Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Flying with a buggy
  • Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Flew last year but there was a buggy provided where we stayed.

This year (end of August) we need to take ours – it's not the smallest – an Out N About Nipper – but it's fairly light.

Should we buy a bag to protect/hold it? Out N About make on specifically for it. Or will it be fine?

Flying with BMI (I think) from Exeter.

Cheers STW tomes of all knowledge!

Hohum
    Free Member

As a father of 3 we are fairly regular flyers with buggies 😉

Don't worry about the bag and don't check the buggy in at check-in, keep your wee-un in it.

You are allowed to take your buggy right up to the departure gate and then fold it up before you get on the plane and then the handlers deal with it.

One good thing about flying with a wee-un is that you get called first and can avoid the crush.

Have fun on holiday 🙂

akira

Agreed, just take it to the plane and don't bother with bag. Kids will do much worse to it anyway.

Hohum
    Free Member

Got to love Out N About's Marketing department for pushing an airplane buggy bag on first time parents!

As akira said your wee-un will make far more mess of it over time than the baggage handlers 😉

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Cheers all – he's almost 2 now but we've got another on the way (due Feb). Our my3 which had been fine has suddenly decided to becoming a creaking, wobbly, puncture prone PITA. Okay for very young ones still but cr4p for a 14kg 22 month old! It also has the worst wheels and tyres on any moving vehicle ever made.

clubber
    Free Member

Never used a bag and haven't ever seen one used by anyone else.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

And another question – anyone made their buggy tyres tubeless? Wouldn't work on the my3 but I reckon it could be a goer on this one.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Don't check your buggy in at the desk, as others have said above, if the line for passport control/security in long you'll wanna strap the rug rat in the chair… mind it's a PITA when you do reach the scanners.

On your tubeless thoughts…. Bugaboos' (SP) big wheels are full with gel these day. Because the UK market (they are made in Holland) couldn't fix the wheels when punctured.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Ah so you chose the buggy I recommended then Mat? 🙂

Would be interested if anyone can comment on anti-puncture solutions for this buggy though – something I have been wondering about.

Mat – how about a cheapo BBQ cover and some bungee straps? Will be much cheaper than a 'proper' bag.

MrNutt
    Free Member

will a buggy take off if its on a conveyor belt?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

mf – I did thank you on that other thread but guess you missed it?!

Went and bought it the very next day – SO much stronger than the my3 with proper wheels and even a QR for the front! Will keep the my3 for baby no.2 (still fine as a cot/car seat carrier, etc) but this is the buggy of choice.

Oddly I went looking for something with proper metal spoked wheels and very little fitted the bill – even Bugaboos and Phil and Teds (and early favourite) have plasticky wheels. Mountain Buggys are just too bulky – this is light but strong and you can even run with it. Cheap at £230 too!

Might get my bike mechanic to come up with a solution if I get a flat – luckily you can run the tyres are 35+PSi. Most others max at low 20s.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Ahh yes so you did 😀 I must say we are very pleased with ours too – we would have got one from newborn but my wife wanted a travel system so we went for something else initially.

But now the girls are about to go in their +1 car seats we can mothball that one and finally get rid of the roofrack too (needed for all the extras (carrycots etc) as the Nipper is definitely the weapon of choice now.

As you say – very light, simple and easy to use.

NOW

THEN

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

MF – must be tricky with two?!

I know your old one is a "posh" one but it still has that silly ovalised weak ar5e tubing – I like the "proper" tubing on the Out N About -so much better. Is the old one still solid? We're on our 2nd chassis (kept getting flats – instead of replacing the tyres/wheels, the replaces the whole thing – madness!) and it's very creaky now. The tyres aren't round, the wheels are made from dreadful plastic and the inner tubes are a complete joke.

The guy we got this one from also hires them out – he reckoned they were the most reliable buggies he's ever had. Cool!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

It can have it's moments (ie Izzi was crying last night, woke Evie then we were up for a while getting them back off – but they have just had 1yr injections so they are a little under the weather), but generally we have been lucky and within seconds of any hassle dying down it is forgotten as they are just wonderful and very playful.

That first one is very solid to be fair – German-made and pretty bomb-proof after a year of pretty constant use swapping from carrycots to car seats to the sports seats above, chucked in and out of various cars and some light off-roading.

But the Nipper is a breeze to push and control by comparison.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Literally just got this – my wife has decided to ditch the Nipper as she has found something better…

😆

beamers

Is there a buggy size limit for planes?

I.e. if we arrived at the gate with our charriot (which folds flat but not sideways if that makes sense) would they still be OK with it?

I'm assuming the would be.

I'm also assuming that turning up with a shopping trolly might cause an issue! Nice pic.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I assume there isn't a limit (thinking bikes/snowboards etc) but I am sure RyanScare will have found a way of charging for them.

Travis

We've just taken our stroller to the UK. As it's very big it had to go in the oversized part. BA, wrapped the stroller for us, then took we took it oversize, and we weren't charged a penny, (or jiao, depending on the way you look at it)

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Flying with a buggy’ is closed to new replies.