Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • footpaths – a day of protest
  • ahwiles
    Free Member

it’s the 80th anniversary of the kinder trespass … er … tomorrow…

(24th April)

and i’ve been thinking.

maybe we could organise something similar for bikers, but i don’t think this is a good idea.

if it went well, we’d get 200 (more?) bikers to the top of a big hill, we’d hang around for a few minutes, and go home.

afterwards, anti-bike groups would be able to highlight the disruption we caused (parking, traffic, erosion*, damaged stiles, shouting, etc.) as good reasons to continue limiting access for bikes.

so instead, how about a nation-wide day of protest. we go and ride a peachy bit of singletrack near where we live. the quieter the better.

so, tomorrow. i’ll be riding on a footpath, who’s with me?

be nice about it, and give walkers room.

but, if you’ve picked the right trail, you won’t see (m)any walkers – that’s almost the point.

(*yes, erosion, 200 bikes will do that)

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Like it. The only problem i can see is that unless it was widely publicised I doubt many people would notice any difference. Ironically this is kind of the point of wider access but as a form of protest it’s not so good.

ahwiles
    Free Member

unless it was widely publicised I doubt many people would notice any difference

exactly.

jam-bo

how would this be different to any other day?

ahwiles
    Free Member

how would this be different to any other day?

exactly.

which is why it might even work…

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Is it a protest if nobody notices?

D0NK

Is it a protest if nobody notices?

no making this thread a huge* none event.

*not really

I_did_dab
    Free Member

article here
    History has it that many of the original trespassers cycled to Kinder to protest. Why not do the same, but take your bikes on the protest? It would highlight that those who originally set out to open up the countryside to everyone (especially the proletariat) have been subverted by others trying to reserve the land for their idea of recreation i.e. walking. You could get a few column inches that way.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

We are riding tomorrow on footpaths, not because its “kinder day” but because its normal

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Can we do this at the weekend?

Simon

Been out and done my bit tonight. 8)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘footpaths – a day of protest’ is closed to new replies.