• This topic has 15 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by JCL.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Foot position on flats, mid foot VS ball of foot?
  • cruzcampo
    Free Member

Can’t seem to find a definitive answer to this online, many sites say just because SPDS use the ball of foot position, that’s not necessarily best for flats

“From a functional movement point of view, trying to place the ball of your foot directly on top of the pedal axle is not the best position for your foot to be whether you are on flats or clipless pedals. Driving through the ball of the foot is what you want to do when you are propelling your center of gravity forward – like when running or jumping – but this is not what is happening when we pedal out bikes. When pedaling you are driving the pedals away from you, much like when you squat or deadlift, and that type of leg drive is much better delivered from a more mid-foot position. This more mid-foot position also allows improved recruitment of the hips during the pedal stroke, especially when standing.”
    http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Shoe-Pedal … -2012.html

What do you ride normally? and how do you position your feet on flats?

andy7t2
    Free Member

as a general rule i use ball for up hill, mid foot for downhill. the great thing about flats is the ability for a number of different positions dependent on the terrain

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

The correct answer is it depends. The beauty of riding flats is the ability to shift your feet around and tailer their position to what you’re doing.

Northwind

Whichever you like tbh. There’s a fairly good article on Leelikesbikes about this- it’s pretty biased towards ball-of-foot but that works pretty well since most articles seem biased towards arch.

I reckon arch works better all round, with ball being better for pedally stuff, but I end up on the ball most of the time just because it feels more comfortable and natural to me- outweighs any performance difference I can detect

cruzcampo
    Free Member

I ask as i’ve just shifted to Shimano AM41’s, and unlike my old Nike running trainers i’ve used for years, (never paid attention to foot position they just landed and moved about a lot) the shimano’s stick like glue.

So much so once i’ve positioned my feet in a certain way they don’t move again, without making an effort to reposition and picking them off! I’ve been getting some mild knee pain over the last 5-6 rides. 🙁

chiefgrooveguru

I seem to have settled upon axle halfway between ball and mid-foot as my default position.

Markie
    Free Member

So much so once i’ve positioned my feet in a certain way they don’t move again, without making an effort to reposition and picking them off! I’ve been getting some mild knee pain over the last 5-6 rides.

Don’t know those pedals, but if they have removable pins try taking a couple out – have to run my Burgtec’s a few pins short to feel mobile to the degree I want…

JImmAwelon
    Free Member

RE: Removing pins
    If it works for you then fine but since pressure over area equals grip. I would expect that less pins equals more grip. I used to file every other tooth off caged pedals for exactly that reason.

andy7t2
    Free Member

I’ve been getting some mild knee pain over the last 5-6 rides

sound more like the angle of your foot on the pedal rather than the position. just put you foot on the pedal rather than thinking too much about it you’ll find your natural position rather than trying to force a position you think is more efficient

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I can’t say I even think about where my foot is. Does it matter? I think not.
    Do or do not. There is no try.
    Put your feet on the pedals and ride. Stop over thinking it. 🙂

kudos100
    Free Member

Axel behind the ball of the foot. More stability this way.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

What if you don’t need stability? How do you even KNOW????
    Foot on pedal
    Pedal
    It never crosses my mind?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Road spd, ball on the foot over the axle. Mtb spd, ball about 1cm in front of the axle. Flat, mid foot over the axle.

Is this right? For me, yes. Can’t say anymore than that other than I find mid foot works better for me in the air with flats.

Experiment and see what you like.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Ball of the foot for peddling, arc of the foot for downhill, with heels pointing down.

brant
    Free Member

RE: Removing pins
    If it works for you then fine but since pressure over area equals grip. I would expect that less pins equals more grip. I used to file every other tooth off caged pedals for exactly that reason.

Doesn’t apply with elastomeric materials where more contact makes more grip.

JCL
    Free Member

I usually always mount my SPD cleats as far back as possible.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Foot position on flats, mid foot VS ball of foot?’ is closed to new replies.