Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Football club closing
  • miketually
    Free Member

(Not a football fan.)

In a town of 100,000 people, only 5000 or so turned up to watch the football team play in the Conference.

For all kinds of complicated reasons, it looks like it’s going to fold. (Background on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darlington_F.C.)

Now, it’s sad that a long-established business is closing and I feel for the staff. I can also see why the fans would be bothered. But…

What are the wider effects, and should I be bothered and more than when any other business folds? (Asking after being told everyone loses if it isn’t saved, including “business community and town”.)

Enlighten me….

Klunk
    Free Member

5000 is a bit optimistic

the break even point at our local conference club is around 3000-3500 needless to say they won’t be around long either.

miketually
    Free Member

Yeah, 2700 is current average, I think.

falkirk-mark

I suppose on the home games they bring the opponents supporters to the town and the spend money in pubs and hotels etc.

Klunk
    Free Member

Yeah, 2700 is current average, I think.

that’s the highest gate this season, the average is 1886, must be like a morgue with 25,000 capacity 😯

Edric64
    Free Member

I am a Bristol Rovers fan and we rarely get 6000 in div 2 Bristols population is 1/2 a million ish +the surrounding area.Footie isnt a cheap hobby our 3rd round FA cup tie cost me £32 for me and the boy +programme and fuel so thats 40 quid at our level more if I buy food.God knows how some people follow big teams and take the whole family on a regular basis

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

George Reynolds will be thinking, ‘why did I bother’

the-muffin-man

Isn’t it really a matter of how well the clubs are run – two clubs near me – Burton Albion and Chesterfield have both grown steadily over the last few years with new stadiums and progress up the leagues.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Thing is, it’s so much more than a local business to many people.

It’s a reason for people to visit the town,
    It’s a source of revenue,
    It’s the first chance for many kids to see a real sportsman/athlete
    It provides a local kid with an ambition in life
    It’s a place where friendships are made and maintained

Where else in Darlo will you get that?

miketually
    Free Member

I believe a lot of people are wishing he hadn’t.

warton
    Free Member

George Reynolds wants stringing up for what he’s done to that club. built a massive stadium with virtually no on field investment and took them into administration. they’ve never recovered.

project
    Free Member

Get your local council to waste 126,000 quid each year.

The total cost of the sponsorship deal with the First Division Club is likely to be between £123,000 and £126,000 a year. In return, the club will work closely with the Council on a range of community initiatives, particularly involving young people and ‘hard to reach’ groups.

Ours does, and nobody asked us rate payers

tails
    Free Member

I guess part of the problem is everyone supports teams in the Prem and out of those teams around 5 will have the majority of the fans. I can see why not only do they play good football it’s also on tv, so people can watch it.

Perhaps they could show Div 2 and Conference games on bbc 3 it might get some fans thinking, I’ll watch any football team but I’ll rarely leave my armchair to do so.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Thing is, it’s so much more than a local business to many people.

It’s a reason for people to visit the town,
    It’s a source of revenue,
    It’s the first chance for many kids to see a real sportsman/athlete
    It provides a local kid with an ambition in life
    It’s a place where friendships are made and maintained

This, plus the fact that footy teams do lots of youth and community stuffs in their local area, organise social functions and can serve as a social hub. As well as loads of stuffs for charidee, usually. Then you’ve got kids/womens’ teams and that, not just the first team, who’ll use the venue. Loads of things.

warton
    Free Member

good point Tails, and Darlington is close enough to Middlesborough, leeds, sheffield, sunderland and newcastle to ensure that historically there are bigger clubs close by that would get the support. Reynolds thought by building a premier league stadium all this would change, it didn’t.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

George Reynolds wants stringing up for what he’s done to that club. built a massive stadium with virtually no on field investment and took them into administration. they’ve never recovered

To be fair though, George was never a proper businessman was he? Simply an ex safe breaker with piles of dosh!

warton
    Free Member

yep, hes bankrupt now, spent a couple of years in prison for tax evasion after the darlo ‘adventure’

oldnpastit

I expect their football ground will be ideal for some nice bright new houses and a smart new Tesco’s Express 🙁

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Football club closing’ is closed to new replies.