Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Food for bikepacking/backpacking
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Any top tips?

Light and as calorific as possible? Got a few trips planned this year, I’d like to go as light as is practical, but don’t mind a wee bit of extra weight for tasty sustenance and a good sleeping bag and mat.

There’s loads of decent looking freeze dried stuff now, anything I’m missing that I can buy in a supermarket? Seen a couple of youtubers using that Idahoan cheesy smash with chorizo frinstance, stuff like that.

Lots of the ‘just add water’ type stuff in supermarkets is carrying the ‘only ### calories’ type branding, which isn’t ideal for fuelling!.

tjagain

I take

Pasta and sauce for mains. cuppasoups. Oatcakes cheese and olives for lunch. Porage pots for breakfast Halva, cereal bars chocolate, sweets dried fruit and nuts for snacks

Remains palatable for a few days 3000 calories a day for around 800 g a day. contains enough fibre and decent balanced diet

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Pasta and sauce quoted calories is for butter and milk added though Teej, that ain’t happening!.

jonba
    Free Member

It’s been too long since I carried stuff to know what specific products work.

General tip though is don’t discount fuel. I ate a lot of cous cous purely because it requires less fuel to cook than pasta or rice.

You can get extra calories by including deserts. I used to love custard when hiking.

For really high calorie you do start to struggle. You are looking at cheese, butter, dried meats, nuts, chocolate etc. At 500kCal/100g from memory.

There are probably websites where people list this stuff.

whitestone
    Free Member

The freeze dried meals are fine if expensive – they do vary in quality though, even across the same brand. The packaging they come in is bulky and designed for handling in a commercial/retail environment for up to a year – repackage in pour and store ziplock bags just before you set off, they’ll last a few days no problem and take up 1/3 to 1/2 of the original space. Take the silica gel pack out as well!

To keep completely out of calorific deficit you are looking at 1kg/day for food and fuel, you need more fuel for freeze dried food, so practically you run a slight deficit over the course of a trip.

“Real” foods like couscous cook quickly, actually a lot quicker than the freeze dried packages, the Ainsley Harriot flavoured versions are useful as a base. Add tuna or meat or whatever you like.

We take Quaker’s Oat so Simple sachets for breakfast, various flavours available.

Grab handfuls of those little sachets of salt and pepper from motorway services for seasoning, HP and tomato sauce as well if you can get away with it!

dufresneorama
    Free Member

I bought some mylar pouches off ebay. Fill with a packet of Thai noodles and empty in the sachets (mama brand works well), half a pack of cheesey mash, half a pack of some kinda polish sausage. – 400ml boiling water. Use as handwarmer for ten min before eating.

American through hikers call it a ramen bomb…

It’s carby, salty, and filling. Actually very satisfying after a long day. Plus all prep before you leave. Need a long handled spoon.

Porridge for breakfast and usually wraps for lunch with meat, primula cheese, or mackerel, dessert with peanut butter/chocolate

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

usually wraps for lunch with meat, primula cheese, or mackerel,

You watch ‘Walk with Wallace’ on youtube? that’s his go to, mackerel and primula cheese wrap. Boak!.

Aye, used Ainsley H couscous for years, and aware of the packaging of these FD meals. I like the sound of that ramen bomb!

jam-bo

supernoodles have the same calorific content per weight as the expensive freeze dried meals at a fraction of the cost.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Maybe per weight, but they’re quite bulky for the amount of calories, compared to couscous for instance.

thenorthwind

Carbs are never going to be as energy dense as fat, but kind of necessary for a sensible “balanced” meal. Cous cous is about as good as it gets in terms of quick cooking (or even just rehydration) and pack size, but it does get boring. I sometimes use orzo pasta as a compromise – slightly more bulk, slightly more cooking time, but more interesting. If you use the right amount of water to cook it in (or just drain some off) you can use mix something into it (tomato puree, etc.) to make a sauce so you’re not wasting fuel/water and getting some liquid in you too. The Italians, would, I suspect, not approve.

Spin
    Free Member

If it’s just for a few days I don’t mind eating the same things so I take different flavours of packet noodles and couscous.

