• This topic has 168 replies, 57 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 169 total)
  • Football- WHO CARES?
  • john_drummer
    Free Member

I am a football fan, but I don't give a hoot about the national team.

Club vs Country? Club every time for me
    MOT

bassspine
    Free Member

markfu – Member

Football is Englands national sport, if you don't like it get over it

cricket

iDave
    Free Member

hora, as you're probably aware, you have no **** idea what you're talking about.

pro footballers often made huge sacrifices as kids, and very few actually make it to the top.

it takes a lot of skill, determination, and unlike F1, to make it you don't need to have wealthy parents or be able to bring money in through sponsors. compare and contrast the price of a cart to the price of footy boots? by its very nature motor racing is exclusive

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bassspine
    Free Member

my neighbours lad has potential as a professional footballer. To say you don't need to be wealthy is not quite right, they are doing a lot of miles to get him trials all over the country, their fuel expenditure alone is incredible. Second mortgage, anyone?

hora
    Free Member

my neighbours lad has potential as a professional footballer. To say you don't need to be wealthy is not quite right, they are doing a lot of miles to get him trials all over the country, their fuel expenditure alone is incredible. Second mortgage, anyone?

Kart races aren't held in your own town but national. As well buying a kart you need to transport it, service and fuel it.
    Then there are the football boots. Karting you need the footwear, regulation helmet and overalls… plus the kids are growing all the time…

Plus, if hes that talented why does he have to travel the country going to various trials? If hes that good why has no one taken him on an apprenticeship yet ?!!!

hora, as you're probably aware, you have no **** idea what you're talking about.

So iDave, its an exclusive and wealthy club? Would you like to agree you have no **** idea as usual?

Kimi Räikkönen:-
    "His father, Matti, drove heavy road machinery in Espoo, near Helsinki, while his mother, Paula, worked as a clerk."

Hamiltons dad was loaded? He had to work two jobs and sleep in his car during the karting season.

Mika Häkkinen:-
    Mika Häkkinen was born to Harri, a shortwave radio operator and part-time taxi driver, and Aila Häkkinen, who worked as a secretary.

Oh iDave you are a wally 🙄 😆

bassspine
    Free Member

hora, currently he's 17, and training/playingwith Plymouth and Yeovil. We're near Exeter. I'm not involved enough (or interested in football enough) to know where he is with apprenticeships etc.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I love the world cup. It's a bloody good excuse to meet up with the old man and get pissed up. 😀

bassspine
    Free Member

hora, currently he's 17, and training/playingwith Plymouth and Yeovil. We're near Exeter. I'm not involved enough (or interested in football enough) to know where he is with apprenticeships etc.

All I know is his parents are prepared to get very skint from supporting him

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Each to their own in my opinion.

Barking on about it being over exposed etc is pointless, as the majority of the country do give a shit and want to hear whats going on. If we where to only watch the sport that England does best at Darts would be on 24/7.

To the OP do you know the meaning of "unpatriotic" ???

Also regardless of sport Raw talent will get you to the top, Money makes it a damn sight easier.

Also I can't stand a few sports but i'd always rather see a Brit at the top.

bassspine
    Free Member

The only football match I've ever watched all the way through was when Engerland was almost doing quite well last world cup. It has to be said it was an amazing atmosphere in the pub that day. Until they did the usual English losing thing.

iDave
    Free Member

One requires talent, the other requires many more things along with enormous talent.

hora, like i said you have no idea

a competitive kart is about £2.5k

if Hamilton had been a footballer would his have have had to take two jobs, or am i right that football is a less exclusive club?

how much sponsorship did Rooney have to bring to Everton to get a place in the youth academy?

