Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • F.O.D. FlyUp
  • singlespeedstu

Is it worth booking on the uplift there when it’s wet?
    Or is it not steep enough and a muddy mess.

JEngledow
    Free Member

I’m booked on for Friday, I wasn’t sure, but after watching some of the recent videos the main trails look OK and so though I’d take the risk (Bikepark Wales was fully booked and I find the uplift at CwmCarn too long for doing on my own)!

empireofthefun
    Free Member

Lots of mud at the FOD but always good fun with a quick turnaround from the Flyup guys

mikey74
    Free Member

It was wet when I went. It didn’t stop the enjoyment and the tracks seem to hold up pretty well.

psling
    Free Member

There was an event there last Sunday and seems to have held up well in the wet. The trails are tough though and you need good skills to get the best out of them so if you’re a bit nervous or a newbie you may struggle in the conditions.

empireofthefun
    Free Member

I wouldn’t consider there is anything tough at the FOD but then as I live ten minutes away maybe I’ve got used to them .
    And I’m of average skills and a distinct lack of fitness.

singlespeedstu

The trails are tough though and you need good skills to get the best out of them so if you’re a bit nervous or a newbie you may struggle in the conditions.

You trying to tell me something Peter? 😆

CheesybeanZ

Stu have you talked to Pedro , he does the flyup quite regularly .

singlespeedstu

Does he now. 🙂

psling
    Free Member

It’s a good service Stu and you’ll get a lot of runs in. When you thinking of doing it? I’ll give you a state of the trails update at the time. Worth having a ride of the Freeminers if you’re riding at pedalabikeaway, there’s even some ‘shore being built! 8)

(sorry empireofthefun, I should have put a winky smiley earlier; I was taking the michael out of Stu 😉 )

singlespeedstu

Mid Feb I think Peter.
    Might be up for an XC ride on saturday then an uplift on the sunday.
    Care to join us anyone?

psling
    Free Member

Probably need to get it booked soon especially for a Sunday, they get pretty busy. I’m working all Saturdays through Feb unfortunately and you’ll not want me mincing around on the DH trails with you. Could always buy you a pint on the Sat night though 😀

widge34
    Free Member

Corkscrew was fine Last Saturday.

singlespeedstu

We might be in Ross on the saturday night so could maybe do a few beers together. 😀

Karl33to
    Free Member

I’ve raced at the FOD before and can assure you the DH trails are only easy if you’re riding them slowly, pick the pace up and they’re a lot more challenging, even more so in the current conditions, it was pretty darn slippy up there last weekend!

JEngledow
    Free Member

When I booked the weather forecast said Friday would be dry, but the latest is pretty much heavy rain all day 🙁 I’ll be able to give my opinion on weather its worth it in the rain on Friday night 😐

dropoff

Heres a few pics from the 661 Downhill on sunday to give you an idea of the conditions pics here

scruff
    Free Member

When I was inbetween DH bikes I took my Heckler when it was pretty muddy, seemed alot more suited as it was hard to get a lot of speed up on anything. Good mud tyres (not spikes) will make the most difference.

prezet
    Free Member

Was there at the weekend. Sheep Skull held up well to the abuse and rain. Endo has always been tough for me, the wet rooty corners always seem to catch me out.

Probably worth slinging on some decent mud tyres.

singlespeedstu

I’ll be able to give my opinion on weather its worth it in the rain on Friday night

That’d be good thanks.

JEngledow
    Free Member

In short, I think it’s still well worth the effort in the wet, but dress appropriately!

It was dry yesterday and this morning and I was really surprised how dry the trails were on the first couple of runs. There were quite a few puddles, but the trails themselves were all running pretty well. The morning started dry, but the rain set in just before lunch and it was lashing down when we went back out after a rather nice pie in the cafe. Due to the heavy rain this afternoon there was water running down/across a few of the trails, but the ground below that was still pretty firm and was actually faster (probably because the mud was less sticky).

The stoned track from the start ramp to the start of Corkscrew and GBU was running really well, Corkscrew was muddy in places, but flowing nicely and really fun, the top section of GBU was a bit heavy going, but it was running well from the first fire road, Endo was really sketchy and I’m not sure how I got down it, but it was still good fun and got the adrenalin pumping! The top of Ski Run was a bit of a slog (as always), but the rest of it was running nicely and I didn’t ride Sheepskull as it was raced on last week and a few others said it was pretty cut-up (I rode the top section down to the start of Ski Run and it was very muddy and cut-up). The only area which was particularly difficult was the flat section where all the trails end and cut back to the uplift, but that wasn’t really an issue.

singlespeedstu

Thanks for the report.

pedro101
    Free Member

Pedro , he does the flyup quite regularly

oh yeshhh!

some cracking new trails popping up around the dean too !
    wed be up for it 🙂

singlespeedstu

We’ll have to sort something out then.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘F.O.D. FlyUp’ is closed to new replies.