I use a homemade meths burner and try to take as little fuel as possible so I boil enough water for the couscous and pour the water into the packet, turn the top over and leave it to rehydrate. I then boil enough water for the noodles, drop them in and leave them sitting in the hot water to rehydrate while I eat the couscous. By the time I’m done that the noodles are ready. I’ll sometimes add in a tin of fish for protein, heavier but filling.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Think easily available as well. Its more a philosophy, I go to the supermarket and have a look for thing that cook fast, and are dry, but fat is wet and the densest energy source.

My standard is (or more was been years):

Spaghetti or cuscus (cook cook quick as thin snap the spaghetti into short lengths). Some cured sausage (salami or similar) chopped in. Tube of tomato puree stirred in (as much as to taste) or cup of soup sachet. Add some cheese as well if you want. Lived off that for a while. If you want carry some dried garlic flakes and or onion flakes and or chilli powder for extra taste variation.

Noodles. On own or pot noddle from Chinese supermarket. Add a big spoonful of peanut butter and allow to thicken. Obviously don’t take the hole jar if only out for short trip just decant, but peanut butter makes a good energy source for a snack so not a bad shout if you spoon it out of the heavy glass jar. Though in an egg when cooking if just been to shop (see comment below regarding eggs and weight).

Noodles again. If you are going out and taking all your food with you from home so can prepare. DIY pot noodle, make it as big and as full as you like. Pack or 2 of cheap noodles, dried mushrooms, jerky, chilli flakes, garlic flakes, onion flakes, shock powder to taste. A bit of coriander on top if you like add water when you’re ready and cook.

Pita bread- harder to crush. Add above peanut butter for snack or if you have picked up other stuff to make a sandwich / snack.

Small bottle of olive oil (decanted to plastic bottle for weight). Pour extra over meals for more calories.

usual dried fruits, nuts, malt loaf, sweats as a pick me up.

Don’t be afraid of wet things like eggs if you are just shopping mid ride as you can just make sure you eat them asap. i.e. pop into shop at 10, maybe cook up mid morning sack / early lunch with some eggs. All the dried fruit will stop you being egg bound :). You can always leave / give away halve the eggs as you leave the shop if you’re on your own as 6 is too many.

Breakfast:
    I premake porridge mix rather than sachet as I like bigger oats as I find they are more sustaining than ready break powder. Sandwich bag with a portion of porridge, spoon of sugar and spoon of milk powder. Put in pan when I go to bed and add water so it soaks up well overnight and only requires heating.
    Tea with sugar

MoreCashThanDash

MCJnr uses stuff from the Wayfarer range for DofE and Scout expeditions. He’s a fussy eater but seems to enjoy them, quick, tasty and keep him going.

Just picked up a pack, and surprisingly heavy!

scotroutes

Just a general tip – a pot cosy made of that silver bubble wrap insulation will keep food warm while it’s rehydrsting without using so much fuel. If you are using the freeze-dried ready meals then it works well for them too.

p7eaven
    Free Member

For how many days away from grocers, OP?

Some ideas at the link below (plenty of breakfast oats) Someone said oatcakes. I find them good, along with muesli, peanut butter too. But watch the salt as you’ll require to source/carry/drink more fluids.

https://www.theyummylife.com/Backpacking_Food

And 6 instant meals (just use boiling water) from the same blog

https://www.theyummylife.com/Instant_Meals_On_The_Go

Most of the recipes employ ‘freeze dried chopped chicken’. For home-brewed dried meals I just use dried soya chunks/TVP wherever meat is specced. You can buy TVP chunks or mince either flavoured or unflavoured. Inexpensive too.

In my dreams I employ a perfectly-experienced dehydrater and vacuum-sealer who turns all of my chillis, biryanis and lentil stews into featherweight delicious instant-meals. 🍛

Here’s a good resource:

https://www.cleverhiker.com/blog/13-great-backpacking-meal-recipes-amp-food-dehydration-tips

whitestone
    Free Member

On the subject of rehydrating: some foods like quinoa (however you like to pronounce it) need boiling water to initiate the cooking/rehydrating process but others, including the freeze dried meals, don’t. The heat just speeds up the process.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

For how many days away from grocers, OP?

Potentially 5, unless Scotroutes or Captain Mainwaring can take a wee mid stomp parcel!

