Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Flying with a ebike
  • swan0mighty
    Free Member

Has anyone travelled by plane with a ebike?

I have done some research but it seems you are unable to travel with the battery

Has anyone successful traveled with an ebike or know the cost of shipping the battery internationally?

monkeyboyjc

You’ll also find issues shipping the battery…. Unless your  emigrating with it, I’d look into either other modes of transport or renting on arrival (full bike or battery).

andyrm
    Free Member

Bikeflights.com now have the ability to fly ebikes. Not sure on pricing but saw something online about it. Might be worth checking?

swan0mighty
    Free Member

I am emigrating and trying to weigh up between selling and buying new battery, selling and buying new bike or posting battery

Thanks for the link but they only ship ebikes within the US and don’t ship battery separate

andrewh
    Free Member

Battery in hand luggage?
    When I’ve flown I’ve had lots of little batteries in hand luggage no problem, many lights (24hr racer) GPS laptop etc, no issues.
    Is it just checked baggage you can’t have a big battery?

markgraylish
    Free Member

I am emigrating….

Thought about the implications on warranty? Is the existing warranty worldwide?

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

It’s an eBike – cycle to your destination!

imnotverygood

Think you’d struggle to get an e-bike battery through security as hand luggage. Apart from anything else they might view it as a potential weapon to clobber people with.

rickmeister

Will it go by land without a problem instead of by air? Where are you emigrating to and from?

Plan B sell the battery-emigrate-buy new battery?

dovebiker

You are limited by the capacity of rechargeable cells you can hand carry. There’s no way you’ll get an e-bike battery as hand luggage as they’re easy to dead-short and create an incendiary device (if you were so inclined).

jameso

We air freight e-bike samples by separating the bike and battery, the battery needs to go on a separate consignment with MDS etc as hazardous goods.

lardman
    Free Member

there is a limit to the capacity of cells you can fly with. I sometimes fly with large broadcast camera batteries and we only buy the ones under the capacity, which are numerous and not very long lasting. I believe its 100watt/hr? Although check that.

I’d have thought most e-bike batts are well over that>

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Flying with a ebike’ is closed to new replies.