Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • For anyone thinking of buying a new Macbook, iPhone, iMAc etc
  • vinnyeh

… don’t forget to leave room in your budget for a screen polishing cloth.

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MM6F3ZM/A/polishing-cloth

At least I assume it’s for polishing your screen, and not anything else.

bridges
    Free Member

Lol! Ridiculous. But at least it’s cheaper than the therapy needed after trying to use Windows… 😉

I do like the new HomePod Mini colours though. And £10 cheaper now.

hpm

zilog6128

Almost as bad as the £5.5k monitor which, as far as I can tell, comes with neither a stand nor a mount 😀

I do like the new HomePod Mini colours though. And £10 cheaper now.

yeah they are funky. But the old colours have been available with decent discounts for a while – paid £69 each for the last few I got!

bridges
    Free Member

Almost as bad as the £5.5k monitor which, as far as I can tell, comes with neither a stand nor a mount 😀

😀 Seen the quality of that thing though? Amazing. Probably about £2000 more than it should be mind, compared to similar type products. And yes; the stand is a joke. As are the little wheels for the Mac Pro. £699 for a set of castors.

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MX572ZM/A/apple-mac-pro-wheels-kit?fnode=ab7abde2938f9344ef797cf7672080c3636209594f4cc8c8de5c66f40125d90ee644e41f1eb68adcc64956ec4ca4dedcffcff0778a5e415ee712f6fafe192868ca36aca1b5b19d60664cb5bbc5350ff8807889e24c84dcaa1790181a7a04e0dc

yeah they are funky. But the old colours have been available with decent discounts for a while – paid £69 each for the last few I got!

Mind if I ask from where? I do think £89 is still a good price for such a quality product though; no similarly sized speaker comes close for sound quality in my opinion. Apple may make some insanely expensive products, but most stuff really is that bit better than the competition. The original HomePod is way better than anything Sonos etc make. Be interesting to see the performance of the new M1 Pro and Max MacBook Pro machines.

Kuco

I have an Air pod and the sound quality is good.

Watched the new Macbook launch yesterday. I have been thinking of getting a new Macbook Air but I am tempted for the new 14″ Macbook.

thols2

Although the 1K for a video cable will always be my MVP.

molgrips
    Free Member

Almost as bad as the £5.5k monitor which, as far as I can tell, comes with neither a stand nor a mount

The fact the monitor is £5.5k isn’t really the issue, it’s the fact the stand is **** £949.

Jamze

😀 Seen the quality of that thing though? Amazing.

I think when the monitor launched they were trying to pitch it against stuff like Sony reference monitors that are £30k.

Interested to see what these new M1 Pro/Max laptops are like though. Still on my 2015, glad they’ve given up on dongles 🙂

Superficial
    Free Member

The monitor stand furore was more than two years ago. It’s still of no relevance to any of us. Why let it upset you?

zilog6128

@bridges it was Very (think AO were the same), only last month although I see they’re back to full price now! Worth setting up an alert though on HUKD which is what I’d done. I expect they’ll be some bargains again soon, Black Friday for example.

The monitor stand furore was more than two years ago

still funny though 🤣

the-muffin-man

Our first Mac set-up and Laserwriter II cost over £10,000 +VAT back in the early 90’s.

Apple kit is good value now compared to the olden days! 🙂

grum
    Free Member

New MacBook Pros look great, they took a wrong turn with the last updates – actually think it takes courage to admit they got it wrong and go back on some stuff. 50% charge in half an hour and 17 hours on a full charge, yes please 🙂

allanoleary
    Free Member

I’d love a maxed out MacBook Pro 16″….. but at £6,100 I’ll have to wait for that lottery win. Then maybe the screen wipe would seem good value.

kelvin

It’s still of no relevance to any of us.

Not only that… why supply a stand as standard when studios using this kind of monster nearly always mount them using VESA and tend to bin supplied stands on day one?

Likewise castors… who cares how much they cost with 99% of users don’t use them, and those that do require them to be utterly bombproof in a work environment?

I’d love a maxed out MacBook Pro 16″….. but at £6,100 I’ll have to wait for that lottery win.

Why do you need it maxed out? Selling the render farm?

somafunk

don’t forget to leave room in your budget for a screen polishing cloth.

Is it backwards compatible with the intel imacs?

molgrips
    Free Member

The monitor stand furore was more than two years ago. It’s still of no relevance to any of us. Why let it upset you?

I’m not upset, in fact I am laughing!

seosamh77
    Free Member

grum
    New MacBook Pros look great, they took a wrong turn with the last updates – actually think it takes courage to admit they got it wrong and go back on some stuff.

or it was just a long term strategy in the shift over to m1. 😆

allanoleary
    Free Member

Why do you need it maxed out?

I don’t. I just want one.

Sandwich

I don’t. I just want one.

A valid reason.

slowoldman

Not only that… why supply a stand as standard when studios using this kind of monster nearly always mount them using VESA and tend to bin supplied stands on day one?

