For all you classified scammers!

Home Forum Bike Forum For all you classified scammers!

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • For all you classified scammers!
  • Slogo

snippet from the Echo.

ADAM CRAIG REES aged 29 of Norwich Avenue West, Bournemouth. Admitted fraud by false representation by taking money for bicycle parts and not supplying them, intending to make a gain of £270. Also sentenced for original offence in respect of which a conditional discharge was made in March 2013 – stealing £160. Community order made to be under a curfew for six weeks and be electronically monitored. To pay compensation of £270.

I think this is good news, hope we see less of these!

Dont use paypal GIFT!

Was this on STW?

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

I did a google search and couldn’t find his real name on stw.

Slogo

pink bike, southern down hill. im sure ive seen the name on here.

malvernite

I’m happy to buy by Paypal gift off someone who has 20 pages of history on Singletrack as many of you do and are well known to each other.
    Anyone who buys of someone who has just registered by PP gift needs their head read. I guess some people cannot resist a ‘bargain’.

bomberman

I came close to being scammed for an iphone 5 on here, the seller concocted a different thread about how he’d received two apple macbooks and was in a “dilemma” about what he should do – keep it or send it back. He went quiet after i paid him, no comms whatsoever and then totally out of the blue refunded me in full. Almost as though he had lost his balls.

The only thing stopping him take my money was that i flat out refused to pay paypal gift, and paid the fees instead. Any seller worth his or her salt will split the fees, they’re not that much and it’s a small price to pay for the security.

Also it’s a good idea to have a look at a seller’s profile and see their forum history: New members asking for paypal gift are not to be trusted.

hora

How was he caught? That’d be good to know and the route to prosecution.

bomberman

Anyone who buys of someone who has just registered by PP gift needs their head read

Exactly.

soma_rich

Wouldn’t get that bad a sentence for killing someone on a bike.

Still good to see thieves getting justice.

Bomber – I remember the Mac thread.

Not sure you can say ‘close to being scammed’ when he refunded you!

malvernite

Flipping it the other way round.
    If you are a Singletrack Veteran, would you sell to a newly registered person with normal Paypal?
    As well as buyer beware, seller beware.

hora

Anyone who buys of someone who has just registered by PP gift needs their head read

Its a happened a fair few times. Mental. Its almost like ‘BARGAIN buy quick before anyone else’.

khani

Flipping it the other way round.
    If you are a Singletrack Veteran, would you sell to a newly registered person with normal Paypal?
    As well as buyer beware, seller beware.

That is a valid point, ages ago I refunded a normal paypal payment for some Fox 36’s because the buyer then wanted delivery to his dad’s work address rather than the registered paypal address..
    It’s a bloody minefield buying and selling stuff nowadays

Premier Icon amedias
    Subscriber

I’ve started selling less and less via forums and ebay these days, local Facebook groups and Bike jumbles are proving a much less stressful way of moving on my 2nd hand bits, I often let them go for a bit less than I could get for them on forums or ebay but you avoid the fees, avoid the hassle and avoid the postage costs.

Also, part of me likes the idea of keeping the bits ‘local’ as well, not sure why but just feels better than shipping things all over the country, and I like handing things over in person so that any concerns or questions can be dealt with face to face before any problems occur.

In fact the lcoal ‘Buy and Sell Cycling stuff…’ group on FB has been great recently, shifted a few bits that were cluttering up the loft within 48 hrs of putting them up for sale I’ve been paid and have the space back!

Premier Icon cookeaa
    Subscriber

It’s a tricky one really, There are some bargains to be had via PB’s Classifieds, but it is also awash with time wasters and scammers, I’ve not touched Ride IO for a long while, and STW classified listings mostly seem to have enthusiastic estimations of value TBH.

Also, part of me likes the idea of keeping the bits ‘local’ as well, not sure why but just feels better than shipping things all over the country, and I like handing things over in person so that any concerns or questions can be dealt with face to face before any problems occur.

Me too, Partly because I need to flog some bulky items soon (Frames, wheels, whole Bikes, etc) and don’t like the idea of lots of boxing and posting, and partly for the simplicity/minimal carbon foot print of just handing something over for cash to someone local…

I know you can always list stuff for “Local pickup only” on classifieds and ebay but the first question you get is always, “Will you post to the arse end of nowhere?”.

