Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 165 total)
  • For those who have no idea…
  • rudebwoy
    Free Member

yep, thats what i assumed jamie– so his point is eerr not very informative/relevant/edukative ?

project
    Free Member

Talking to a rental agency bod the other week about the so called bedroom tax, he said they rarely rent to housing benefit claimants, that they wouldnt take a decrease in rent to keep the tenant as they take a percentage of the rent each week,and if the tennant asked for a reduction in rent becauise the councuil wa paying less then tough, they need to move then.

There is going to be a massive wake up call for all the buy to let lot, who need a guaranteed income each week to pay the mortgage,as tennants move on or away from the more expensive areas, and hopefuilly a reduction in private landlords rental incomes, some overcharging for unkempt places, that are a serious risk to residents health and safety.

Mcburgers do have jobs available, but they usually want people with experience of food hygene regs, and customer service, same can be said for most jobs, they want experience off you, and some proof of training.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Last time i checked locally Mcd’s had 500+ applications on file and they estimated they had a one PT job about every 2-3 months

The rent one will be interesting as there is no cheaper housing to move to generally- however if you are homeless we will pick up the tab

i would imagine this policy [ and giving the money direct to claimants rather than landlords] will cost us more money than we save

nicko74

rudebwoy – Member

man alive– Z 11 –you really are clueless !!
    Seems a bit harsh. OP’s friend finds it hard to live on benefits, with a breakdown of costs – and it does sound tough.

But anyone who looks at that and *doesn’t* (at least internally) start with “what jobs are going, minimum wage would be better than benefits” is an eejit. The answer may be “because he can’t work etc etc”, and fair enough, but the first answer is always “are there any jobs in x?”

binners

What a surprise! The usual clueless suspects demonstrating their complete unfamiliarity with the real world, their total lack of empathy, their totally misguided sense of superiority, and casual malice! 🙄

There’s some people on here would be a shoe in at Tory central office.

molgrips
    Free Member

but the first answer is always “are there any jobs in x?”

But why would you assume that that has not occurred to the OP’s mate to ask that question?

I’m sure looking for a job is at the front of his mind.

It’s oh so easy to blame people for not being able to find a job when you’ve never had trouble yourself. Maybe we could arrange for this guy to talk to Z11 on the phone and explain it?

Excellent thread OP.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

the guy has military experience(11 years) plus another eight working with mine clearance, training dogs to find explosives, he is great with dogs– but back here he is lost– PTSD has been diagnosed, so he spent a couple of years on sickness-but finds himself back on JSA, not ideal but hey there are lots worse off !

Junkyard
    Free Member

I think you are all labouring under the mistaken belief that he believes what he says rather than he craves a reaction to what he says.

http://singletrackworld.com/members/zulu-eleven/profile/

I’m me, and no-one else but me, my comments do not reflect on anyone but me, and are not the opinion of my employer, my family and friends, and more often than not even my own opinion

Why react it is what he wants/needs for reason known only to himself.

toys19
    Free Member

I actually think Z11’s analysis just highlights the problems of the benefit trap. By my reckoning the NMW is less than benefits, that £71 a week hides the value of his housing benefit, council tax benefit, free prescriptions etc. anyone receiving this will do a quick calc and work out that Z11’s £217 a week is less than their benefit.

Either way living on the equivalent of 220 odd quid a week sucks and I feel for the umemployed/low waged.

project
    Free Member

The rent one will be interesting as there is no cheaper housing to move to generally- however if you are homeless we will pick up the tab

Its easy for the tennant, if they can stick it out, the tennant stays put, paying the reduced rent every week, and builds up an arrear, after notifying the landlord, letting agent, that the money they have has been reduced ,eventually the landlord or letting agency applies to the courts for the tennant to be evicted, after a few months this is done, by that time the temnnant should hopefully have got somewher else cheaper or a job or a pay rise.

Then the landlord or letting agency has the problem of reletting and paying back the mortgage arrears.

A whole waste of large amounts of time and stress for all.Probably causing civil unrest and major family crisis for all.

I take it this is a response to my thread that was deleted. I’m not taking issue with the thread being deleted and don’t want to stir up a hornets nest – I appreciate the mods decision (and no I wasn’t given a warning).

However, as antagonistic as my OP might have seemed , I was asking the question as to whether anyone actually knew people struggling to make ends meet on benefits , as I don’t see much of it round my way. Obviously an unfair system will create big divides, I just generally see the easy side of it and was genuinely curious as to how many see the hard side of it – wasn’t implying it didn’t exist.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

i started this thread in response to a now deleted one by the artist fromerly known who dida trolling type queston along the lines of “does anybody know of someone struggling on beenefits” –he had some anecdote/stereotype single mother who someone was gossiping about her alleged fecklessness– aha –there is my answer— but you did seem to be trolling with your opening titles etc !

craigxxl
    Free Member

Rudeboy, thanks for the rant.

