Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Flying to New Zealand from Manchester bike bag help!
  • emmsbikes
    Free Member

I’m looking at going to New Zealand after the summer but a bit stuck with who is best to fly with… The baggage allowances and rules all seem to be in a certain language that is a bit difficult to decipher.

I think AirNZ is going to be our best bet… We will be flying with 2 bike bags, 2 carry on and 1 check-in bag.

But it’d be nice to try and get some cheaper flights if anyone has any experience?

Also what travel and bike insurance have people used? We’re going for 24 months so no idea if we need it or what really!

Any help is massively appreciated 🙂

geuben
    Free Member

We used https://www.alphatravelinsurance.co.uk/ for our 2 year stay in NZ. Struggled to find anyone else to cover us for that long a trip and for the type of activities we would be doing. We never needed it so no idea if they were actually any good.

As for bikes I shipped mine out on slow boat and then shipped it back freight. Trying to figure out the baggage allowance across multiple airlines was a nightmare as we went to Bali for a week on the way there and Australia on the way back.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

No idea about bikes, but kayaks.
    Flew with Singapore/airNZ years ago. Got told my luggage allowance was pretty low so I arranged a hire boat in NZ.
    When I got to the airport they said I had 32kg and that a kayak would be free, no problem.

On the end I didn’t have time to go home and repack,

Try Singapore and persevere finding out about sports equipment

emmsbikes
    Free Member

Singapore Airlines are part of AirNZ so will probably be okay.

Thanks for the help 🙂

5lab

if you’re going for 2 years (and thus not desperate for the bags on day 1) have you thought about shipping them instead? much less hassle at the airports, probably a bunch cheaper

rick@twelve50bikes

I flew with Emirates taking two bikes to NZ a couple of years back without any problems. I seem to think thee was a bit of a surcharge but not much. Took them in Evoc bike bags. No problem with the size

ratherbeintobago

From a bio security POV what’s the score with taking bikes into NZ?

hels
    Free Member

Re biosecurity, the bike has to be so clean you could eat off it. New tires are a good idea. If they aren’t happy they will impound it for steam cleaning – which can take weeks – and charge you.

I have taken a bike to NZ many times, my advice is that you declare it and join the line to have it inspected.

hels
    Free Member

Since when are Singapore airlines part of Air NZ ?

rick@twelve50bikes

Clean it. And then clean it again. Inside steerer tube, back of fork brace, the lot. Tyres in particular need to be spotless. They are really strict and pretty thorough. Same goes for any riding or walking shoes as we were checked both times we’ve been.

corroded
    Free Member

If you’re going for the long definitely check out shipping (I put my bike in a container to get back from Oz). At least it will free up airline baggage for other stuff. But if intent on flying, check out the max baggage allowance vs cost of buying an extra bag. For example, Qantas and Emirates are 30kg which is plenty for bike plus kit for a couple of weeks – however extra kgs are extortionate. Whereas I think Air NZ is 23kg but another 23kg is pretty reasonable. Downside of Air NZ is that they go via USA and I wouldn’t wish US immigration on anybody. I think they may be shuttering the LA route later this year so see if they’re going via somewhere other than US.

simon_g

Air NZ and Singapore are both part of Star Alliance. That London-LA-Auckland route is stopping in October, Air NZ will only do NYC-Auckland, nothing to London. There’s a few routes via China now which are cheaper.

Worth looking at shipping bikes out if you have the time. Although for 2 years worth looking at just selling what you have and buying out there. Saves all the cleaning faff, risk of damage, etc. Most stuff is comparable prices, things like Giant can be a bit cheaper.

bgascoyne
    Free Member

It will depend on your final destination within NZ. If Auckland is the end point then you have more flight options to choose from. If you need to fly to somewhere else then AirNZ is the best bet because if one of your flights is late they will put you on the next domestic one. If you book domestic one a sep ticket then you are stuck if a flight is late…and also the luggage allowance might be different. I think Qantus has code share with Jetstar within NZ as well

There is a flight via Shanghai from HR. First leg is on Virgin then on AirNZ (I have just done it a month ago). Not sure on Virgins policy on bikes etc but it might be better and you might be able to book via Virgin and get their allowance rates? Worth checking.

It used to be that flying via the US gave you way more allowance but that is no longer the situation and going via the US is a ballache anyway.

arogers
    Free Member

I live in NZ and fly back and forth with a bike fairly regularly. I would recommend flying Emirates. Not just because they’re bike friendly but their A380 has the nicest economy on offer for that route and flying via Dubai is the least hassle IMO. They also fly from lots of airports in the UK and also to Christchurch and Auckland at this end. Bikes count as part of your standard baggage allowance, which is usually 30kg (though this varies with your ticket, so double check at time of booking). If you are tight on weight then pack your bike (well) in a cardboard bike box – much lighter than an EVOC or similar and just as much protection. If you want to bring lots of stuff on the plane then look at business class deals as they can make sense in that situation. Do clean the bikes very well. If you need to connect to a regional flight once you’re here then the max weight of any bag is 23kg. They’re strict on this. Oh, and, if at all possible, don’t fly out of Manchester! Security there are almost guaranteed to make you unpack the bikes and will probably steal some of your stuff. Really. They’re awful.

Lastly, on the insurance front, you will be covered for medical treatment by NZ’s ACC system for any accident you might have here. Other medical and possessions etc obviously not covered. I used to use Insure and Go’s annual policy, though they do stipulate that you can’t be in one country for more than 4 months, I think. Thankfully I didn’t ever have to test how strict they were on that. Realistically, I think you will struggle to find any travel insurance that will cover you fully for 2 years and not be extortionate.

If you want any other advice feel free to get in touch. I’m happy to point you in the direction of the best trails once you’re here!

emmsbikes
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies!

I think AirNZ is our best bet. It’s £130 for an extra 23kg bag, so we’d get 2 bikes and 1 120L duffel through I think! Whereas Emirates will charge us an extra 50USD per kilo over our 30kg baggage allowances.

We had a look at shipping it but we’ve no final destination and won’t do for a while so it would be a fussier option we think.

AirNZ don’t fly through America anymore which saves that hassle.

Luckily we’ll be fitting new tyres before we go after a busy summer traveling and riding.

Unfortunately we have to have travel insurance with our visa, I’ve found one for £500 odd with holidaysafe, who I’ve used before, and they’ll do an annual long stay trip. Just need to email them and check it will definitely cover us.

I’ve flown with a bike bag and a box before. I had to take the box apart and faff so much with that at Geneva where as the bag was so much simpler. After that, I prefer bags anyday.

Manchester is our local airport, and I know to add an extra hour or two to arrival time when flying with bikes or skis! Never had anything taken though 🤔

Thanks for all the advice! It’s been super helpful 🙌

Kahurangi

Flying with your bike is much cheaper, quicker, and more reliable than shipping them.

Have a look at Bikmo for insurance (I’m no longer a customer so no referral fees here thanks). They were good with extended trips around the place.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

An extra two hours travelling with skis through Manchester?

Blummin heck.

I think we’ve taken skis out through MAN perhaps thirty times. No problems at all. 15 mins extra, tops.

The new car parking /dropoff on the other hand….. 🥵😩😫😈👿

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Flying to New Zealand from Manchester bike bag help!’ is closed to new replies.