Viewing 40 posts - 2,201 through 2,240 (of 2,588 total)
  • Football – 2023/24 Season
  • martinhutch

Can’t help thinking double bubble for the toffees is unfair.  And ridiculous that the appeal will be held after the season ends.

Agreed, it’s crazy that if relegation is decided by a point or two, two clubs and their squads could effectively be in limbo for weeks after the end of the season. Are you down, having to sell players, or still up, with the financial boost that brings? A system that is supposed to prevent rash spending decisions effectively paralysing prudent financial planning for both.

If you’re Jordan Pickford, and an offer comes in from a PL club while you’re in this limbo, do you wait for the outcome or just play it safe?

It’s also deeply unsatisfying for the audience not to have everything decided on the final afternoon of the season. And I agree that applying sanctions for two separate seasons in a single season is ridiculous.

neilnevill
    Free Member

It is deeply unsatisfactory.   I am behind the intent of ffp, but not the way its brought into reality.

ElShalimo

Anything that upsets Ashley must be good

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-68769820

ElShalimo

Citeh 1-0 already

Wowsers

Caher

This City game is worth watching. Not a fan of Franco’s Madrid. Not the same level of dislike as Rangers or Oxford United ovs.

argee

City and Arsenal off to great starts, now both 2-1 behind, lucky the away goals don’t matter now for Arsenal, need to actually show in the CL, especially with the team they have just now.

ElShalimo

Very large element of luck on the Madrid goals

martinhutch

Had to be him, didn’t it? Bet he loved that.

dc1988

I think Arsenal were a bit naive and lucky to come away with a draw, I think Bayern will probably beat them in Germany.

dander

It was never a penalty either, the one on Saka. He dangled his leg out hoping for contact – good job the brave English lads never dive eh.

dc1988

Agreed, it was a very good decision by the ref in real time to spot it. Arguably could have been a foul in the other direction for kicking Neuer.

Caher

Not sure why Saka wasn’t booked. Simulation is a blight on the game.

dander

I was surprised Rio and Keown felt it was a pen, the 5 live pundits didn’t.

swdan
    Free Member

Was hoping Ipswich could take advantage of last nights result for Leicester and Leeds but had to settle for a draw ourselves. It’s still tighter than a tight thing at the top of the championship

pondo

Squeaky bum time at the Birmingham City end of the Championship… 🙁

johndoh
    Free Member

**Was hoping Ipswich could take advantage of last nights result for Leicester and Leeds but had to settle for a draw ourselves. It’s still tighter than a tight thing at the top of the championship**

Opposite for me (as a Leeds fan) – I still can’t believe how tight it all is – there are three very nervous teams out there. Despite the gap to fourth, Southampton could still pip one of them to an automatic promotion spot.

MoreCashThanDash

Pretty sure Norwich will beat Ipswich in the play off finals at Wembley….

Surprised a Wolves season ticket holder at work when she asked me if I’d be disappointed if Ipswich didn’t go up – I told her I’d have been happy with fourth from bottom back in September, all this is just a bonus

Caher

Timo Werner has just missed a sitter that a traffic cone would have put away.

dander

Big case of squeaky bum time at the top of the championship! Southampton right back in it with their games in hand.

argee

Wow, that’s one of the worst penalties i’ve seen given under the new ‘handball’ rules!

dander

Yep, shocker. If you give that why not the one on Maguire 10 minutes earlier? He arguably had more time to react.

Every cloud though – if United salvage a draw or scrape a win there’s more chance of ETH staying.

MoreCashThanDash

Big case of squeaky bum time at the top of the championship! Southampton right back in it with their games in hand.