Get your mate to look into social tariffs. My mate when unemployed did very well out of it. Not only cheaper energy but was also able to have central heating and double glazing fitted with the energy grants from the suppliers.

Why is he having a problem claiming his army pension. There shouldn’t be a problem unless he was kicked out. Redundancy payments are normally generous enough to get you back on your feet again. If he has served his time he would also be entitled to resettlement training so he has a skill to bring into civilian life, why hasn’t this happened?

My skills weren’t transferable when I left the army, not much call for EOD in Tesco’s. I have never been unemployed doing any job to bring in money including mucking out pig sheds. Both my brothers are handicapped from birth and they have managed to work for most of their lives too so please don’t tell me there is nothing out there.

No anecdote or stereotype involved – she lives 200yds from me

Junkyard
    Free Member

ok why are there so many unemployed then – is it really your claim there are jobs for everyone 😯

EDIT:It had many stereotype she smoked weed, she was single mum, she had a part time partner, she bought fags by the hundreds and she drank loads and she was buying an Ipad which you found out from Faceboook- why so coy?

rudebwoy
    Free Member

the real issue is that wages are below poverty levels– £71 plus HB worth £68, plus council tax (£20 week ) means that taking home £160 would see him £1 better off — for working in some menial job– not that he is workshy– but there aint much pride in working for benefits , that also assumes he would be selected– they often want under 25 ‘s for cheapness, maliability etc…

This is a rich country , but the wealth is not even remotely distributed in any manner that would be called ‘fair’– the inequalities that started to narrow after the war– were blown apart under thatcherism and have continued on that trajectory ever since– tory, new labour, tory– same shit , different smell !

Lifer
    Free Member

+1

rudebwoy
    Free Member

craigxxl, not sure when you left, but i can assure you he is struggling to get his ‘entitlement’–he has suffered with PTSD– he goes to a rehab every six months , which seems to help, but it is not an easy process as you seem to imply– he lives in a council flat– its ok, but needs to be heated, as for work– he is not qualified for any trade, has multiple skills, but not paper ones !

thekingisdead
    Free Member

+2

Houns

I’ve been out of work due to illness for about 18 months. I was fortunate/u fortunate enough to be able to move in with parents.
    I was living off £71 ESA a week which was more than enough for me as due to my health I was hardly going out.

However when I became better obviously I wanted work. I applied for 40+ jobs and managed to get one Interview (as it was a woman I used to manage doing the interview) I tried a few agencies who mostly were useless, but the last one I went to there was a guy I managed previously working there and he helped me out.

For 10 days before Christmas I was working for an online jewellers packing orders for NMW. (Which I got taxed on where I shouldn’t have)
    I have then gone 2 weeks without any work or any other money and yesterday started a job for nhs direct, again NMW. I won’t get paid for another 2 weeks, so in total I will have gone 4 weeks without getting any money.

I took these jobs as they meant income, both not what I want to do. I was looking at all sorts, I even applied for a job cleaning endoscopes for the nhs!

So with my experience there are jobs out there, you just need to try and try. Benefits should be a temporary fix not a solution, they should be a last resort. They shouldn’t be taken for granted or used as a ‘wage’ as some people do think.

I do think child benefit cuts should go further, it’d stop some taking the option of having a kid, getting a place and doing **** all. I don’t care what you say, it does happen!

peterfile
    Free Member

Your mate’s situation sucks for sure.

What makes it even worse (for me anyway) is the sheer number of people in a similar situation.

When I was a student I had some mild trouble with my ticker which took 5 months to resolve. I couldn’t be signed back on at work until they got to the bottom of it, which meant that I was on SSP for 5 months. I think it was about £60 a week at the time.

Even as a student, I couldn’t afford to live on anything close to £60 a week.

Ended up living with friends, sleeping behind their sofa in a horribly damp and cold room. My meals consisted of a trip to Sainsbury’s late at night to find anything which looked like it would fill me up and costed no more than 20p. If someone offered to buy me a decent sandwich it was the most amazing treat.

I managed that for a couple of months before I buckled and had to go to family for financial help (
    they were of course upset that I hadn’t from the start).

It seems doable if you work it out on paper, but it really isn’t. We often think of those out of work and on benefits as having a choice, but with SSP I really can’t see how anyone would have that choice (other than through fraud etc).

pingu66
    Free Member

I remember when I became unemployed, going from a good wage to f&ck all was a real shock and as I was out of work for longer than I thought I would be it got really tough on about £50 a week. Mortgage not getting paid, gas and electric to pay for etc etc.

There are people out there that do have no idea at all and I ended up taking anything I could get and blagging my way back into work. I think its even harder now.

