• This topic has 53 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by stuey.
Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • For all the green car drivers etc
  • Greybeard
    Free Member

Will one of those Jags pull a caravan to the West coast of Scotland loaded with bikes & sea fishing gear without stopping every hour for 2 hours to recharge? Thought not

Actually yes it will so there

I think it depends where you start from…

use the 100kV chargers that Jaguar say will charge it in 45 minutes

Do you mean 100kW (not kV)?

boomerlives
    Free Member

Quite possibly. 🙂

nickdavies

Hang on, I want to complain. I’ve got a P – I shouldn’t see ads…

andyl
    Free Member

Towing capacity is only 750kg so going to have to be a small caravan.

aP
    Free Member

Are those the Jaaaaags built in Austria? So they might actually be reliable.

Northwind

Hmm. My car is 15 years old, was saved from scrapping in Japan and shipped over here in a slow boat, and runs on lpg. Is it more or less green than this thing?

boomerlives
    Free Member

tests are showing 150 – 200 mile range from a single charge, that far exceeds the average UK journey. Or are you assuming something different?

Well if you think about how long the average UK journey is; 50% of journeys must be longer than that…

fossy

A Jag with more electrical gremlins built in… haahhhhaaaa

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well if you think about how long the average UK journey is; 50% of journeys must be longer than that…

Average UK journey is really short so just for an idea of what 200 miles is it’s Manchester to Glasgow, how many people are doing that everyday in one journey?

Even 150 miles is a solid 3hrs just about anywhere in the UK.

Northwind

boomerlives

If you’re doing the median, sure. But that wouldn’t make any sense here, we use the mean. (and there’s absolutely no way you’d get even 100 miles as the median)

boomerlives
    Free Member

Even disregarding range, Electric is always going to be at a disadvantage when a fill up takes 8 hours, not a couple of minutes.

When all the diesel drivers are forced into electric when they all start charging up, the lights are going to dim…

It’s not really the answer, it’s an answer to a current question with cureent tech. Hydrogen fuel cell tech is much more workable.

Hybrid isn’t because the IC is always going to be a crutch for when the battery inevitably runs out, and you can replace electrons with hydrocarbons…

wobbliscott
    Free Member

A charge doesn’t take 8 hrs. Most of the new ev’s can be fast charged to nearly full in about 25 mins. So grab a coffee, a quick toilet stop and you’re good for another 290 miles. Ok, not a few minutes but not so long as to render them useless. But again how often do you actually go on a drive more than about 200+ miles? For most of us a few times a year probably so if a couple of coffee stops en route bothers you so much just rent a car for those few times a year you want the range. You’ll easily save enough in fuel costs to fund that.

luket

wobbliscott

A charge doesn’t take 8 hrs. Most of the new ev’s can be fast charged to nearly full in about 25 mins. So grab a coffee, a quick toilet stop and you’re good for another 290 miles. Ok, not a few minutes but not so long as to render them useless. But again how often do you actually go on a drive more than about 200+ miles? For most of us a few times a year probably so if a couple of coffee stops en route bothers you so much just rent a car for those few times a year you want the range. You’ll easily save enough in fuel costs to fund that.

This^

Some will always see change as negative and rail against it but once experienced these arguments will be long forgotten. Cars invoke an emotional reaction in people and they’re wedded to them, with the ICE being a big part of that. But it’ll change. I suspect once they move to EVs the same people won’t want to go back.

In a relatively small country like the UK the argument is even more pronounced. Longest drive I do with any regularity is from Devon to the Scottish Borders. I consider that a long journey requiring a break, and not one I want to do more than a few times a year. Personally I’d probably take more than one break. The longer range current EVs can nearly do that in one charge. And those numbers are changing all the time. Soon enough a real life day-to-day 200+ mile range will be the EV norm. The argument that this enforced break is a major inconvenience is therefore pretty weak – it hardly ever happens and is pretty much necessary for other reasons when it does.

This inconvenience will be material to some, but only to a miniscule minority. If they don’t change it doesn’t really matter. I suspect there are many more who think they’re in that minority but aren’t.

Short journeys

10% of jourenys are over 20 miles, although they account for 50% of miles. What proportion of journeys and miles are over 200 miles long I don’t know, but it won’t be many.

stuey
    Free Member

Electric vehicles emit more CO2 than diesel …

carbon footprint of a car is 720kg for every £1,000 you spend on it.

… still looking for the article about modern diesels being worse real world polluters than ten year old cars…

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘For all the green car drivers etc’ is closed to new replies.