Viewing 34 posts - 81 through 114 (of 114 total)
  • Foolhardy romantic idea advice…..
  • lunge

Lets try and be a bit more positive here, the modern world enables such relationships and this may be one of them. I understand what the OP is saying about an arranged meet may have certain pressure with it too.

So how about you ignore the surprise, find a day when she’s off and agree to get a train to meet her half way, pick a nice city of town on the major rail network, go for a stroll, a bit of lunch, maybe a beer. If you hit it off then arrange a “proper” day out there and then, if she doesn’t turn up or you don’t get on then you’ve only lost half a day and the cost of the train ticket.

SaxonRider

This is rapidly becoming my favourite thread ever.

It’s hard to pin down the best post, but this one

I say do it.

There’s a small chance you’ll make a girl really happy, walk off into the sunset (after exiting through homewares).

The much more likely scenario is you’ll make a large number of middle-aged mountain biking engineers (mostly with doctorates) happy by relating the story on this here thread.

It’s win-win.

is pretty damn good. 😀

burchill
    Free Member

I thought this was a creepy idea even before reading it properly and realising you haven’t even met her..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    BigDummy
    Free Member

agree to get a train to meet her half way, pick a nice city of town on the major rail network

That’s inevitably going to mean they meet for the first time in Birmingham New Street station, outside WH Smiths.

🙂

SaxonRider

Hasn’t New Street been renovated? That could be quite lovely!

rOcKeTdOg

Meet in the prosecco bar in NewSt

ads678

I think the idea is nice and shows you like her and want to see if this has the potential to turn into something good. You just have to be careful you don’t put her off by shocking her to much.
    As you can see by the post here lots of people will just say it’s creepy and weird so it’s likely that her friends might jump to the same conclusions. Assuming you don’t get locked up that is!!

Ask her if she’d like to meet up and if she does and if it goes well then start the romantic wooing.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Sounds like the plot for a Hugh Grant film.

agent007
    Free Member

Oh and don’t get too hung up on the outcome. You’ll often find that people in real life are nothing like how they appear from online dating, texting etc. Either that or you just might not click when you meet in person. That’s why meeting up quickly and moving on are so important before you waste too much time and your emotional health chasing the perception of what she’s actually like that you’ve built up in your own mind.

Equally she could be ideal – but you’ll never know unless you meet her, and if the only way she’ll agree to meet you (well not actually agree as such) is for you to arrive unannounced then things are not looking good. If she agrees to a date then that’s way different.

MoreCashThanDash

I’m a little late to this party.

You are Tom Hanks, she is Meg Ryan – do I get to claim two fivers?

I’m so glad I’m married. If I end up single again, no way would I go through all this modern dating nonsense.

onandon
    Free Member

I’m so glad I’m married. If I end up single again, no way would I go through all this modern dating nonsense.

So romantic. Stick that in this years valentines card 🙂

Stevet1
    Free Member

I arrive unexpected, ask her shopping advise on something I know she wants and buy it for her then leave

Please be lingerie please be lingerie please be lingerie please be lingerie

agent007
    Free Member

Or you could cover both bases? Girls love handbags right?

chrissyboy
    Free Member

My 2ps worth – if you’re prepared to go 275 miles just on the offchance of bumping into her at work why not try this instead?

Ring her. Suggest that the next Saturday you’re free that you come and pick her up from work and take her to dinner. Much better than a ‘gift’ and also gives her a chance to prepare – or say no if she’s not that into you. Or just enjoying the attention / gifts /etc.

You can say that you have to be in the area anyway taking some of the pressure off. Get a hotel booked for the night to remove the ‘where are you staying’ pressure.

Get married.

Live happily ever after.

Or when she says no on the phone, get yourself registered on Tinder / POF etc and find someone local.

Can I have an invitation to the wedding though please?

🙂

agent007
    Free Member

Get a hotel booked for the night to remove the ‘where are you staying’ pressure.