I am not in a position to help but not everyone on benefits is an oxygen thief. I hope the that you get sorted with some work soon, hopefully that will give you some security and a better future.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Yes, I left a while ago and faced employers who didn’t want to employ ex-forces full stop. I took the worst jobs and proved myself to them to get better jobs or improve my CV so I could move on.
    Lots of my mates are still leaving the army and aren’t experiencing the same problems. Civvy street is still a shock to them but like most others they just get on with it. For some reason a high percentage of my mates who have left in the last year are doing bin collections through agencies. If he is struggling so much he needs to go to his local British Legion who will be more than willing to help for free.

spchantler
    Free Member

the real issue is that wages haven’t changed, but the cost of living has soared. my oh has had a pay freeze for 4 years, while energy prices have gone thru the roof, despite energy companies making massive profits. open the daily fail any day of the week and the stories will be how middle income families are being squeezed while prices rise. come on you can’t have it both ways, its not that benefits are too high, the cost of living is, and wages are too low.

duckman

I work with young people,they are staying on at school as there are no jobs,even at minimum wage. Mcd’s aren’t hiring and indeed are seen as a plum job because of their rates.And that is in a middle class area,so must be harder for somebody in the situation above
    OP; Hope your mates situation improves for the better soon.

duckman

Double post 😳

Lifer
    Free Member

pingu66 – Member
    I am not in a position to help but not everyone on benefits is an the vast majority of people on benefits are not oxygen thieves.

trailmonkey

I do think child benefit cuts should go further, it’d stop some taking the option of having a kid, getting a place and doing **** all.

no, it would increase child poverty in one of the richest nations on earth.

but as long as it makes you feel better………..

argoose
    Free Member

my army pension won’t be payable until I reach the age of 60.
    So doubt he’d be entitled to anything for a long time.
    Tell him hang in there, it’s always darkest before the dawn

grantway
    Free Member

rudebwoy – Member
    grantway–his dad is dead, and his mum is in a home, sometimes wonder about folk — do they have so little life experience ?

Hello then correctly explain first Rudeboy you did not say any of this at first
    so give the correct info so we may correctly advise

spchantler
    Free Member

http://m.ippr.org/articles/56/8893/budget-2012-breaking-down-the-benefits-bill one click away. 3% on jsa, 3% on esa (poorly people), 4% on income support. its them scrounging pensioners, never done a days work in their lives….stop their benefits!

convert

So, genuine non-troll question….

If take home on a full time job on minimum wage is £217 pw with rent & council tax contributions to find out of that and the basic state pension is £107pw what would you like JSA increased to, if increased is indeed what you would like to see it?

Subsidiary question – if you were in charge of the Work and Pensions ministry and had no more funds in the pot coming from the treasury (and assuming the bureaucracy money pit could not be rung dry of any further savings) what would you cut to make those increases?

brakes
    Free Member

what would you cut to make those increases?

the throats of Tories.

RichPenny
    Free Member

However, as antagonistic as my OP might have seemed , I was asking the question as to whether anyone actually knew people struggling to make ends meet on benefits , as I don’t see much of it round my way. Obviously an unfair system will create big divides, I just generally see the easy side of it and was genuinely curious as to how many see the hard side of it – wasn’t implying it didn’t exist.

I’ve never really spent that much time with people on benefits, mainly due to luck really. The one that immediately springs to mind was a friend of a friend, who died of pneumonia in his mid 30’s a few years back. If you met him socially, like I did, you might just see the easy side of it (never more than a foot away from a case of stella). The hard side of it (seldom eating and not heating his flat) might be invisible.

jota180
    Free Member

what would you cut to make those increases?

Well if Brakes’ wonderful idea din’t bear fruit perhaps the extra [higher rate] tax relief on pension contributions

RichPenny
    Free Member

I’ve never really spent that much time with people on benefits, mainly due to luck really.

I’ve just re-read that and it makes me sound like a bit of a ****. So I’ve left it in 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’ve just re-read that and it makes me sound like a bit of a ****.

Yeah, I thought that too. 🙂

Sandwich

The issue isn’t benefits being too generous but job subsidy by the government. NMW should be livable wage with no need for tax credit top-ups. Those of us with pension funds might have to get used to a lower return on our portfolios to pay for it.
    Squaring that circle would get my vote. At the rate the system is proceeding there will be large scale civil unrest this year.

Northwind

Blatantly stolen from another forum, but I liked this:

project
    Free Member

I’ve never really spent that much time with people on benefits, mainly due to luck really.

I’ve just re-read that and it makes me sound like a bit of a tory bore. So I’ve left it in

filled in the blanks

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 165 total)

The topic ‘For those who have no idea…’ is closed to new replies.