Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • For the Grammar Nazi’s
  • redthunder
    Free Member

😉

Shit picture.. It was a drive by snap.

davey_clayton
    Free Member

Personally I don’t think Nazi’s should have an apostrophe there. You could argue that etymologically the word has its roots in an abbreviation but I think in common usage it’s become a word in its own right. In any case if it was an abbreviation you should have capitalised it.

Fagus
    Free Member

Nazi’s?????????????????

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    davey_clayton
    Free Member

However I’m impressed the vandal has used the apostrophe correctly in the word “thehe’s”

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I suspect that’s written by someone for whom English is not their first language.

Regardless; fair play to them!

Hairychested
    Free Member

RB is probably right, you Brits wouldn’t be allowed by the moronic PC brigade 🙂

Fagus
    Free Member

RB is probably right, you Brits wouldn’t be allowed by the moronic PC brigade

That’s not gramatically correct.

Brits wouldn’t be allowed what, by the ….brigade.

ourmaninthenorth

Brits wouldn’t be allowed what, by the ….brigade

Spotted dick and custard.

zokes
    Free Member

Who are they then?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I wonder if there’s a word for the German alternative to acronyms where they take a syllable from each word instead of a letter ?

eg: Geheime Stats Polizei = GeStaPo

GrahamS
    avdave2

So if there is nothing good about a man who tries to kill Adolf the rest of us can’t have very much going for us. Don’t tell me your great and noble thoughts and intentions, tell me what you have done that is better than trying to assassinate the fuhrer. I think it’s more than the language they are failing to grasp.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I think the problem is, that the bloke was still a Nazi. IE, still an ‘orrible bastard.

And that Tom Cruise is trying to glorify him.

Tom Cruise is a tit, anyway.

avdave2

He may well have been a Nazi RB and yet despite that he tried to do something far better and lets be honest braver than any of us will ever attempt. I wouldn’t want to see him as a role model or anything it’s just that I find the contrast between who he was and what he tried to do very interesting. I think it shows the weakness of labels.

eldridge
    Free Member

Praps worth pointing out that the German generals behind the plot wanted Hitler dead because his incompetent, chaotic leadership was losing them the war – i.e. they still clung to the idea of a 1000 year Reich with Germany occupying most of Europe.

Their failure actually shortened the war, and meant we were spared a Europe run in the interests of the Prussian military caste of which von Stauffenberg was a prime scion

Complicated stuff, history (as opposed to Hollywood remakes of it)

andym
    Free Member

FWIW, according to Wikipedia he was never a member of the Nazi party:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claus_Schenk_Graf_von_Stauffenberg

alpin
    Free Member

stauffenberg was a career officer of the prussian junker class. his family had always had a military heritage, even before the unification of germany in 1871.

he and many people only on the fringes of hte attempt on hitler died and their families severely persecuted and sent to the camps.

‘abküzung’ would be the german word to describe the abbrevation of Gestapo. ‘akronym’ is also used but Gestapo isn’t a proper acronym.

J

chakaping
    Free Member

Like what you did with the thread title.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘For the Grammar Nazi’s’ is closed to new replies.