Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Football Socks – Trusoxs
  • oikeith

I have just got back into playing 5 and 6 a side football on some local astro turfs, one is the old school 3g with sand, the other the newer 4g with rubber crumbs. I have alwyas worn two pairs of socks (one pair normal, one pair football socks) in my astros or boots, but with this hot weather I am finding my feet are sweating a lot and the balls of my feet the skin is going hard but during the games it gets tender and then tears open.

This morning I have heard about Trusox that have little pads in them to stop the slipping of your foot in the boots, which I think would cure my issue, they are £30 though, has anyone else tried these socks or another sock to overcome these issues? A quick google also mentions the Nike grip socks but these are a similiar price.

I have tried wearing football socks only, but find my foot still slips around but I also get a blister/rip in the skin on the back of my ankle from the boot cuff, however i know i can overcome this if i use if I persist as the skin will toughen up.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Why not just buy boots that fit you properly in the first place?

oikeith

Why not just buy boots that fit you properly in the first place?

I wear a UK10 or EUR44/45, any smaller and they are too tight on the sides of my foot and in the toebox. I think even if the boot fit my perfectly my foot would still move in the sock, which would move in the boot when turning and pivoting.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member
    oikeith

Thanks for the link, it appears that wide boots dont exist, its more difference by brand. I remembered Nike used to be wider in the toe box then other brands, but that seems to have ceased, when I picked up my boots and mouldies I did try a few diff brands and ended on the pairs which felt like they fitted the best.

I think even if the boot fitted to the millimeter, my foot could still move in the sock and the sock could move slightly in the boot.The Trusox caught my eye as I saw an article today saying the England team were wearing them as opposed to their sponsors socks and paying fines to continue doing so as they rate them.

DezB
    Free Member

Are you just wearing those cheapo poly footy socks from Sports Direct or something?

You don’t need to pay £30 for socks, just find some with cotton footbeds. I bought some for when I played 5-a-side a few years back  ( 🙁 miss it!) and still use them for rugby reffing. Take me a few mins to find a link cos have to switch to my phone. I’ll be back…

gastromonkey
    Free Member

I had the same problem and got something like these pads.

https://www.superdrug.com/Superdrug/Superdrug-Toe-Loop-Ball-Of-Foot-Cushion-X2/p/536303

It took a couple of games to get used to them and I had to replace them every few weeks but they did make the difference. I used micropore tape to keep them in place.

DezB
    Free Member

Damn link didn’t come through – Macron football socks on ebay. Socks were supplied to my son’s football team and were so well made I bought some.

Also on the good ship Ebay you can find Trusocks copies for less than a 5er. I’d try those before properly splashing out!

oikeith

DezB – I did see the knock of Trusox on eBay but assumed they would be just a really cheap knock off similiar in look only. I will look up the Macron socks, the socks I am currently using arent the cheapo ones, one of the pairs are some nice Nike dri fit socks. Ill look up the Macron socks and give em a go.

Gastromonkey – thanks for the link, ill consider these if i get no joy with the socks.

lunge

£30 for football socks is a tad excessive. My instinct is that you’re using cheap football socks, any that are not cheap will have padded and will be much better. These from decathlon are good but I’m sure you can pick up similar from most sports shops.

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, I’ve tried Nike and Adidas – the footbeds are not as good as Macron.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I used to play indoors on a solid concrete floor, used to rip **** out of your feet. Eventually started playing with 2 pairs of footy socks on, and vaseline inbetween inner sock and outer, worked a treat.

tomhoward

Seems the FA were fined £50,000 for some England players wearing them over the top of the officially sanctioned Nike ones, so could be costly…

nickjb
    Free Member

I wear two pairs of socks for footy. Works well but I find the inner socks need to be quite good or you get the issue you describe. I like these ones https://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-compression-running-socks-mens-415509

They are well fitted so don’t move, a little extra padding under foot and they are a decent technical fabric so not too hot. I think the compression element helps keep my legs going a tiny bit longer too.

lunge

I love, love, love how this forum can over complicate things. Seriously, wear some thin socks underneath (running socks if you want to really think about it, but just thin cotton socks) and pair with a good (note, not expensive) football sock. Cheap, basic football socks are horrible, but good ones are not very expensive at all, The Decathlon socks I linked to are good, Macron are fine too as are an ancient pair of Uhlsport I have in my kitbag.

the-muffin-man

£30 for football socks is a tad excessive.

It’s cost the England squad £53,000 in fines for players wearing them at the World Cup!

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered a pair for a fiver off ebay (imitation not Trusox) so will report back. I play football on an old school astro pitch (really for hockey) once a week and I’m doing a 12 hour football marathon event later this month, so they’ll get a good test.

oikeith

Do update me once you’ve tried them slowpuncheur

DezB
    Free Member

Noticed in the Nike shop that they do socks with a “grip” soul too now. Wonder why it has taken so many decades of football for people to realise that they need grippy socks?! Never felt the need myself! 😀

baboonz
    Free Member

Really thin sock and football sock always did it for me.

Are your boots new? Do they fit properly?

It could just be your feet getting used to it….

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

Update. Tried the Trusox copies from Ebay. The rubber pads won’t last very long and had worn a bit after an hour of use (including getting my foot into my mouldies). However, they did feel really good. Thinner than a football sock but better padding and my foot certainly moved less in my trainers. A decent buy I think but I reckon the copies won’t have anything like the longevity of a proper pair.

I’ve got a 12 hour Football Marathon on Saturday but will be taking a spare pair of normal socks with me. If you fancy sponsoring me a few quid, please do. It’ll be brutal in this weather…

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paul-tunstall2

SP

oikeith

SP thanks for the update, did you wear just the replica Trusox? or did you still double up?

timc
    Free Member

In the long run the best bet is to get a top end pair of Astro boots, leather, not plastic, Adidas Mundial or similar that also come in half sizes.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

SP thanks for the update, did you wear just the replica Trusox? or did you still double up?

Just the fakey Trusox. I wouldn’t recommend wearing normal socks on top unless you are used to wearing 2 pairs. It dulls the feel of the ball and it’s bloody hot. This is an issue if you wear shinpads. I’ve bought a £3 pair of socks I intend to butcher so that I can wear them kind of like leg warmers i.e. from the ankle up so that they can hold the shinpads in place.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

I also wear Adidas leather astro boots.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Football Socks – Trusoxs’ is closed to new replies.