Aye, I’ve used a pot cosy (yanks bizarrely call it a coozy) to good effect, and a packet shaped one for using the dehydrated meals too, works well.

tjagain

Pasta and sauce quoted calories is for butter and milk added though Teej, that ain’t happening!.

Not necessarily the packets by that name but a pile of pasta and a sauce of some sort. Pesto tuna onion being one. Marshalls quick cook pasta comes in handy 250 and 500 g bags which is handy. Using my jetboil you can bring the pasta to boiling then leave it to stand – built in insulation.

Halva is really good – calorie dense, remains palatable, contains fibre 🙂 Olives make eating a lot of cheese and oatcakes easier as well

tuboflard

Pasta and pesto (you can get mini pots now) is quick and easy (pre-grated Parmesan too for extra tastiness). Just add water porridge too for breakfast is the best option, perhaps with some dried cranberries to throw in as well.

I’ve heard good reports too about Real Turmat meals, never tried them but they look and sound great.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Marshalls quick cook pasta comes in handy 250 and 500 g bags which is handy. Using my jetboil you can bring the pasta to boiling then leave it to stand – built in insulation.

Good shout, reckon I could rattle up a mean cheesy pasta, a filthy favourite of mine! Never heard of Halva, I’ll halva look (sorry)

jimdubleyou

MCJnr uses stuff from the Wayfarer range for DofE and Scout expeditions. He’s a fussy eater but seems to enjoy them, quick, tasty and keep him going.

The worst camp meal I’ve had by far was a Exped food. Chilli-Con-Carne that had an aftertaste of vomit…

Wayfarer is ok.
    Quite like the Adventure Food breakfasts.
    Got some Firepot testers which I have only tried one of so far.

Advice is if you’re not making your own (as posters above) try them before you’re in the middle of nowhere scoffing salted peanuts to get rid of a horrible taste…

scotroutes

Potentially 5, unless Scotroutes or Captain Mainwaring can take a wee mid stomp parcel!

I’m pretty sure something can be arranged. Either meeting up whiile you are en route or leaving a cache for you.

anagallis_arvensis

Decathlon do own brand freeze dried stuff which is ok and cheaper than most, I like puddings.

The packaging they come in is bulky and designed for handling in a commercial/retail environment for up to a year – repackage in pour and store ziplock bags just before you set off, they’ll last a few days no problem and take up 1/3 to 1/2 of the original space

Thats a good tip, thanks

Pre cooked sausages and smash type stuff with some gravy granules is a fav of mine for a 1night or the first night.

i_like_food

I did 5 days on a combo of oats/powdered milk, Dairy Milk and couscous/stockcubes (with a couple of fast food meals added in when I rolled through a town). Worked but wasn’t very exciting.

Luckily I like Dairy Milk!

jobro
    Free Member

With a view on simply getting as many calories per gram, I noticed a few of the GBDuro riders last year were using blocks of marzipan for energy replacement. Not a long term solution I know, but maybe carry a little for that sugar injection!

dufresneorama
    Free Member

You watch ‘Walk with Wallace’ on youtube? that’s his go to, mackerel and primula cheese wrap. Boak!.

That’s where I got the mackerel idea! 😂

But a wrap with half a smoked sausage and a dod of primula is a lovely thing.

Most delicious meal I’ve ever eaten was pasta, dolomio and corned beef… Amazing how good food tastes on the hill after a very long day. The old saying shite wi sugar on it comes to mind.

scotroutes

I’ve sometimes made chocolate marzipan rolls. Just roll out marzipan, pour on melted chocolate, spread, allow to cool a bit then roll up into a big sausage. Slice into bite-sized chunks.

ahsat

If you do go down the freeze dried meal route, the Firepot ones are easily the best. Yes expensive but you can eat them several days in a row and not be sick of the sight of them. Highly recommended.

I also like those pre cooked salad pouch things eg Jamie Oliver does some. Not the lightest but require no water to cook, and can also be eaten cold from the packet. Great if really low on energy/fuel etc. And squashy to pack.

Often on offer in Morrison’s etc.

Pittas or small flat wraps with primula was always a favourite. Now tend to use babybells. They keep for ages. Sweaty cheese…

martinhutch

If you do go down the freeze dried meal route, the Firepot ones are easily the best.

