Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Folding bikes
  • chvck
    Free Member

Here’s the deal: I’m back at work in a few weeks after a period of extended leave. I go into the office once a week, it’s a little under 2 miles to the train station and about a mile the other end. Walking is absolutely no longer an option, I can’t walk that far anymore and nothing is likely to improve that.

Considering the distances and frequency (it will get used for other short trips to the shops and stuff too) what folding bikes are good? Obviously a Brompton is the default but that’s very spendy for my requirements, any experience with the Dahons at around 300? Weight is a slight factor as I’ll need to carry it up and down steps.

Thanks for any advice!

scaredypants

If lifting is a big issue, how about investing a tenner into two bikes from your local tip – one left at each station ? Make them look shit enough and they’ll probably be left alone

swedishmetal
    Free Member

I am not a huge fan of bromptons BUT they are very good at what they do, perfect for a train journey and not too heavy if you can avoid getting all the gears – singlespeed or the 2sp are the lightest IIRC.
    As they fold up small they are less bulky to move around which will probably feel lighter than one of the bigger folders.
    As they have a fast food they are perfect for your short journeys.
    They keep their value very very well so if you decide it isn’t for you you’ll probably lose less money on a Brompton than any other bike, folding or otherwise!

As I say, I’m not a fan of Bromptons but all the above plus the fact the new versions are much better engineered means I’m fighting a losing battle when it comes to buying my own!

EDIT 24lbs for a 2sp steel frame with mudguards.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Mrs nobeer bought a 200 quid decathlon folder for fitting in her wee fiat 500, she likes to head off somewhere on her day off.

Shes 5’1″ and less than 8 stone, sure you’d be fine lifting one!

The 500 quid one is 11kg IIRC

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

I’ve had one of the Decathlon B’Twin tilt 120 bikes for about 6 months (was £180 when I bought, now £200)

I use mine for a 2 mile ride to the station then a 3 mile ride the other side. I do have to carry it up and down some steps during the commute, which is fine – according to the website it weighs 14.5kg

For the money I’ve been very impressed – mudguards as standard and even a set of lights (more use for being seen than actually seeing)

There is a lighter singlespeed version for £150, but personally I’d rather have some gearing (it’s a 6 speed gripshift)

TiRed

Bromptons are heavy. They are compact and carry luggage well. But they are heavy. An aluminium framed Dahon with 20” wheels will not be any lighter.

The decathlon is fine for a short commute. If you are just jumping on a train (not tube) most people seem happy with the simple fold in half. Rather than collapse down the bars and saddle. So fold is really not that important.

I’d buy a singlespeed decathlon, strip it to be as light as you can, use that for a while and see how you like it.

There are no light folding bikes. My aluminium framed 16” wheel Tactic is just 8 kilos. It’s hard to go lower without titanium, no mudguards or rack and no carbon parts. If you get below 10 kilos, that’s not a bad target. My old Brompton was more than that without the posh parts.

jet26
    Free Member

Have a dahon. Ridden it lots on distances of up to 8-10 miles. Rides well, stiffer and easier to ride than a Brompton but doesn’t fold as small

For the money the dahons cost they are pretty bombproof.

epicyclo

I’ve had a few Dahons, even ridden a century on a basic Boardwalk.

Decent bikes and I like them, you get what you pay for.

If I had to take it on a train, I’d buy a Brompton though.

chvck
    Free Member

Thanks all, plenty to think about there. I hadn’t intended to imply that weight was a major issue.

nuke

Used a Dahon for years as a way to get to & from station at each end or to get me to & from where I’d parked the car for work…never let me down and worked perfectly albeit with the odd bit of basic tlc (new chain, pads etc). Ive used my brother’s Brompton and it was lighter and folded up smaller but the Dahon was significantly cheaper and at the end of the day it still fitted in my car boot and under my desk so did what it needed to do

chvck
    Free Member

@nuke what model was it?

nuke

Dahon Curve D3 (3 speed hub gear)

poolman
    Free Member

I would get a used brompton for c 550, yes 12kg for an m3, use it for a few years you should get 500 back. I paid 425 used for my 08 s3l, I reckon I would get 500 back now. Usual consumable parts like tyres, cables cost 100, pivot points were 100.

stumpy01

For £300 how about a Huawei electric scooter instead?

Depends on the route obviously (and legality) I suppose, but I frequently see people zipping up and down the cycle path by the guided busway nr Cambridge on them.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Folding bikes’ is closed to new replies.