It’s as if no one actually wants to get automatic promotion – somehow Ipswich are top again

dander

That’s a good point for United – another disjointed performance, I’ve rarely seen a team pick up as many points playing poorly week in week out. Trust the process though, Eric will say.

sandboy

United need a new keeper, Ohnono getting beaten at his near post was poor.
    Newcastle beating Spurs has made it interesting with United goal difference being what it is.
    I have a feeling Villa might do something tomorrow and add an other twist at the top.
    I’m just relieved that we’re safe and it was great to see Chunha and Hwang back today, happy to share a point with Nuno. I really hope Forest make it.

gobuchul
    Free Member

That penalty was an absolute joke.

ElShalimo

Sadly the Bournemouth guy moved his arm as the ball hit him. It was completely unintentional but he moved his arm. I understand why they got the pen.

For clarity, I hate ManYoo with a passion and I’m enjoying every single moment of their troubles. It was a pen.

binners

Once again, how we came away with a point from that I have no idea. Another shambolic performance that somehow wasn’t punished as it should have been.

Its just bizarre watching them give players like Solanke acres of room without any attempt to close them down, never mind put a challenge in.

An interesting article in last weeks Guardian on the Ten Hag philosophy

Caher

I don’t think the Hags to blame. This United side reminds me of the teams pre Ferguson which were filled with ‘stars’ but were inconsistent and not a team. Just a bunch of individuals that have met up for a kick around.

ElShalimo

Wot like Mike Duxbury?

😆

Caher

…Or Jordi Cruyff. Got a feeling the buying department must have thought the acorn had fallen closer to the tree.

shinton
    Free Member

Congrats to Stockport and my own team Wrexham for clinching promotion yesterday. We play each other at Wrexham on the last day of the season but Stockport are in poll position to wrap up the title by then. It also looks likely that Mansfield will be the third team promoted automatically but the playoff positions are hard to guess. Donny were 15 points off the last playoff place on March 3rd but now only 1 point.

binners

The Stockport and Wrexham celebrations looked absolutely bonkers. You can’t beat a good, old-fashioned, 70’s style pitch invasion when its all obviously all good natured and celebratory

dazh

It’s suddenly looking very good for the toon. They have arguably the three most in-form players in the league with Guimaraes, Gordon and Isak, a friendly run-in and a penultimate game ‘decider’ against Man Utd. Also with Spurs looking shit and needing to play Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Man City their 10 point cushion is looking a little fragile. Of course we’ll probably lose to Burnley and Sheffield Utd after saying that, but you never know. Hopefully the Howe-out idiots will shut up now.

argee

I don’t think the Hags to blame. This United side reminds me of the teams pre Ferguson which were filled with ‘stars’ but were inconsistent and not a team. Just a bunch of individuals that have met up for a kick around.

Usually i’d agree with managers always getting the harsh end of it, but Ten Hag is a real head scratcher, they have a squad as good as any other, but can’t seem to build a team, his player management is suspect as well, a few fall outs, nobody playing better than before, there’s a real struggle with managers just now though, Ange looks like he’s struggling to get a game out his squad as well at Spurs, Newcastle and in and out, Chelsea can’t get it going either, Villa seem to be in and out as well, it’s gone weird!

dander

Ten Hag’s greatest achievement might just be starting the rot which has derailed Klopp’s farewell quadruple!

gobuchul
    Free Member

A good weekend for Newcastle.

Howe has again proved how good a coach he is. He’s got another group of players playing in a manner that suits them and is effective.

Hopefully, he can get a few back and he has 10 days before the next match.

theotherjonv

WTF. Is everyone trying to give it to City again.

Caher

What weird voodoo does Pep and Citeh use each year around this time?  10th league title coming up.

binners

It’s as good as Citeh’s now, surely?

Liverpool and Arsenal are good at creating loads of chances but don’t seem able to finish any of them

Fair play to Villa though. That was some second half performance after a dominant Arsenal first half. Two cracking finishes!

Cletus

Great weekend for City, Only the fact they have to play aware at Spurs – which is their kryptonite – makes me think they may not end up as winners.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,201 through 2,240 (of 2,588 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM