Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • FoD Mini Enduro
  • sturdylad
    Free Member

Anyone else doing it next weekend?
    A few of us making the trip over to have a go, really looking forward to it.
    Never done one before, anything to look out for?

orena45

Did it last year and wanted to do it again this year but I’ve just had to spunk a load of money on new SRAM transmission so don’t have the money for it now 🙁

Did a race report on my blog last year (which ended up being plagiarised by a fellow racer much to my annoyance). Might help give you an idea of the day.

marksnook
    Free Member

I’m riding, never rode a mini enduro but did rise the twighlight enduro the other week And a few smaller ones. Stages are normally a good mix of natural and dh/ trail stuff. They always seem fairly relaxed and most are out for a ride and chat!

fathomer

I’ve done the last two Spring ones and really enjoyed them, great trails and friendly chat and banter. Wanted to do the upcoming one but it’s the MIL’s 70th birthday so no can do 🙁

Bigmantrials

I am riding, never entered an event before but wanted to do something before the end of the year. Really looking forward to it.

sturdylad
    Free Member

Thanks all and Andy for the blog link, sounds right up our street!
    Looking forward to having a laugh with our group, lots of friendly rivalry!
    A few of us are going to camp close by on the Saturday, probably not in time to get a recce done but sounds like there will be plenty of time for that on Sunday.

kiksy
    Free Member

I’m in for this. Did it last year, its good fun. Nice and relaxed, plenty of time to practice in the morning and then start times were ‘advisory’ it seemed. You could go pretty much whenever you wanted.

A few of us are going to camp close by on the Saturday, probably not in time to get a recce done

I think they tape the stages Sat. Pretty sure a few people I spoke to practiced on the Sat and then only did a brief warmup Sunday to stay fresh.

They had 3 stages last year, although I noticed on Instagram they might do 4 for this race. A good mix of stuff, a bit of twisty pedally, a bit of rougher stuff and some great natural offcamber thrown in too.

russyh
    Free Member

I’m racing if, Fod local but first time I have ever raced there! Always avoided it to be honest…no excuses and all that

sturdylad
    Free Member

Won’t be the only Enduro virgins then…. That’s good to know!

GolfChick
    Free Member

Yep rode the one in spring this year and despite only getting back from my holiday on Saturday I’ve been convinced to enter again. Had great fun last time, as others have said nice atmosphere. We just get there Sunday morning and have a brief practice on the stages and then turn up for slotted times. No penalities for turning up late either.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Looking forward to it, I had a great time when I last went to FoD for a night enduro. Me and my girlfriend are both racing but I guess it is split into categories so I will not be able to do the race with her. I think we will look to do half a days uplift on Saturday to add to the fun.

russyh
    Free Member

Somewhat annoyed I have been called to Munich with Work next Sunday, so now won’t be able to race…

wrightyson
    Free Member

It’s a great laugh. My only tip is don’t watch everyone binning it at the bottom of stage one on that nasty off camber step up, it really doesn’t help settle your nerves. We had a great weekend last year especially having a chilled practice ride on the Saturday.
    They did close one cheeky drop off /gnar section last year on race day after somebody smashed themselves up quite badly on it.

sturdylad
    Free Member

OK, now you got me worried!!

enigmas
    Free Member

Having done the last 4 mini enduros my points would be:

-Transition times are super relaxed, expect a long wait at the top of stages.
    -Mud tyres are needed, at least on the front if it’s rained before. Double shortys last year was a godsend.
    – There’s nothing crazy steep or techy, more roots and mud are the things to worry about. The aformented chute was proper sketchy but after a guy broke his femur on it I don’t think it’ll come back
    – One stage is always pedally as funk.
    – I always go clips, but finish wishing I was on flats.
    – It’s a great laugh!

sturdylad
    Free Member

That version makes me happier, I’ll think about that one until Sunday morning! 😀

sturdylad
    Free Member

The weather is looking good for the weekend, that’s one less thing to worry about, reckon it’s gonna be a chilly night night in the van though!

slowbloke
    Free Member

Where’s a good place to watch this? We are planning on getting up early to drive up from Devon then do some riding in the morning followed by a spot of spectating in the afternoon.

monkeyboyjc

Gutted Ive missed signing up for this now that my local Mean and dirty enduros have been put on hold.

iain65
    Free Member

First Enduro for me too, rode the stages today a few times – really good fun and a lot of new stuff, should be fun tomorrow, even at my slow downhill pace!

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Stages are great fun! I would say towards bottom of stage 4 will be the best place to spectate.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Enjoy fellas. Looks a good day for it. Ride safe!

iain65
    Free Member

Bloody good fun today, nice bunch of people. My son lost his garmin on stage three and someone handed it in – says it all really!

kiksy
    Free Member

Really great stages today. Really good. Possibly my favourite race ever. Well organised again and great atmosphere.

mboy
    Free Member

2 minor blots on the copybook (more of a dig @ pedalabikeaway than Mini Enduro guys)… The parking has always been included in race entry fees before, and the gents toilets, I’m sorry but they were a joke! The cubicles in the gents have been sub par for as long as I can remember there, but they really need fixing properly now!