Indeed. At the last place I worked we had shelves groaning with monitor stands which came in the box but all our desks are VESA. Seems a good idea to me to offer the choice.

revs1972
    Free Member

£6,100

You could buy a bike for that

sce2aux
    Free Member

Boom. Been waiting for these MBPs to land for ages. M1 Max 16” inbound.

Shall be paired with a Pro Display XDR. Debating whether to get the stand or just pay an actual human to stand there holding it while I use it….

Although you do get a polishing cloth included with the nano glass XDR. So I’ve pretty much saved £19.

cb

More importantly, when are they likely to pair the mbp with free stuff!? I got Beats headphones last time and I want something this time as well!!

TiRed

it takes courage to admit they got it wrong and go back on some stuff.

And six years – 2015 wants its MBP back. Made a big thing about the new scissor keyboards, not so much about the reintroduction of… Errrr ports and function keys.

Still I’d quite like one now it has the functionality of my old one (mid-2012 quad i7, still lovely to use) and better battery and processor power. Retina screens are wasted on my eyesight!

itlab
    Free Member

More importantly, when are they likely to pair the mbp with free stuff!? I got Beats headphones last time and I want something this time as well!!

that sounds like the back to school offer that they do for students

that usually runs around august/September/October. this years finished last week.

there will probably be something for Black Friday. last year it was buy a Mac get something like a £100\£50 gift card which would cover a set of the cheaper beats

or if you know a student then they can get 10% off via uni days or the edustore

sharkbait
    Free Member

“The polishing cloths are made from a special attenuated Nappa nanofiber. Apple R&D has perfected the polarization of each nano filament into a plane of alternating wave forms, what we’re calling Schrodinger Adhesors. And the results are incredible: with a single wipe you can’t tell if 57% of the visible surface matter is there or not. With two wipes this goes up to an incredible 84%. There has never been a more effective way to uncertainly eliminate the appearance of visible surface matter before.”

It’s not all good news though….

allanoleary
    Free Member

It’s not all good news though….

Yeah, all of Apple’s new products are suffering. I pre-ordered an iPhone 13 Pro Max 1Tb in the build up to launch on 24th Sept and it’s just been delayed until the end of next week.

Coyote
    Free Member

On the subject of the HomePods. Any rumours about the replacement for the larger HomePod?

scuttler

Likewise castors… who cares how much they cost with 99% of users don’t use them, and those that do require them to be utterly bombproof in a work environment?

Are they compatible with a desert war zone or only certified for the polished floors of a converted New York loft? They’re castors and for the same reasons many mountain bike wheels are 29in, barely work on anything that’s not flat and smooth. Daft.

metcalt

Is it backwards compatible with the intel imacs?

Only just, and anyone still running an iPhone 5S or older will just have to make do with their sleeve.

molgrips
    Free Member

My work laptop is up for replacement in 2023. There’s usually MBPs and a selection of Lenovo machines on offer. I got a 13″ MBP for portability and the ability to be used on a plane in economy, but that might not be needed any more. If the new ones are 14″ then I might go back to Lenovo which was also 14″

Sandwich

So I’ve pretty much saved £19.

That’s a win!

I pre-ordered an iPhone 13 Pro Max 1Tb in the build up to launch on 24th Sep

Mine arrived on the Saturday after launch (Friday 1pm order confirmation), seems you were unlucky or ordered in the evening.

bridges
    Free Member

£399 for a £29 AirTag wrapped in a bit of leather?

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MMNC3ZM/A/airtag-hermès-luggage-tag-gold

I wonder if you get a discount for four…?

Sandwich

@bridges Check out the Hermes branded watches for pricing silliness! Nice to have but not that nice!

cb

@molgrips – the rumour was that the new 14″ MBPs were the same size as the old 13″ version – just less bezel. Haven’t checked the numbers myself yet though.

kelvin

Dimensions:
    0.61 x 12.31 x 8.71 inches
    0.61 x 11.97 x 8.36 inches

17mm wider, and 9mm deeper.

bridges
    Free Member

@bridges Check out the Hermes branded watches for pricing silliness! Nice to have but not that nice!

I really don’t get the Hermès brand at all. It seems little more than a brand which acts as a signifier of wealth. I get that some people like their scarves. I have absolutely no idea why a pair of jogging bottoms needs to cost £1370 though.

https://www.hermes.com/uk/en/product/jogging-pants-with-leather-detail-H167510HA76LA/

Especially considering you can get leisurewear for a lot less. Seems **** tax is very high these days.

Apple, on the other hand, do at least make very high quality products which work well and last for a decent length of time. Unlike most other computer brands. So I can recognise the ‘value’ in their ‘ordinary’ products. And if there are fools with more money than sense, then taking it form them is a sport.

footflaps

I have absolutely no idea why a pair of jogging bottoms needs to cost £1370 though.

I think the people buying them wouldn’t care if they cost twice that. Products like those are a solution for extremem inequality, they help the rich spend their money.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘For anyone thinking of buying a new Macbook, iPhone, iMAc etc’ is closed to new replies.