Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Footwear – best all rounder for walking, scrambling, occasional cycling, etc
  • Riofer
    Free Member

I’m after some shoes for all round outdoor activities. Mainly walking with a bit of scrambling, occasional flat pedal riding and general use when camping and out and about.

I’ve been looking at five-tens to get a shoe with good grip and found the Aescents (described on the CRC website as “a single-shoe quiver” :?), but ideally want something a little more weather resistant that these look.

Any recommendations for a good all rounder?

dirtydog
    Free Member

Salomon make some nice comfy/lightweight multi-use boots, have a pair of their synapse mids, they have been excellent (comfortable, supportive, waterproof and lightweight).

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/footwear/walking-shoes/mens/curlews-waterproof-shoe-p10979.aspx?cl=LIGHT%20BROWN

Recently got a pair of these for all-round use and so far they’re great. Cheap too, and MW have a good range of other shoes/boots if you’re after something different.

tomkerton
    Free Member

I’ve been using Merrel chameleon with a vibram sole for everything that isn’t cycling for years. On my third pair.

fasthaggis

Same as ^^ Merrel

jam-bo

merrels are lethal in the wet.

five ten camp four or guide tennie for me depending on what I can find on offer.

sandwicheater

Had these as my everyday show for the last couple of years. Scarpa Crux

Been excellent, stiff sole, very good for scrambling. Not a full on walking shoe though so a more rugged sole is likely available.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/scarpa-crux-p203608

tang
    Free Member

Five Ten or Adidas terra x. Basically a stealth rubber sole for something ‘all round’ that includes pedal work!

kcal

Merrell also wear out shockingly fast if you (as I do) use them as comfy footwear for nipping down the shops, out for a walk. Fine in the outdoors country style, rubbish for general use.

Treat were quite good – love my Salomons at the moment – not sure what kind exactly but a general XC use, solid arch support and good heels too.

ransos
    Free Member

Meindl every time. I practically live in these: http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/meindl-respond-gtx-trail-shoes-p276873

slowoldman

Haglofs Vertigo are my default do anything shoes. North Face “Buildering” used to be the best but they were discontinued and have not been replaced with anything approaching their quality.

BikePawl
    Free Member

Five ten guide tennies would get my vote.

miketually
    Free Member

I got some cheap Karrimor shoes, that look a bit like Merrell Chameleons, years ago that have been great. I wear them for MTBing, commuting, dog walking, gardening, and did a 16 mile walk in them last year. No blisters, waterproof, comfy and seemingly indestructible.

loddrik
    Free Member

Just bought some Merrell Chameleon for work and bike. They are really hard wearing and pretty tough. Damn comfy too.

It’s a shame all the five ten bike specific shoes look so utterly utterly shite.

However the five ten tennies look great and will probably be the next shoes I buy. So. Much nicer looking than all the others.

andy4d

I love merrells, never had an issue and they always last so well for me. Had various types, currently using merrell axis for what you decribe, and they are going into thier 3rd year so looking to get another pair.

growinglad
    Free Member

Scarpa?

richmtb

Merrell also wear out shockingly fast if you (as I do) use them as comfy footwear for nipping down the shops, out for a walk. Fine in the outdoors country style, rubbish for general use.

Merrell’s seem to be variable quality these days. Had a pair of Moab GTX that lasted me years. Replaced them with the same and the inside of the heels has fallen apart after a year.

I’ll try something different for my next pair, Adidas Terra or Salomon next probably

Cougar

Salomon’s are my go to. I’m on my second pair of Salomon Vega’s, they pop up on offer at Go Outdoors periodically.

slowoldman

Scarpa?

Scarpa are my boots of choice (‘cos they fit my feet) but I’ve never been so keen on their approach shoes. I have just bought a pair of Scarpa Crux though. They seem stiffer than previous models but I reckon they will be only for warm dry conditions. Not really an all-rounder.

Stoner
    Free Member

Im a bit contrarian when it comes to approach shoes. I actively ignore anything with a Vibram sole – you never get any of the decent compounds just a branded plastic sole.