Good idea but don’t tell her this of course as she might freak that that’s where you intend to take her later, which you can of course if things go well for you 🙂

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Frankly you’ve got nothing to lose it’ll either work out or not, sooner or later. But you could stack the cards in your favour, by not acting like a nutter and just “popping up” at her work place.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Wonder if her husband picks her up from work, or if she drives herself?

martinhutch

Probably better if you head down for a couple of days beforehand, and familiarise yourself with her routine by following her home and watching her through the lounge window for a bit.

ferrals
    Free Member

outofbreath – Member

Wonder if her husband dad picks her up from work, or if she drives herself has learnt to drive yet?

FIFY

I think arranging to meet is an infinitely better plan for you, and has has been said, and infinitely worse plan for spectators

hels
    Free Member

I miss the good old days, when being in a long distance relationship with somebody you haven’t met meant at least one of you was in prison.

ThePinkster

find a day when she’s off and agree to get a train to meet her half way, pick a nice city of town on the major rail network, go for a stroll, a bit of lunch, maybe a beer.

And don’t forget to post all the details here before hand so we can all turn up and offer moral support.

fasthaggis

Go for it OP

You will both laugh about it in years to come.

or

You will pick up a restraining order.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Watch a couple of episodes of Catfish

If you are still keen then turning up at work is no good, she will be stuck working. Far better you break into her house and wait naked on the bed with a rose between your teeth. He/she will be so surprised.

kimbers

thers a film out on feb14th theyve even made a poster just for you to share with your special lady…

johnx2
    Free Member

You may be lucky.

Someone I know* proposed on the ground floor of Peter Jones.

“Hey, why don’t we take this to the next level?”

aracer
    Free Member

Don’t forget to select some lingerie from her drawer (for her to put on, why what did you think I meant?), it’s the sort of gesture women appreciate.

myti
    Free Member

As a woman who has done internet dating I would say ‘no way!’ It’s weird. Never have drawn out pre meeting scenarios as you may immediately find out you’ve just wasted 3 months of your life on someone who you can have great text banter with but absolutely no chemistry. Also most women and probably men to be fair would like to be prepared for their first date by sprucing up/looking their best not just out of their lunch break having had last night’s garlicky curry for lunch and in an unflattering work uniform !

wwaswas

Sorry mate but I’m experienced at this stuff, just departing my wisdom.

Next week: the voice of experience explains the difference between imparting and departing.

OP: bad idea. The telling her you’re in town and want to meet = good idea.

I’ve been married for 21 years to a woman who lived 150 miles away from me for 6 months when we first went out. You can make it work but it’s not easy (although it’s a hell of lot easier now they’ve invented the internet and you don’t have to post a card or letter every day…)

jekkyl

my advice to you Op from when I as single and online dating, don’t date anyone more than an hours drive away. It just becomes annoying for everyone concerned.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Internet dating etc can work very well indeed. 🙂

But being in a “relationship” with someone who is 275 miles away and never free when you are, and – am I wrong about this? – you don’t talk to regularly on the phone or by facetime – seems crazy.

At worst you are being catfished, at best this ain’t going anywhere.

If you feel something – put your cards on the table – arrange to meet her, but consensually – not as a surprise. And if she delays or makes excuses, DTMFA…

drlex
    Free Member

Kimbers, is that a real poster? If so, I see the way in which MrsLex would agree to a romantic cinema date next month.

nicko74

Backing up a bit (sorry, been working).

CaptainFlashheart – Member

You may be lucky.

Someone I know* proposed on the ground floor of Peter Jones. Successfully.

*ahem.

You proposed on the ground floor of this?!

What did he say?

Cougar

Also most women and probably men to be fair would like to be prepared for their first date by sprucing up/looking their best not just out of their lunch break having had last night’s garlicky curry for lunch and in an unflattering work uniform !

If I was on the pull for a quick boink then absolutely, but looking for a relationship I’d rather portray an accurate representation of myself than kick off on a false premise.

bearnecessities

looking for a relationship I’d rather portray an accurate representation of myself than kick off on a false premise.

Oh give over! 😀

Viewing 34 posts - 81 through 114 (of 114 total)

The topic ‘Foolhardy romantic idea advice…..’ is closed to new replies.