Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • For the home mechanics: what wheel truing setup?
  • robarnold
    Free Member

I’ve always trued my own wheels with varying success, especially when I started but becoming more proficient these days. I’ve always used my dad’s stand and with previous wheel sets (usually Pro II) have always had the spacers to hand to convert them back to QR to make them fit.

Now, however, I’ve got a set of Crossmax Enduro on one bike that I can’t convert back to QR and 700c wheels on the droppy and would also like my own stand and dishing tool.

Any recommendations to fit varying wheel size and axle? I’ve had a quick look on CRC and all reviews of the Park stands seem pretty scathing. Any real world experiences?

Ta

nickjb
    Free Member

🙂

neilwheel
    Free Member

The TS2.2 “professional” stand is a good tool but the QC is variable, as you may have read. The first one I received was returned, the second was acceptable but still needed calibrating. Once dialled in it works.

I was able to purchase mine at trade cost, don’t think I would want to pay retail price.

isitafox
    Free Member

The Jobsworth one from Planet X is pretty much a carbon copy of a Park tools one and a hell of a lot cheaper. I got one myself a few months back and it’s spot on!

chip
    Free Member

Nickjb +1

I stick a cable tie on one or both chainstays which I twist round to just make contact with the rim.

takisawa2

Jigs are ok for attaching to the dining table when the Wife is away.
    But last few builds have been on a frame or firk.

The excellent Wheelpro pdf book gives a cutting guide for making your own.

plyphon
    Free Member

i sellotape cocktail sticks to my forks and then gently pushed them through the tape until they were touching the wobbles. then i trued until straight!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Nickjb +1

I stick a cable tie on one or both chainstays which I twist round to just make contact with the rim.

That’s what I do too, & have done for 20 odd years. 🙂

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I tape the little red straw from a can of WD40 to the chain stay and push it in to touch the wobbles.

To get the dish for the rear wheel flip the wheel over from time to time whilst leaving the aforementioned straw in position.

I also built my own truing stand out of 25mm angle iron from a design on instructables.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘For the home mechanics: what wheel truing setup?’ is closed to new replies.