Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Food for on the go when biking
  • Nipper99
    Free Member

for keeping up energy levels rather than a burst of energy. Sweet stuff like flap jack etc makes me gag – is there anything more savoury I can try. I wondered about beef jerky?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Where does the energy in beef jerky come from?

mjsmke

For longer rides a take an oat bar of some kind.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Carbohydrate? Don’t know, that why I asked the question.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and where is the carb in beef jerky?
    Have you ever seen someone with the meat hurts during exercise?

dknwhy

This if you want to make some effort to prepare. Easy option for me is to make a couple of wraps with salami or chorizo or corned beef etc…

Goldigger
    Free Member

Bananas, dried fruit.. Even a cheaky fruit cake..they do a nice fruit cake at the café at swinley!
    Energy drinks that contain glucose/fructose.. You need fast digesting energy sources that can get into the blood quickly..

Beef jerky is a protein source, best saved for after the ride. Although I would take a whey protein shake after the ride. Fast digesting and will aid recovery when needed the most.

cnud
    Free Member

Jerky’s fine I love it, loads of fat and protein along with peperami’s, scotch eggs and sarnies all work for me. Feed Zone Portables: A Cookbook of On-The-Go Food for Athletes is worth looking at if your prepared to do some cooking Clicky

mildbore

Peanut butter and date or banana sandwiches, been eating them for years on longer rides and big days, used to be my riding food for Polaris events back in the day, still have this as my choice food 20+yrs later

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

I make my own energy bars using this recipe which can be modified to taste, whatever combo of dried fruit, seeds, nuts etc you feel like. Normally take a banana or two as well, depending on how far I’m going.

3dorbit
    Free Member

Tortilla wraps with a smattering of marmite and lots of peanut butter. I wouldn’t sit eating it in front of the TV but it works really well out on the trail.

grum
    Free Member

Oat cakes.

vickypea
    Free Member

Marmite sandwiches

TiRed

Rice balls flavoured with Lea and Perrins Worcester sauce

Nipper99
    Free Member

Cashew and bacon rice cakes it is then!

jimdubleyou

Mmmm Marmite Sandwiches. Nom-nom

hambl90
    Free Member

Belvita breakfast biscuits , slow release carbs.

onandon
    Free Member

You can buy savoury gels.

senorj

Pork pie. Falafel .;-)

dovebiker

Folks that ride / run ultras can train their body to metabolise fats but it takes a while to adapt. The problem with savoury foods is they can be very salty and hard to palette when you’re slightly dehydrated. I generally stick with energy drinks and bars but do enjoy savoury stuff now and again during 12hr plus rides.

scuttler

Pork Pies. And no amount of stuffing them in an overfilled day-in-the-hills camelbak changes their shape or consistency.

Food of champions.

2tyred

Bagel, sliced in half and toasted. Peanut butter on one half, Nutella on the other. Halves back together, cut the bagel into quarters, stick them in a baggie in a jersey pocket.

Toasting it first makes it easier to eat for some reason. Replace the Nutella with cucumber to make it savoury.

parkesie
    Free Member

Malt loaf is the shizzle.

choppersquad
    Free Member

Mars Bars.
    Or for longer energy bursts…two Mars Bars.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Jelly babies

Saccades
    Free Member

Bombay Mix.

jonba
    Free Member

Few good suggestions up there, some completely ignoring the OP!

The portables book is a good start.

Potato cakes with cream cheese.
    Small boiled potatos – i like mine with a strong cheese.
    Sanwiches made using a heavy dense bread.
    Ive never had much luck getting the rice cakes to stay together.
    Youd need to do some googling to get recipes. But you can make cakes less sweet if you do your own. There are savoury baking options too. Either cake based or small pies,rolls.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Cheese. It’s all you need.

ontor
    Free Member

Maltloaf

CheesybeanZ

Maltloaf , peanut butter and jam sarnies , crisps , flapjack .

bentiggerwyles
    Free Member

I have to agree with the pork pie suggestion i rode twentyfour12 and some kind souls from the pits where offering pork pies out at about 2am

Was the best tasting pork pie i ever tasted

cookeaa

I would dispense with function and add a little civility if you can…

Basket of treats?

Baguette satchel? (watch where you’re going dear)

Yes!

MSP

Something I have been doing recently is “juicing” for liquids in my camelback. I have just made a batch up now as I am going out on the bike in 20mins.

4 apples, 4 oranges, 4 large carrots, 1 lemon, 1 beetroot, 1/2 head of celery, 1 cucumber and a good chunk of ginger, pinch of salt. All into a 3 litre camelback and top up with water

Everything apart from the oranges juiced skin and all (so I use organic). Is much more palatable than manufactured energy drinks and keeps a really level blood sugar level (not tested scientifically just6 how it feels).

If you looked at the headline macros, it probably wouldn’t be that different to an energy drink, but it just seems to be handled very differently by the body. I am quite surprised how much difference it has made to how my energy levels feel while riding, but I do wince a bit when I think of the cost.

I got the portables cook book, but I never really made anything from it, it all seems rather a lot of effort. I think a sandwich with peanut butter (non sweetened) and something else is very simple and quick.

BigJohn

I make bacon, peanut butter and apricot conserve rolls. Never a time when you can’t manage one of them. The more squashed they get the better and they’ll last a couple of days for longer trips.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Food for on the go when biking’ is closed to new replies.