Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Flying to Southern Spain – Malaga or Gibraltar?
  • BigJohn

We’ve decided a few days in Tarifa for the windsurfing, biking sun and lifestyle would be a good thing. Planning to go in 3 weeks time.
    We often fly into Gibraltar, walk over the border into Spain, pick up a hire car in La Línea and it’s only a short drive. Malaga’s another 90 minutes drive.
    But with both Brexit and Covid, does anybody know if crossing into and out of Spain is going to add so much hassle that it makes the longer drive worth it?

BigJohn

*Takes off cloak of invisibility*

TiRed

Planning the same for Tuesday for Son 2 to got to Jerez. Into Spain from Gibraltar looks easy, Car hire is not such an issue since the airport is on the border. The cars could actually be in Spain. Test required to fly back.

tuboflard

Done both. Gibraltar definitely a touch easier and obviously closer. Only hassle was having to carry all my kiting gear on foot through the border control at Gibraltar to the car hire place.

That said the drive from Malaga is painless as it’s all motorway or main roads. Only one pinch point from memory.

Love Tarifa by the way, I’m guessing you’ve been before?

BigJohn

Oh, yes. Most years since 2002. And arriving from Malaga, Gib and Cadiz. But it’s specifically the border hassle at Gibraltar in the current (insert appropriate profanity) that I’m wondering. I remember the glory days when it took 4 hours to cross.
    If Boris gave the Malvinas back it might change matters.

tuboflard

Can’t really offer much help then on current border crossing challenges. All I can say though is enjoy Tarifa, Vaca Loca steaks are worth the trip alone (almost!).

matt10214
    Free Member

I’m flying into Malaga tomorrow for the first time since ******* Brexit & Covid but heading east to Velez/Vinuela. At the moment it seems pretty painless, hope i’m not eating my words this time tomorrow though.

BigJohn

Make sure you update on what you had to show to get in (if you did)

matt10214
    Free Member

@BigJohn it takes around 30 minutes more coming through Malaga, you will need a locator form plus proof of both vaccinations but other than that it’s quite hassle free. It’s took us seven hours from just outside Sheffield to Vinuela so not bad at all!

Now sat having a cold Cruzcampo, enjoy your holiday!

BigJohn

That’s great to know thanks. Flight times are better for Malaga so we’ve booked those. Enjoy the Cervesa.

matt10214
    Free Member

@BigJohn don’t know if you’re back yet, if not give yourself plenty of time to pass through Malaga on the way back, arrived at 9am this morning and very nearly missed an 11:15am flight home.

People pushing through Passport Control queues, nobody knowing what documents to have at hand etc.

BigJohn

Thanks Matt. I’ll bear that in mind for next Wednesday. Ryanair suggest 2.5 hours before, we booked the express security without expecting it to be any use, so we’ll arrive early.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Flying to Southern Spain – Malaga or Gibraltar?’ is closed to new replies.