Rant over…

4 great stages, fantastic that they used an updated Frying Pan and Bitch Gap (meaning heading “over the road” for once), the other 2 trails were great too. I much preferred the 4 sub 2 minute stages than having 3 longer ones I must say.

Shame I’ve not been on top form recently and that showed in my results, but despite being slightly sub par myself I thoroughly enjoyed the race.

Bigmantrials

Had an awesome day, didn’t know what to expect. didn’t crash, didn’t come last so all in, a good day!

sturdylad
    Free Member

Bloody loved it!
    Pushed myself beyond my comfort zone, so that’s good.
    A bit disappointed with my rides in the race itself, got carried away in Stage 1 and over-rode it, ended up slow!
    Stage 2 was a bit too “droppy” for me but rode it better than I did in practice.
    Stage 3 was fantastic, just one error (in front of a group of friends obv!)
    Stage 4 was also great and again one error in front of friends both just running wide and losing time though.
    Well organised I thought, any idea why the parking behind and beyond the cafe wasn’t open initially?
    I also heard tales of long queues for the toilets but thankfully I didn’t need them!
    Will look at doing another event for sure!
    Hope the guy that crashed in Stage 1 is recovering well, it sounded nasty!

slowbloke
    Free Member

Although I didn’t ride in the Enduro I went up to ride in the morning and watch the enduro in the afternoon. Looked well organised and the atmosphere was great. Trails were as always a good laugh.

I can confirm that at times there were big queues for the toilets but there were an awful lot of people there so I guess that is only to be expected.

Excellent day out all round 8)

boxxer7
    Free Member

Hope the guy that crashed in Stage 1 is recovering well, it sounded nasty!

That was me! I don’t remember much tbh I just remember starting the stage and that’s it to be fair it was only about the 2nd or 3rd corner. Apparently I was walking around but I don’t remember any of that, it was only once I was in the paramedics 4×4 I started to be a little more with it.

Spent a fair few hours at glouster hospital, a few grazes a pretty decent concussion and had to have the top of my ear sewn back on with 7 stitches. Got away lightly I think considering.

Bike on the other hand is another matter! Snapped top tube by the looks of it!

Massive thank you to the race marshalls and the paramedics and ambulance crew for their treatment and care.

Was really looking forward to the race it really suited what I like riding but I got a little stuck in and paid the price

Thanks

Dave.

slowbloke
    Free Member

Ouch! Get well soon!

marksnook
    Free Member

That was me! I don’t remember much tbh I just remember starting the stage and that’s it to be fair it was only about the 2nd or 3rd corner. Apparently I was walking around but I don’t remember any of that, it was only once I was in the paramedics 4×4 I started to be a little more with it.

Spent a fair few hours at glouster hospital, a few grazes a pretty decent concussion and had to have the top of my ear sewn back on with 7 stitches. Got away lightly I think considering.

Bike on the other hand is another matter! Snapped top tube by the looks of it!

Glad you are ok, I was riding up as you crashed and it sounded horrendous! Had my fingers crossed it was a tree snapping and not bones!

All in all a really good race, I normally ride well in practice then crash loads under pressure but this time I held it together so very happy!

mboy
    Free Member

Cos she’ll appreciate me embarrassing her… golfchick on the top step of the podium again, two in two races no less! 😉

Half decent pic of me looking like I know what I’m doing, happy days!

And the fisheye one on the steep drop on Bitch Gap (stage2)…

Got your number!

mark90
    Free Member

I was away so couldn’t race this. I recognise some of the tracks (waste land and bitch gap) in the event photos but not all. Anyone care to share their strava/gpx (pm if you don’t want to post it here) Thanks

iain65
    Free Member
    mark90
    Free Member

Thanks Iain 🙂

GolfChick
    Free Member

Yeah really enjoyed the day again. I used the loo enough times to gloat about the fact I had no queue against the common norm.

Trophy bigger than the last one but no freebies. I get that with so many categories you can’t give stuff to everyone but personally I’d of liked to see the same size trophy as before and maybe a freebie to say the fastest man and woman. Especially with the £50 entry fee and parking on top.

My none riding partner came to watch for first time which was lovely but he clearly needs to work on his shouting encouragement. I knew where he was on each stage cause I glimpsed him but didn’t hear him once!

Good stages with mix of semi steep and technical even though it was a bit blown out by time women raced down. Definitely within the comfort zone and great fun! Annoyed I put a foot down on fourth stage, took my focus off with so much shouting from spectators.

mboy
    Free Member

My none riding partner came to watch for first time which was lovely but he clearly needs to work on his shouting encouragement. I knew where he was on each stage cause I glimpsed him but didn’t hear him once!

I think he was embarrassed to shout encouragement as it was so obvious you’d totally wasted the rest of the field! 😆

Annoyed I put a foot down on fourth stage, took my focus off with so much shouting from spectators.

You seen my time from stage 1?!?! I unclipped 5 times for some reason! Just couldn’t get any momentum, I think my practice run was quicker… Got it sorted for 2 & 3 though.

fodmtb
    Free Member

A few clips I got from stages 1 & 2 Video

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘FoD Mini Enduro’ is closed to new replies.