Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Föhn clothing (specifically jackets) – any experiences? Or an alternative…
  • a11y

Not much in the way of reviews. Another of Wiggle’s own brand I think.

I’m looking for a proper waterproof jacket for riding. Less active riding as it’ll mainly be worn when pootling with the kids and standing around coaching the local club, so keen for something that has a decent hood. Ideally NOT black. This looks OK but not found much info elsewhere on it: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/fohn-supercell-3l-waterproof-jacket-1

Anyone had experience with the brand? (or feel free to suggest an alternative at a similar price point).

cheddarchallenged
    Free Member

I’ve got one of their stretch waterproof jackets and it’s been great. Also have a fohn insulated Parka jacket and the quality on that is more suited to a jacket £1-200 more expensive.

vmgscot

I have a pair of their walking trousers and the GF has just bought their 2.5L waterproof (yet to try). It looks like it comes out same factory as their in-house Nukeproof clothing which I have been using and found to be decently made and good performing.

a11y

Thanks, sounds promising. I’ve been impressed with all the Nukeproof and DHB clothing I’ve had in the past so I’ll give it a try.

How have you both found the sizing on Fohn stuff? Reviews suggest they come up big. I know Wiggle does free returns, but I’d rather avoid the hassle if possible.

fettlin

Ooh, bookmarked! I’ve had one of the OP jackets in my basket since the weekend, looks really good value at that price but having not heard of the brand before i’ve been reluctant to purchase.

vmgscot

The walking trousers fit well – I’m 38 waist and long legs and I opted for the XL with 34″ leg length option. The Nukeproof packable cycling jacket is a good fit on me as well XL and I’m 6ft2 90Kg – not baggy nor tight.

Aidy
    Free Member

I bought one of their Alpha jackets pretty recently. Not used it yet. Seems nice enough though – I’m happy for the money.

Sizing seems okay. More outdoor clothing sizing than cycling sizing.

a11y

Thanks. Ordered the Supercell jacket in ‘Grenadine’ – looks a suitably retina-damaging colour. I’ll report back.

honourablegeorge

a11y

Thanks, sounds promising. I’ve been impressed with all the Nukeproof and DHB clothing I’ve had in the past so I’ll give it a try.

Yeah, I’d trust them on that basis, Fohn is their outdoor brand equivalent to those two

fenboy

I got one of the Föhn Polartec Alpha Hybrid Jacket in a sale at the end of last winter and used it properly this winter, its great! Fit’s as expected

Jase
    Free Member

My partner has a couple of their fleeces and waterproof jacket. For the money they’re decent. Weak point seems to be the zip as this has broke on one of the fleeces and also did on her previous jackets but Wiggle sent a replacement and told her to keep the broken jacket!

I have the beanie and its very small. Also a down jacket which is the warmest I’ve ever owned, in fact I rarely wear it as its seldom cold enough.

karnali
    Free Member

@fenboy what you using the alpha jacket for and how warm do you find it, I bought one reduced not used it yet wondering how warm especially with only the top half of arm using the alpha insulation and conversely if it will be too warm to run in?

fenboy

Hi @karanli I use it when it’s not super wet but chilly!! Great with LS base, LS riding top plus that jacket down to freezing is fine. If colder added another layer?
    I’ve always preferred a windproof than a waterproof though as I run hot!!?
    I think it’s a great jacket for the money,
    You don’t notice the arms! Like wearing an insulated gilet plus windproof,,, sort of?
    Might be too warm for running!?? Runnings Not something I subscribe too??

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Föhn clothing (specifically jackets) – any experiences? Or an alternative…’ is closed to new replies.