They are surprisingly good, for freeze-dried. You can get them in XL as well if you’re a greedy bastard or need a few extra calories.

Other than that, a couple of those porridge/golden syrup sachets weigh bugger all and take care of breakfast.

scotroutes

Another Firepot fan. I’ve had one XL size and struggled to finish it. The others have all been pretty good but my favourite is the Orzo Pasta Bolognese.

After their first batch I suggested that they add water volume onto the instructions in addition to the marker line. This is handy if you don’t want to waste fuel heating too much water. They did this for the next batch onwards

freeagent
    Free Member

My only (slightly obvious) suggestion is if you’re buying freeze dried curries/other things you don’t normally eat – have one at home the week before you go – just to make sure it doesn’t go through you like a freight train.

I quite like Flapjack for long rides – last time i did the RideLondon100 i bought a couple of big, cheap flapjacks from Aldi.
    I’ve never had stomach cramps like it – thought it might have been nerves/etc so ate another the following weekend – same thing, cramps and gas.

I also used to be a DofE expedition assessor – and remember a few people really strugglnig after eating a load of stuff they’d never normally eat.. Haribo being a regular culprit.

whitestone
    Free Member

Marzipan is really good for when it’s cold since it’s fat based so doesn’t freeze up as readily as say chocolate. It also doesn’t crumble.

Put a block in your jacket chest pocket, feeling peckish?, reach in and take a bite and put it back.

Another +1 for the Firepot meals, the veg chilli is good.

stevious

Marzipan is really good for when it’s cold since it’s fat based so doesn’t freeze up as readily as say chocolate. It also doesn’t crumble.

Don’t do what I did on a mountain marathon once and eat a whole block in one go after dinner. The sleepless nights from stomach cramps definitely didn’t help our day 2 performance.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Our local Home Bargains does 2 minute rice biryani in bags for microwaving. I take one of them and empty into the pot along with a bag of chickpea or lentil curry sauce. Just needs bringing to a boil. Tasty and easy to pack in and out. Also 79p a pack. The Higates flapjacks are also good; 500 calories per bar for 35p.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Holy phoenix from the ashes!

So, 5 days in the Cairngorms next week, going with 2 porridge bars for brekkie, a 500/600 calorie freeze dried meal for lunch, 1000 cal one for dinner, and various snacks/cheeses for through the day. Works out about 3200 calories per day, for 5 days, at 4.2kg. Meals are a mix of summit to eat and firepot.

I usually use meths, but going gas for convenience this time, see how that goes.

Route is the Rigby round from the ski centre at Cairngorm mountain, 18 munros, 4 summit(ish) camps, about 15 miles a day and 1500-2000m ascent each day.

Just need the weather now.

benp1

FWIW – I rarely opt for a hot meal in the daytime. Sometimes the weather is too rubbish to stop and get cold/wet so snacks mean I can keep moving. Also it’s quicker and easier. Doesn’t mean I don’t ever stop, but it means I can choose when I stop and can have shorter, more regular snack breaks if I fancy it

jimdubleyou

Have you tried the meals before?

*Some of them smell like cat-vomit, some of them don’t taste of anything, but experience of choking down cat-vomit smelling, re-constituted chilli-con-carne with peanuts because it’s the only thing in your pack is not one I’m keen to repeat.

The breakfast ones (either muesli or beans & meat) are usually good.

*This story gets better every time I tell it 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve not tried all of them JW, but tbh I can pretty much eat anything. 😋

scotroutes

Any caching/stashing reqd? Unfortunately I’ll not be around next week but I could maybe make a trip in the next couple of days.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

No, we’re fine thanks Colin, tbh I’d be too worried about mice or weegies finding it, so gave up on the idea!.

Heading up on Sunday, was gonna see if Alex fancies a beer when we finish on Friday, I’ll ping you too if yer about.

Edit – just remembered I’ve got one of those chorizo Spanish omelettes for lunch the first 2 days, only really having freeze dried the 3 days after that.

Canny wait, hopefully the current snow on the corries and gullies stays put!.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Food for bikepacking/backpacking’ is closed to new replies.