Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Flyup 417 to Birdlip
  • Gilles

Hello,

Thinking of going to Flyup 417 but i do like the tracks near Birdlip (Cranham for example). Is it easy to re-join Birdlip from the top of the bike park?

Thanks

monkeyboyjc

@gilles You need to follow the public footpath by the uplift dropoff  up towards Barrow wake? Car park (the famous dogging one), it’s then easy enough to follow the paths through to the Royal George pub in Birdlip and on to Cranham.

Be aware though many of the tracks up at the top near Birdlip called ‘the steeps’ have been removed by the landowner and are on private land being used for Pheasants now. The official cranham common route that follows buckholt road down to painswick road is still in use and ridable.

Speeder

Be aware though many of the tracks up at the top near Birdlip called ‘the steeps’ have been removed by the landowner

@monkeyboyjc
    I don’t know the names of anything up there – do you mean the stuff off to the right that drops to the bottom fire road? Not bene up there since earlier in the summer but they were running great – be a shame if they’ve been cut off. (if understandable given how dodgy they could be for the unaware)

Not sure how or why you’d want to combine riding at 417 with Cranham though – if I pay to ride somewhere I’d want to get my money’s worth ;o)

monkeyboyjc

I don’t know the names of anything up there – do you mean the stuff off to the right that drops to the bottom fire road?

Yes the tracks off to the right (going from Birdlip) of the main permitted route that’s parallel to the B4070 and a few of the upper ones parallel to buckholt road that would take you down towards the Cotswold way.

The small section of flat track on the other side of the B4070, which has a couple of little bomb holes is also a no go now – new owners have taken it on and are enforcing some sort of European forestry protection order so no bikes or horses unless on the very short section of bridleway. I know the owners whilst they are trying to protect the woodland, initially with signs last year, they have now started to obstruct the trails through there with what could be considered traps (although they don’t see it that way). Law suit waiting to happen imo.

Speeder

monkeyboyjc
    Lawsuit waiting to happen imo.

Odd behaviour from a lawyer (assuming this is the notorious Tysons)

Such a shame- that area was one of the easy access riding areas which prompted me to move to Cheltenham nearly 20 years ago and I have friend that have ridden in those woods all their lives. One can only hope they won’t be around for long.

monkeyboyjc

assuming this is the notorious Tysons

Nope different family, very local to the woods. Drove past earlier and they have put up big red no trespassing/ private property signs high on the trees. They are also very keen to keep the horse riders off the footpath that goes along the back of the land (and goes over the road towards cranham).

The permissive trails through and down to cranham common are still very much allowed and used. It’s just that the adjoining bits of land are owned by different people.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.