I've worked with young guys at the highest level in many sports, including 6 signed to an F1 team, i know what sacrifices are necessary, what funds are necessary and i also know that you don't know.

although points for using the term 'wally'

hora
    Free Member

I've worked with young guys in many sports, including 6 signed to an F1 team

Were you a contract cleaner working in their facility because you missed 3 world champions who came from poorer backgrounds.

pro footballers often made huge sacrifices as kids, and very few actually make it to the top.
    it takes a lot of skill, determination, and unlike F1, to make it you don't need to have wealthy parents or be able to bring money in through sponsors

Abit of contradiction going on in that last statement considering 'your in the know'.

although points for using the term 'wally'

Quite.

hora
    Free Member

Must go now, time for my early evening ride 8)

iDave
    Free Member

keep up hora

wealthy parents or be able to bring money in through sponsors

that was an or not an and

work that i did was used by Truli, Alonso and Kovalainen and it wasn't washing their undies

racing_ralph
    Free Member

What does my head in is people who are obviously sportingly untalented (HORA) who try to bring sports down to the lowest level i.e. kicking a bag of wind round a field! Hora you can do that with any sport e.g. F1 Loads of men driving souped up go carts around a big car park dead fats for hours on end! Sound appealing now eh?
    If you don't like something why start a discussion on the topic? It does not mean that by doing this you have a personality and friends, it means you are a dullard without friends.
    Its a forum about bikes, we all like riding bicycles round woods or fields/moors/bridleways (some worse than others) and i am SURE that people on "wendyball" (what a spazzy nick name for a sport followed by millions across the world) forums think of us as weirdos.
    As for it being rammed down your throat (never complained before about that i bet 😉 ) its not – its the national sport, followed by the majority of the country (%) so therefore gets a fair representation on mainstream tv. Get over it AND yourself and either play with your kid, speak to your missues, or ride your bike (badly)

Starrman28
    Free Member

Football is the sport of the people,It's great and the viewing figures alone for the W C F show just how popular its is. 🙂

F1…………Bridgwater carnval without the entertainment… 🙁

hora
    Free Member

racing_ralph you are right, I do need to improve my climbing ability. I'll do that and then teach you how to ride quicker on technical trails?

:mrgreen:

FeeFoo
    Free Member

F1 is great but World Cup football is gooderer.
    I likes both.
    Come on Engerland!

Edric64
    Free Member

..Bridgwater carnval without the entertainment

That is not entertainment, watching a load of biffers on a hay cart and the support crew shuffling behind with their overalls and past years badges on?

jackthedog
    Free Member

As for it being rammed down your throat (never complained before about that i bet ) its not – its the national sport, followed by the majority of the country (%) so therefore gets a fair representation on mainstream tv. Get over it AND yourself and either play with your kid, speak to your missues, or ride your bike (badly)

Although I think this was generally aimed in Hora's direction, I think it was me who brought up the 'rammed down the throat' subject. I didn't know it would open the way for me to (I assume derogatorily) be called homosexual;

(never complained before about that i bet)

to be told that I need to get over myself;

Get over it AND yourself

and that my bike skills are poor:

or ride your bike (badly)

That's some pretty aggressive and presumptuous insult throwing towards a person you've never met, who did nothing more than dare to offer, in an adult and considered fashion, an alternative viewpoint to the general consensus.

Reading that, it's no wonder the local football clubs have to spend a fortune paying for mounted police to prevent their fans brawling in the street.

Hora earlier, amusingly
    I'll stick to sports where I don't have to fear violence from fans or the homophobia.

sc-xc

Some people like stuff that other people don't. That's what we all need to get over. Not really worth getting upset about it either way.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Jackthedog – aimed at hora but if you feel that its aimed at you hey ho!

#
    hora – Member

racing_ralph you are right, I do need to improve my climbing ability. I'll do that and then teach you how to ride quicker on technical trails?

Posted 2 hours ago # Report-Post

would involve you being on a bike and not pushing tho! You know the offer of a peak ride is always there fellow baby buddy, early doors on saturday – 6 hours or so from hope

racing_ralph
    Free Member

And jtd – i put HORA in capitals in the first line so its blatantly aimed at him!
    You may be none of the things in my post fair play, but you are obviously worried what people think about you and a touch insecure dude!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Hora earlier, amusingly
    I'll stick to sports where I don't have to fear violence from fans or the homophobia.

Watch, what in my opinion is among the most skilled game in the world & you won't have any violence from fans!

It's the players youv'e gotta watch!

andytherocketeer

The difference is I don't feel the ashes/six nations/even wimbledon or any other sport is rammed down the nation's collective throat in quite the same unstoppable, aggressive way. The world cup is truly inescapable

Exactly why I despise the sport.

I know the footy wc is on. I don't need all the fans driving round and round in their cars hooting horns to remind me that there's a match on. Nor do I need/want them driving round and round hooting horns after the match to remind me that a team won (most likely after penalties – may as well just skip the game imho and kick 5 balls at the goalie).

