• This topic has 24 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by weeksy.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • FoD DH/Enduro this weekend, anyone playing ?
  • Premier Icon weeksy

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/248372/MIJ-FOREST-OF-DEAN—FREEDOM-AT-LAST

My lad and his 2 young mates are racing in this this weekend.

Last time it was raced there it was only DH in a loose term, using Sheepskull and Flatlands trail.. So more Enduro than DH if you ask me.

I’ve not currently entered, but if we can find out it’s racing on these 2 courses, i may do just so i can say i’ve raced DH 😀

Anyone up for it ?

Premier Icon pimpingimp
    Free Member

How very disrespectful, those trails have been a staple of south west Downhill racing since the 90’s!!
    Enduro indeed… 🙂

I’ll be there Saturday, will give you a shout if I see you and your son (I’ll recognise the bikes) but I’m not racing Sunday.

Premier Icon weeksy

Sorry mate. Compared to Caersws or even the haibike enduro, well the FoD are a bit tame. They can bite you of course, but at least I can get down those ones. Even if I can’t get down the big drop on gbu.

Not sure what time we’ll be over on Sat, I’d guess about 1.

Premier Icon Hob-Nob
    Free Member

According to FB, they are using Elephant Man. Which is a proper official cycle centre trail.

I’ve ridden it maybe twice in 18 months, safe to say I’m not a fan. There won’t be much line choice on it & I guess they will run it from the very top to make it 1min + so he will have some tables & there are various gaps all the way down to have a go at.

Suspension set up will be important as that track is rough as.

Premier Icon weeksy

According to FB, they are using Elephant Man

I’ve never even heard of it ! I thought i knew most there… maybe we know it as something else, so off to Youtube we go.

Premier Icon weeksy

the boys have ridden it with Katy Curd on training, i’ve not ridden it though as far as i can tell from Strava.

Premier Icon doomanic

Elephant Man is one of my favourites, but tamer than Y2K so I’m surprised they aren’t using that.

Premier Icon weeksy

I guess anyone looking for me and the lad at the weekend knows where to find us then 😀

We won’t get over too early on Sat as we shouldn’t have any parking issues, so about 1pm as we can then sign on and get numbers at the end of our ride in preparation for Sunday. I’ll be going down it slower than him that’s for sure.

Premier Icon doomanic

As Hob Nob said, Elephant Man is as rough as a badger’s arse, but there’s plenty of opportunities to get air and avoid a lot of the chatter.

I was hoping to hit the new trail that starts off the back of the hump on Saturday, but I guess that’s out now.

Premier Icon joebristol

I thought Y2K was a red ‘enduro trail’ on the outskirts of the centre and elephant man was a black ‘enduro trail’? So elephant man should be more difficult than Y2K? I think I’ve ridden the latter but not elephant man – more from lack of direction then a particular desire to ride one over the other!

As I remember there’s another line off to the side of Y2K with a sort of rocky chute with an awkward drop at the bottom that I haven’t ridden yet?

Premier Icon Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I was hoping to hit the new trail that starts off the back of the hump on Saturday, but I guess that’s out now.

Not new, it’s been there over 6 months, and has actually bedded in now. It won’t be there for long though, Forestry don’t like it – so if you’re planning on riding it, make it sooner rather than later…

I thought Y2K was a red ‘enduro trail’ on the outskirts of the centre and elephant man was a black ‘enduro trail’? So elephant man should be more difficult than Y2K?

I don’t really ride either, but would say Y2K is harder than Elephant Man, which is just rough, with some ropey old tables at the top, and some small, ropey gaps mid trail, all of which have long since passed their best before date – I don’t think there is a single lip left on the entire trail 😆

Mind you with Forestry’s adversity to anything that resembles an actual gap, I’m amazed it hasn’t been totally sanitized.

Premier Icon doomanic

It’s “new” relative to the other trails that start there. I’ve ridden it quite a few times and like it a lot. What don’t the forestry like about it?

Premier Icon SirHC

Mind you with Forestry’s adversity to anything that resembles an actual gap, I’m amazed it hasn’t been totally sanitized.

Are the forestry blindfolded when they walk past GBU 😆

What don’t the forestry like about it?

Not sanctioned, they have a dislike to anything progressive and new. They need some lessons from their Scottish colleagues.

Premier Icon Hob-Nob
    Free Member

What don’t the forestry like about it?

Not built by DTV? We didn’t fill in a H&S questionnaire before we started? 😆

Actually although partly in jest, it’s got an actual (small) step down in it you can’t roll & it technically joins & splits of Y2K, which they really don’t like.

It’s the same reason why Nightshift got culled recently (the one that went right off the start of Elephant Man), because people could get ‘confused’ and ride down an illegal trail.

I’d argue they should have adopted that & flattened Elephant Man, but hey, best not to poke the bear 🙂

Premier Icon remedyflyer
    Free Member

Y2k is good trail and the ones by it well hammered now if you want steep stuff go over to mallards pike they are much harder than Y2k/Ele man.

Premier Icon argee

Elephant Man is a safe one for an enduro, enjoy it more than Y2K, but i do prefer flow over tech and EM flows better, it’s not that rough compared to other stuff like corkscrew or ski run, and is pretty quick to get top to bottom.

Premier Icon argee

remedyflyer
    Free Member
    Y2k is good trail and the ones by it well hammered now if you want steep stuff go over to mallards pike they are much harder than Y2k/Ele man.

It’s not that bad just now, think some work has been getting done on it, they’ve also put an alternative Y2K line down that joins near the bottom, it starts just to the right of the starting chute, it’s a rocky descent with a drop at the bottom, then a flow bit with some jumps.

Mallards stuff is probably much the same, Blackpool Fly Up, Heckler, etc all have similar stuff.

Premier Icon weeksy

What i want or what we want doesn’t really come into the discussion, the course is what the course is 🙂 So we ride the course we’re given. 🙂

Premier Icon johnjn2000

I notice that there is a littler pick going on at 10am on Sat which I am going to try and get to if I can. Not racing on the Sunday as anything that doesn’t have a ‘FUN’ category is too scary for me, but I will take the BIRD (Best bikes ever Weeksy) for a spin on Sat some time.

Premier Icon weeksy

@johnjn2000

I will take the BIRD (Best bikes ever Weeksy)

Say hello mate if you see us, we’re more than up for a natter.

Premier Icon johnjn2000

@weeksy Will do, make sure you put a red carnation in your lapel for ID purposes

Premier Icon weeksy

Oh FFS. The boy has done his ribs in practice time tonight. Looped a manual over some whoops.

Game over

Premier Icon Tracey

Oh dear, that’s not good. Hope he mends soon.

After two weeks of visits to the hospital they finally rang late on Wednesday night to tell her they were going to operate on her leg. Went in yesterday and just got back home. She is going to have a nice scar.

Premier Icon weeksy

Ouchie !!!

Can we send chocolates/flowers/anything ?

Premier Icon weeksy

He listened to wisdom and instead of driving to FoD he’s tucked up at home chilling.

Will we make Milland, I honestly don’t know.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.