Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Fog = Lights on
  • craigxxl
    Free Member

Please turn your flipping lights on in the fog. I’ve just witnessed two accidents within the space of 3 miles going into Leeds. A cyclist with no lights on getting knocked off his bike. Driver pulling out of a junction didn’t see him and nor did I from the other side of the road. Cyclist was OK luckily just a ripped jacket and probably going to be sore later.
    Second was a grey Audi that raced down the outside lane only for a van to change lanes in front of him. Flips sake a grey car in the fog without lights might as well be invisible. Car probably had automatic lights that don’t come in the fog like mine but it doesn’t take much brain power to switch them on.
    If you can’t put your lights on in the fog take an idiot day and stay at home for everyone else’s sake. Rant over.

Drac

Car probably had automatic lights that don’t come in the fog like mine but it doesn’t take much brain power to switch them on.

Mine do if it’s dull enough but it has daylight running lights too, LED ones the ones people complain about Audis having. I can’t win.

unklehomered
    Free Member

No, No, No…

You completely failed to understand what fog lights for. They aren’t for illuminating your car. They are like elephant powder.

When do you see people with their fogs lights on? think about it?

When its clear as possible. Fog lights repel fog! If its actually got foggy its too late. Turn on all the lights in the world it won’t do any good.

You need to keep your fog lights on when it’s clear, and that will keep it clear. I’ve been making observations for a while now and I’m convinced this is how it works. It’s the only thing that explains it.

coatesy
    Free Member

Seems like it’s almost compulsary to not use lights on a grey car when visibility’s poor around here, i’ve also got a theory that BMWs have their foglight switches upside down, judging by the number with them on in nice clear weather, and the number without when it’s foggy.
    Edit,the fog repellant thing would make sense too.

Drac

He’s never mentioned fog lights. 😀

munrobiker
    Free Member

Out of interest I counted on the way in to work and there were 11 cars and vans without lights on, 9 driven by wimminz. Read into it what you will. The number of idiots also rose the further south I went.

allthegear
    Free Member

Read into it what you will.

You can’t spell women?

cb

The Danes have it right – dipped headlights all the time! There are simply no downsides to that.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Allthegear- that was a bit of an ironic statement (though correct based on my observation).

Onzadog
    Free Member

Manual lights, on all the time. I think it’s a throw back to my motorcycling days.

rOcKeTdOg

The Danes have it right – dipped headlights all the time! There are simply no downsides to that.

changing worn bulbs

Northwind

I think a lot of commuters just take their lights off in spring because they won’t be doing night riding, so get caught out by low visibility.

DezB
    Free Member

unklehomered must have warm cheeks after that post! 😳 😆

nickdavies
    Free Member

You have fog? You should come darn sarf a bit, bright and sunny all morning in Birmingham 😉

I don’t really see why anyone bothers fitting lights and mirrors round here though, no-one uses them.

Cyclists are worse, the amount of commuters I see bimbling around here in the dark in black gear with no lights on is amazing – how they all survive I don’t know!

GrahamS

Except that drivers become habituated into just looking for lights and become even less likely to spot unlit hazards and road users (e.g. pedestrians, horses, cyclists)

ads678

Yep I took my lights off, put them back on this morning because of the fog. and donned a hi viz jersey. Bloody cold it was as well.

medoramas
    Free Member

I always have the lights on: when driving (that’s a habit from Poland – by law you must have them on all year round) and when riding a bike (that’s after realizing how little cyclists are seen from the drivers perspective).

whitestone
    Free Member

My commuter has a dynamo hub so unless I change the front wheel I’ve lights all year.

A lot of motorists think that their lights are just to see and forget that they are also used to be seen.

Deveron53
    Free Member

What about sidelight use in fog, rain and other low visibility situations? Useless, but still they put them on. Why? Dipped headlights should be minimum. Why do sidelights even still exist?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Fog = Lights on’ is closed to new replies.