If I drove round and round hooting my horn for the rugby wc final, I'd probably be arrested for breach of the peace.

Gonna be 'mare this summer… Big Brother on one channel, footy on another few channels.

edit: and yes I will do my best to totally ignore every match and score, and will go for a ride on the bike.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Can I come with you then Andy, I'm brassed of the with the whole lot already.
    Although I will watch football if I can't get to sleep. Never fails.

jackthedog
    Free Member

And jtd – i put HORA in capitals in the first line so its blatantly aimed at him!

The first paragraph was of course clearly aimed at Hora. The second paragraph focussed on the point raised by me, as far as the post read. Hence I brought it up. No insecurity, just a lack of clarity, s'all.

hora
    Free Member

racing_ralph, reading your posts really does feel like chewing gum for my eyes.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

hora – Member

racing_ralph, reading your posts really does feel like chewing gum for my eyes.

quality comeback! Saturday ride? yay or nay?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I know the footy wc is on. I don't need all the fans driving round and round in their cars hooting horns to remind me that there's a match on. Nor do I need/want them driving round and round hooting horns after the match to remind me that a team won (most likely after penalties – may as well just skip the game imho and kick 5 balls at the goalie).

they aren't reminding you, in fact they will not care one bit about you at all. They are enjoying the build up and excitement of the sport THEY enjoy. I know, it's a difficult concept to grasp isn't it?

Hairychested
    Free Member

Re: esselgruntfuttock's piccy – is it boxing on ice?

BigDummy
    Free Member

I'm not interested particularly (I may see a few games if friends are watching) and none of it bothers me at all. Then I had the tellybox on for an evening. Almost all the advertising was world cup themed, and all of it suggests that the entire nation is united together, striving in a heroic multicultural way towards a treasured and self-evidently worthy goal which is almost within reach.

That doesn't actually make me want to buy lager/sofas/new tellyboxes/anything else, but it does give me the strong sense that I am some sort of peculiar alien in my country. Then I go back outside, and there is strong evidence that while a lot of people do get very excited about the football the country has not in fact fallen into a collective hysteria, it's just that there's an important sporting event going on. Which is fine. 🙂

higgo
    Free Member

Almost all the advertising was world cup themed, and all of it suggests that the entire nation is united together, striving in a heroic multicultural way towards a treasured and self-evidently worthy goal which is almost within reach.

That doesn't actually make me want to buy lager/sofas/new tellyboxes/anything else, but it does give me the strong sense that I am some sort of peculiar alien in my country.

Very little TV advertising reflects the reality of my daily life, world cup or not.
    I try no to let it upset me.

MSP

esselgruntfuttock – Member

Watch, what in my opinion is among the most skilled game in the world & you won't have any violence from fans!

Try a google search for hockey riot, and you will see there have been plenty.

Kunstler

Methinks the lady doth protest too much. 😉 Sometimes iconoclasts invest as much as disciples (I'm sure there was another thread yesterday where the protagonist seemed to have expansive knowledge of the beautiful game).

or…

Who cares about 'Who cares about football threads'? Football is the safety net of conversation for blokes.

Actually, the bit where they move a ball about through the other team is brilliant. Almost everything else is rubbish.

I am amused at 'wendyball'.

konabunny
    Free Member

That's some pretty aggressive and presumptuous insult throwing towards a person you've never met

To be fair, that's normal for the internet.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

We are going on for 50yrs since we last won a World cup at footy.

But if success was the only criteria for caring about a sport how many of us would still give a shit about our bikes?

Football's fine. It's like a soap opera for men with some random plot elements thrown in because *some* of it is actually real.

toppers3933
    Free Member

i hope we stay in it for ages because it means i can go out without being surrounded by football loving morons. all my clothes have to last 4 years as its the only time i will venture into clothes shops.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Do you do your shopping on Friday and Saturday nights? 😉

toppers3933
    Free Member

i didnt think it through to be honest. 😕 ive just read back through some of the other posts and to be honest i wish id not gotten involved. 🙄 i just wanted to make a point that im really not interested. 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 169 total)

The topic ‘Football- WHO CARES?’ is closed to new replies.