• This topic has 132 replies, 80 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 133 total)
  • Food from your childhood.
  • anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

In sandwiches. Oh yes. *borks*

For some reason we were never allowed peanut butter as children. So I eat it all the time now.

Loved spam fritters. Bones and gravy was another.

martinhutch

Salad Cream is awesome. Much nicer than mayonnaise. I lived on salad cream and cheese sandwiches when I was about 18.

binners

Oh… just remembered…

They were definitely a lot bigger

Salad Cream is indeed awesome. And still the only way to consume salad. Absolutely drowned in the stuff

righog
    Free Member

When chips were just not posh enough

the debates we had about how old you had to be before getting a whole cod in butter sauce to yourself 😀

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Posh nosh?

/end thread

clubber
    Free Member

Yep, nice school milk at my primary too – I drank loads of the stuff – my 1/3 pint bottle but also those of two of my mates (who didn’t like milk) plus a further two or three at lunch time…

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

butterscotch angel delight

righog
    Free Member

butterscotch angel delight

……Tastes of Aluminium !

martinhutch

Aluminiummmmm…

If we’re going down the non-food route, other forgotten tastes of childhood probably include HB pencils, erasers and thumbs.

righog
    Free Member

Non food….A lolly stick chewed all day

freddyg
    Free Member

Speaking of sticks…. liquorice root

and more liquorcey stuff: aniseed balls and pontefract (or was it pomfret?) cakes

My fave 70’s snack was pork dripping (especially the jelly at the bottom) on white bread with salt.

Bread soaked in the fat from the grill pan after cooking bacon.

Bread soaked in the fat from the roasting tin after roasting beef.

hora
    Free Member

My Dad loved beef and pork dripping. I mean really loved it. He died at 78 from a heart attack.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

My Dad was something of a Gourmand so the bad has turned out good and the good has turned out bad e.g.

Haddock Mornay was bad, now good
    All sorts of french paysanne dishes involving confit of everything and anything – was bad now good

Turkey Burgers – was good, now bad!

Viennetta FTW!

donks
    Free Member

Chicken Hero’s from the local 24 hour garage….just when we started to get the 24 hour garage nearly 30 years ago.

we used to trek up there at god knows when as young teenagers and purchase these disgusting articles which were on some kind of rotating hot rack (been there for at least 2 weeks I should guess) but I used to love em. Not seen for at least 20 years…..though im sure some garages still have the original ones rotating somewhere.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

my dad used to eat pickled walnuts….the dirty bastard

BlindMelon
    Free Member

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Crumpets. Hot, buttered crumpets, slathered in Marmite, Bovril or honey

I bet you had one of those fancy clamps for toasting your bread for your Aga..didn’t you…

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Aluminium you say?

I’m sure these contained it…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😆 @ cbmotorsport!

Actually no, always used a toaster. 🙂

(As it happens though, I have an Aga again now and it makes the best cheese on toast ever. Fact!)

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Mutton stew with dumplings.

Rabbit stew with the shotgun pellets still in the meat…

sadexpunk

werent there some little chewing gum nuggets in like a little tobacco sack or something?

avdave2

Shippams Paste

Probably explains why I haven’t touched meat in 30 years. I am aware that it probably didn’t actually contain any meat.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

cynic-al
    Free Member

I blame my mum for my addiction to this:

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Very posh Al, we had:

alexpalacefan

“werent there some little chewing gum nuggets in like a little tobacco sack or something?”

yep, Golden Nuggets? I loved that you had a little bag to keep stuff in after. They were never the same when the bag started to be plastic 🙁

APF

back2basics
    Free Member

i’m sure that almost all breakfast cereal sizes have shrunk since i was a lad,
    shredded wheat, 3 , and i was stuffed. now i can easily pack in 6.
    same for weetabix.

hora
    Free Member

Love the recent government push for smaller choccie bars. They’ve (snickers/mars) shrunk- still a big wrapper and still the same price. Nice.

martinhutch

Ooooh. Shippams Paste.

Salmon and Shrimp
    Sardine and Tomato

What other foul flavours were there? Actually quite liked them at the time, God knows why.

Philby

Marrowfat peas – urgh!
    Tripe – lovely with vinegar, not so nice cooked in milk & onions
    Skin on custard and rice pudding
    Semolina – my Mum used to serve it very lumpy, made just about edible by adding loads of jam
    Suet puddings
    Liquorice roots – great to chew on
    Bacon with rind on, often with pig hair still attached
    Cheap cuts of grisly meat which needed cooking for ever – anyone remember skirt
    Salmon or ham out of a tin when you were trying to be posh for visitors

weare138
    Free Member

Bean Bake – mum used to from some bacon, throw in some beans, put it in a bowl, a packet of Smash on top, greater cheese, then grill it until the cheese melts. Damn it was good and rather 70s..

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Has anyone ever had Marsh’s Sassparella (god knows on the spelling)?

My granddad used to drive wagons and his depot was next to the spot where they made it in Barrow. He used to get crates of the stuff, it tasted fantastic. Unfrotunaltey they’re no longer in business.

TheWrongTrousers

Who remembers those chocolate bars called ‘Zing’ ?
    They were a bit like a KitKat and we used to get them out of the vending machines at the swimming baths. Loved them.
    And ‘Mint Cracnell’, remember them ?
    A kind of clear minty brittle covered in chocky and in a bright green wrapper, two square bars in one packet. Whatever happened to that ? They were great too.

hairybiker84
    Free Member

davidtaylforth 😀 “Sass”, my Nan used to live in Marsh Street Barrow and it was always a treat to go to the sweet shop nearby and get a bottle of “sass” or Dandelion & Burdock.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

davidtaylforth “Sass”, my Nan used to live in Marsh Street Barrow and it was always a treat to go to the sweet shop nearby and get a bottle of “sass” or Dandelion & Burdock.

🙂

If you returned the bottles you used get some pennies back aswell!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

DT – do you remember Underwoods pop van? Their cream soda was on a parr with marsh’s sass in our house

bob_summers

We had the Marsh’s lorry down the street every Sunday morning. The cherryade was good.

I used to steal the fat off the raw bacon in the fridge. Or suck frozen prawns and fish fingers. Not sure how I never got worms. Not surprisingly I went vegan at 18…

cheers_drive

95% of the time the 80s versions of these were eaten frozen as I was too impatient to wait for them to defrost into mousse.

xcgb
    Free Member

God yes I could never wait to defrost either, I had forgotten about those!

hora
    Free Member

Ben Shaws Dandelion and Burdock then take the empty bottle back for 5p 😀

Or BASS Shandy in cans. Gorgeous.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 133 total)

The topic ‘Food from your childhood.’ is closed to new replies.