No matter how much I spend I wear approach shoes out in <24months. I wear them pretty much all the time except for 1 day a week. So I buy £20-30 Field & Trek “discounted”* karrimor shoes every year or so. Am just buying some now as it happens. Good socks are more important IMO 🙂

* yes we all know it’s half price pots, but at £30 for a pair of these in my size (13) http://www.fieldandtrek.com/karrimor-hot-rock-low-mens-walking-shoes-183714?colcode=18371403 it’s still a bargin

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Another vote for 5/10 Guide Tennies, but be prepared to get them resoled once a year or so if you really use them.

jam-bo

I only paid £50 for mine, how much is resoling?

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

saving this thread for future reference 🙂

nedrapier

5:10 Dirtbag for me. not great in slippy mud, great everywhere else.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I use some North Face approach shoes for all round hiking use and occasional bike ride. They are definitely more interesting on a bike vs the excellent grip of 5:10s but more than adequate for a typical xc type ride.

LoCo
    Free Member

Cheers for the link Stoner, have ordered a set of those, cheap and don’t look too tragic either 😉

kcal

And not the same at all, but regret the passing (might still have them for emergencies) of my original green KSBs, I know they were more boot than approach shoe, but they were a superbly rugged light boot, dead comfy and lasted for about 15 years..

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I wasn’t overly impressed with my 5:10 camp four, the upper split long before the sole wore out and they lost some metal eyelets quite early on. They also became a bit misshapen at the heel
    Currently got Haglofs Crags which I’m very impressed with and I think they do a GTX gortex version. Very solid build and very comfortable

Riofer
    Free Member

I deliberately avoided this thread all day at work so as not to go down the worm hole of internet shopping.

Thanks for all the suggestions. An evening of browsing awaits 🙂

grum
    Free Member

Bookmarking the thread here too. 🙂

timidwheeler

Fit is the most important thing. I find Salomon trainers/boots fit me perfectly so I will go for Vegas (Or whatever is on offer at Go Outdoors/Sport Pursuit). Karrimore fit me really badly and rub so I won’t touch them even if they have 99% off. Which brands have you bought before which have fitted well?

hilldodger
    Free Member

…It’s a shame all the five ten bike specific shoes look so utterly utterly shite.

The 5:10 spitfires are just like normal looking skate shoes, fine for everyday use but don’t have the ‘backwoodsman appeal’ of the premium outdoor brands I guess…

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Tempted by those Karrimor shoes, my last Merrells have disintegrated inside the heel and the two Karrimor jackets I own have been really good.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I use some cheap Deacathlon trail running shoes

lion
    Free Member

Boreal flyer’s, can’t fault them

nickc

merrels are lethal in the wet.

Aye, I had a pair of Chameleons that were dry weather only really as they were not in any way waterproof (although to be fair to them they didn’t claim to be) and the sole was like having your very own skating rink

BadlyWiredDog

Ideally what you’re talking about is an approach shoe with a semi-sticky sole and more lugs for grip on softer terrain than most of the climbing-orientated shoes which tend to have quite lightly-treaded soles for better grip on rock – unless your main priority is scrambling…

There’s not that much around that does that: Adidas has a shoe/mid which fits the bill if it fits your foot, Arc’teryx has just started making very expensive approach shoes which work pretty well, but cost lots, Mammut has some options, Hanwag isn’t well known in the UK, but does a really decent, slightly heavy scrambling approach shoe.

But as someone says above, you really need to try before buying for fit. Something that’s ideal on paper is useless to you if it doesn’t suit your foot and lasting can vary even within a range from the same brand.

johnhighfield
    Free Member

Wow! What a demographic we must be – and I thought I was pretty unique……..

I’ve just worn out my Merrel Chameleon gortex shoes – and yes I was also surprised on how slippery the Vibram sole was in the wet when new – but I think I must have got used to them.

I’ve just ebayed myself 2 ‘new’ (ebayed) pairs – one Chameleon waterproof & one Moab at 1/2 the price of new. I reckon I should be ok now for the next few years…..

thenorthwind

Got a pair of Hi-Tec “multi-sport” shoes in the sale last year. Really well made, leather uppers, Vibram soles. I was taught at primary school (15-20 years ago) that Hi-Tec gear is for geeks. It’s probably still true, but they make some great stuff.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I bought some of those Karrimor approach shoes and found the tread wore down really quickly. I hardly wore them (cos I decided they were a bit shit) yet the sole looked like it had had years of wear. They’ve now been demoted to muddy MTB use for when I’m using flats.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Footwear – best all rounder for walking, scrambling, occasional cycling, etc’ is closed to new replies.