Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • for those that like their Architecture
  • Klunk
    Free Member
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

I like my buildings but for architecture I’ll have to ask outlaws… they can tell me if it’s good or not 😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ohhhh ta for that, excellent topic and excellent presenter.. ideal match that.. 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ourmaninthenorth

Klunk – I love you!

Am a big fan of Meades – get his DVD boxset if you don’t already have it. And also of Brutalism – we’re going to have a single storey extension to our (brick built) 60s bungalow. I’m trying to get the architect to slip in a reference to brutalism in there (much to Mrs North’s annoyance!).

EDIT: I spent 2 weeks on jury service in Preston last year. Parked every day in the magnificent (and now listed!) Preston Bus Station.

globalti
    Free Member

Ugh! There’s so much egotism in architecture – that Zaha Hadid has the biggest ego of them all.

This is good architecture: human scaled, modest, practical, enduring and still looks as fresh as the day it was built (the architect is a family friend, we used to climb with him and I helped build the garden so I admit to being somewhat biased.)

A Garden and Three Houses

Ourman – when were you on the jury at Preston? I was there 12 to 23 August. Only sat on one case though. I quite liked the bus station car park; it’s grubby but works well and is easy to use.

Yak

Peter Aldington’s Garden and Three Houses is a real inspiration. Beautiful spaces, great play with light and shade, simple materials and a great relationship with the garden. Possibly my favourite piece of small scale residential architecture ever.

A great project for you to be involved with.

globalti
    Free Member

I cycled 7 miles each way on my BSA roadster and he paid me 15 pence an hour to labour in the garden! He has been an inspiration to me all though my life.

AlexSimon

Thanks for the link about Peter Aldington

Just found this video done by English Heritage

[video]http://vimeo.com/76851608[/video]

aP
    Free Member

I’ve always liked a bit of béton brut, and Jonathan Meade has a nice dry presenting style. Him and Will Alsop drunk and trying to outdo each other is a bit much though. Will definitely be recording this.

globalti
    Free Member

The Turn End garden is equally beautiful, it’s opened to the public a couple of days a year by the RHS.

My Dad painted the picture you see at 1:47 – very seventies!

ourmaninthenorth

Ooh, will check out the Peter Aldington link. Thanks.

@globalti – March last year. Only did one case as well. Was interesting for me – I’m a solicitor (albeit one who’s never been on the inside of any court). I didn’t tell any of my fellow jurors what I did until we’d finished.

ourmaninthenorth

Just watched it. I’ve heard of his name, but had never seen the houses. Not all of it is to my taste outside (though the gardens are wonderful – good work globalti!), but inside the appearance of flow and the light are amazing. I want my home to feel like that.

Yak

Lovely video.
    We had a whole practice trip there about 12 years ago. There is just something humbling about the craft of using simple materials well in creating unique but really habitable spaces.

project
    Free Member

Excellent programe about arcitecture last night on bbc 4 and again for the next 2 weeks.

We need more programes like these not lost in a celebrity big brother jungle,with an ice rink and ballroom tosh

AlexSimon

It’s a shame that TV has become so dreadful, that I have stopped watching live TV completely. But it does mean I miss out on some gems.

Sometimes I’m lucky to catch things on iPlayer because people post something like this. Please continue to post about good TV programmes!

(A highlight for me last year was a programme on Outsider Art with Alan Yentob)

globalti
    Free Member

AS, have you been watching Pain, Pus and Poison? It’s very entertaining.

AlexSimon

No I haven’t, but I’ve added it to the list – thanks globalti
    (ooh weird, by typing your name, I only just realised it’s Global Ti!)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘for those that like their Architecture’ is closed to new replies.