TBH I’ve let the side down on occasion, paying for low value items as a “PP Gift” but the last thing I bought from PB, I insisted on paying for it as a bought item and I added a small sum to the payment to cover the seller’s fee’s at their request. TBH if they kick up a fuss about that, I reckon it’s time to walk…

hora

Agree on local. I like the uncomfortable conversation that lasts 5mins, shuffling of feet then ‘oh, best get off now back to the internet/IT job’

Premier Icon amedias
    Subscriber

Agree on local. I like the uncomfortable conversation that lasts 5mins, shuffling of feet then ‘oh, best get off now back to the internet/IT job’

😀

Either that or the clandestine car-park rendez-vous with the quick cash/parts swappery and niggling feeling you might be about to bundled into a van and kidnapped, only to find the most smiling and friendly person you could ever hope to meet!

Kit

Not everyone with a long posting history can be trusted to conduct themselves in a fair and adult way…

hora

Not everyone with a long posting history can be trusted to conduct themselves in a fair and adult way…

You told me the sexswing was cleaned properly. 😐

I remember having text-convos’ with someone who couldn’t spell and kept on putting pal or mate on. So come frame handover time I took someone and his trusty Border Terrier….bloke also turned up with a mate as he too was worried about me nicking his money 😆

ekul

Either that or the clandestine car-park rendez-vous with the quick cash/parts swappery and niggling feeling you might be about to bundled into a van and kidnapped, only to find the most smiling and friendly person you could ever hope to meet!

Haha, this has just reminded me of meeting a guy at a service station to pick up a Nomad frame for my brother on the way down to his. He turned up in a blacked out Navara and we immediately thought ‘Oh god, what are we dealing with’ then out steps this ridiculously good looking surfer dude. One of the nicest guys I’d met. Handed the frame straight over with everything as promised and wished us well on our way… I still see his pearly white smile when close my eyes to sleep sometimes…

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

Yeah, but watsontony has gone now.

Kit

Yeah, but watsontony has gone now

Thank **** for that! Wait. Who’s watsontony?

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

Long time poster who threw it all away after scamming 3 people for about £70 worth (combined) of stuff

malvernite

Not that I do, but probably best if you post that you are buying something off someone on their for sale thread or else the seller could sell it 10 times over, especially if it is a ‘bargain’. That way only one person at a time will get scammed.

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

from the pinkbike link

flag mattygee020671 (9 hours ago)
    he got off lightley, he recently ( after this) scammed someone for 400 gbp
    + 1
    flag Russyh (3 hours ago)
    I was the bloke he conned out of £400. Which to be honest the price was not too good to be true, it was really a market price. However I have heard nothing from the police or actionfraud. How do I progress it further I want this bloke taken to court again!

Premier Icon takisawa2
    Subscriber

I still see his pearly white smile when close my eyes to sleep sometimes…

Ok…. 😉

Moral of the story, meet nice handsome men in carparks…

😕

Premier Icon tom200
    Subscriber

So he got done for stealing £270 and had to pay £270 in compo, how’s that an incentive not to scam? There must have been loads of other he’s scammed.

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

And that pay on pink bike implied he’d since scanned someone else for 400 quid

Premier Icon russyh
    Subscriber

He did mate yes, me £400 light and a major hollowing from my wife for buying things off the internet. Face to face and a wedge of cash from now on. Got to contact the police Monday to update them around my part of the case, but I can confirm I was ripped off this month and to the tune of £400

MoseyMTB

RusseyH how did you pay?

I got scammed for a MacBook last year but paid by normal paypal which saw me right in a couple of days.

Adam rees has scammed way more than 270! im trying to get the people i know of to contact dorset police and push for a further arrest of their cases. it seems that the system just lets you down as all of these that have been scammed have contacted the police, have registered the crime with action fraud but nothing has been done. when released he scammed straight away to pay his fine!!!!!

He’s scammed my northern mate out of 210 quid for a pair of wheels a few months ago, we knew he was from Bournemouth but not sure where. That address will be useful.

daisbuys

What a weasel!!!

I been scammed by him by £50 this week!

Said he had £100 of CRC vouchers for sale, and low and behold…no vouchers!

I did pay by paypal goods, twice! But said it was a problem his end as payment was pending on each occasion. So he refunded me twice and decided to take the bank transfer route, and goodbye money!!!

If I can get his address I will take a drive down there….

The fecker is still at it, did someone out of a shock on facebook this week. really hope someone meets up with him soon. search for jodie anne rees on facebook, thats his mrs (she is fully aware of what he does) and u will see a picture of the perp in question.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘For all you classified scammers!’ is closed to new replies.