Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • FOD Wild Boar Chase
  • ready

Got half an eye on this, but not exactly sure what to expect. Has anyone done it? Any good points / bad points?

trailwagger
    Free Member

Doing it this weekend. Its my first one, but I have been told its mostly fireroad so I will be on my gravel bike.

cjr61

Done it a couple of years and found it mostly gravel and fire road. Well organised and very friendly but not as much Singletrack as I’d hoped. Worth a day out though as beautiful scenery. Road FS first year but Hardtail (100mm) seemed about right.

russyh
    Free Member

Didn’t think you were allowed to do it in a gravel/CX bike?? Could be wrong. It’s fire road heavy and a bit of slog tbh. Well it was last time I did it in the run up to Ard Rock with a big enduro bike and downhill tyres! But quite enjoyable if you are not heading there to ride any kind of trail. Gets very busy on the single track sections. So get to the front for the start. The frustrating thing for me was riding past some fantastic trails.

Just embrace it as a MTB sportive and bring your xc bike and fast rolling tyres

simonloco
    Free Member

Love it, short travel hardtail, get to the front and nail it for first few miles to keep clear of the crowds 😉

switchbacktrog
    Free Member

We’re doing the Woody Boar on the tandem.

si77

Last year’s course kept it on the fireroads for longer at the start which allowed the field to spread out before the singletrack sections, so there wasn’t the same bottleneck as in previous years (or if there was, I was ahead of it!). I saw one rider on a gravel bike last year, and they seemed to be struggling on one of the singletrack descents, I’m sure they were quicker everywhere else,but personally I’d rather be on a bike that is more capable on roots and rocks even if it’s slower on the road. You’ve got to keep in mind that the WBC is not a race, so you might as well enjoy the short fun sections between the mile-munching. I’ll be on a XC hardtail with fast rolling tyres. Will be treating it as a training ride this year, so say “hi” when you’re steaming past.

mattsccm
    Free Member

To be honest its not exactly worth a MTB. Last year I saw 2 CX bikes. The young lady buggered of at the start and left me for dead, but then she is a successful rod racer, and me. May have been the odd one right at the back when we started. ( I was hanging onto the wheels of much faster club mates at the front for the first few miles) Only had one marginally techy descent near Blackpool Bridge where I was passed down hill and another short one near Staunton where I stopped to have a slash.
    You may be passed by the odd MTB on the slightly techy down hill but otherwise it will be skinny tyres every day.
    Watch out for ill mannered numpties though.

bruceonabike
    Free Member

Any singlespeeders attending? I’m considering which bike to take, rigid ss Stooge with 27.5+ or geared HT 29er (Sherpa).

trailwagger
    Free Member

Great ride today, the weather was excellent and I found it all great fun. Except for that last climb up to speech house 🥺 I was battered by then!
    Only saw one other gravel/cx bike though.

simonloco
    Free Member

Glad you had a good one, yes the last climb had me a few years back laying on the floor with mega cramp as about 50 people went past me 😭

bigblackshed

I was all up for it this year, but The Wife decided to book a weekend away.

Glorious weather for it, but I saw an elevation chart for the full boar, the second too last climb looked brutal. I’d have been on a SS, too.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Second to last isn’t that bad, it’s very long but apart from a short start and end bit it’s a nice steady gradient.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Anyone know who the event photographers were? Or were to find the photos?

bruceonabike
    Free Member

the second too last climb looked brutal. I’d have been on a SS, too.

The climb from the Wye up to Christchurch was merciless, the whole way up I was thinking “thank goodness I didn’t bring the ss after all”. Banana stop at the top was most welcome.

si77

Completely bonked 3 hours in, so those banana stops at Soudley and Christchurch were my saviour. Big thanks to all the volunteers and good to see plenty of opportunities to pick up water along the route for those that needed it.

@trailwagger
    they’ll update the webpage with a link to the photos in the next few days if previous years are anything to go by.

si77

Edit:

Staunton not Soudley

trailwagger
    Free Member

Timings are out. Holy crap Batman! 3hrs is seriously quick.

si77

Ah, but were they on a cx bike?

(Still an achievement even if they were)

trailwagger
    Free Member

Ah, but were they on a cx bike?
    (Still an achievement even if they were)

No, I was the only idiot doing that! One of the three hour guys was on a fat bike though….

switchbacktrog
    Free Member

Our first time this year and thoroughly enjoyed it. We only did the shorter Woody Boar though. Woody Boar Start.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘FOD Wild Boar Chase’ is closed to new replies.