Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 109 total)
  • Flying first class
  • jambalaya
    Free Member

First vs Business is something like £5k vs £3.5k transatlantic and the extra is hard (impossible?) to justify. On longer flights Business vs Premium Econony / Economy is well worth it if 1) you have the money or 2) work is paying.

DezB
    Free Member

One of the best things, obviously, is going for a walk down the plane and seeing all the cattleclass travellers squidged together in their tiny seats.
    Not much else makes you feel quite so good.

whitestone
    Free Member

I got upgraded from business to first class once when flying back from the Middle East – I was working for a major oil company at the time – unfortunately it was only the short leg of the overall journey. Can’t remember the reason why we were upgraded, I think it was because the airline messed up with the seat reservation/booking.

I don’t fly that much these days and rarely long distance so not sure whether I’d go for it even if I could afford it.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

DezB, you went crop dusting, didn’t you?

DezB
    Free Member

crop dusting

and that’s a euphemism for.. ? 😯

footflaps

But I’d pay anything to avoid baggage collection at Gatwick!

Don’t think I’ve ever flown business and used hold luggage, just take it all as hand luggage. No issue with over crowded over-head bins in business / first.

perchypanther
    Free Member

and that’s a euphemism for.. ?

#driveby

BigDummy
    Free Member

I’ve been doing rather a lot of 24 – 30 hour journeys this year. That’s pretty brutal in cattle class with no lounge in the lay-overs. I would definitely go business or first if I could sensibly afford it.

🙂

5lab

Don’t think I’ve ever flown business and used hold luggage, just take it all as hand luggage. No issue with over crowded over-head bins in business / first.

business class (often) has enough luggage to take your bike with you for free (certainly does on both BA and Virgin). Which makes work-based trips which are day-trippable to Sedona and Flagstaff much more enjoyable. Might be tricky taking that in carry-on 🙂

twiglet_monster
    Free Member

Flew business on Emirates A380 to Singapore in March with work.

Got in at 11pm after 17 hour journey, then presenting to the Customer at 0900 the next day. Very grateful for the extra comfort as a result.

Its really very, very pleasant. Some fabulous food – a quite delicious chicken biryani, amongst lots of highlights. Emirates Firts has the onboard shower, a bigger telly and a private “cabin” as per that vid linked above.

Not sure I’d ever pay for it with my own money – especially as Emirates economy is pretty good.

TM

molgrips
    Free Member

business class (often) has enough luggage to take your bike with you for free

Most proper airlines do this tbh. I’ve done it many times for free.

footflaps

Might be tricky taking that in carry-on

Fold up bike 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

business class (often) has enough luggage to take your bike with you for free

Most proper airlines do this tbh. I’ve done it many times for free.[/quote]

Not any more, most of them are putting it down as part of the allowance now.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’ve never flown 1st class and probably never will, however I do sometimes travel Business Class on long haul flights (although never when I’ve been paying!) and that is indeed nice. In fact the likes of Ethihad or Emirates are nice enough in Business Class I’d struggle to see how the big jump in price to a 1st class ticket could be justified.

molgrips
    Free Member

Not any more, most of them are putting it down as part of the allowance now.

Oh I see, you meant in addition to your allowance.

donald
    Free Member

I once had a whole airliner to myself. I can’t remember how I got a ticket but it was the last charter flight of the season going out empty to Geneva to pick up returning skiers. It wasn’t first class by any means but I did feel a bit special.

footflaps

During the SARS outbreak in 2003 (?) we flew to China with work, had a whole plane between about 7 of us. Could lie acorss an entire row of seats and go to sleep.

freeagent
    Free Member

which companies fly their staff in 1st class? where should I send my CV?

We can fly business for intercontinental travel (which I’ve not done yet) and if you do more than 3 long-haul flights in a 12 month period you can fly business on all future flights if the flight is over 8 hours.
    Frequent fliers have been upgraded to first on occasion, and have all said they’d 100% do it for their own travel if money were no object.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

1st class = XTR

Only offered to make the “lesser” product look affordable.

newrobdob
    Free Member

Just thinking, when I go on hols I like to sit and chat to my wife – are all the first class seats individual pods???

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Just thinking, when I go on hols I like to sit and chat to my wife – are all the first class seats individual pods???

It varies. Some, such as BA, let you eat together at a dining table for example. Some are more ‘sociable’ in terms of seat layout, like Air France, or Lufthansa. Some are very cocoon like, though.

Privacy is important for more premium cabin fliers, so that’s why they’re designed that way.

GrahamS

I suppose it is all relative. When you get the to level of Saudi prince, the main section is just an extension of the luggage hold:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/saudi-prince-buys-plane-tickets-for-80-hawks/

edlong
    Free Member

We flew first class once. It was on Garuda though so it may not quite compare.

poolman
    Free Member

Having flown monarch the other day manchester – alicante i would pay to be segregated from the stag and hen parties. Tbh at 50 quid door to door you get what you pay for.

Top tip, avoid thursday afternoon travel to any feeder airports to party resorts, nightmare, hens are worse than the guys.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

edlong – Member
    We flew first class once. It was on Garuda though so it may not quite compare.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2016/12/30/garuda-indonesia-first-class-review/

Apparently very, very good these days! And they serve my favourite rosé champagne, too!

mikeyp

First class is mental money. There are a lot of people who have mental amounts of money.
    I personally love the fact that you can fly 12000 miles for less than £1000 and they feed you.

gobuchul
    Free Member

There are very few airlines that have First Class nowadays.

Most only have Business.

I have never flown First but done a fair bit of business, the best was a Singapore Airlines A380, the seat turned into a 3/4 sized bed. The cabin was almost empty as well.

How good the First on that thing must have been!

Due to the state of my industry, it’s hard turning right on the plane nowadays.

Kryton57

Premium seats up-top are the best middle ground.

Big leather chair, more space, free G&T, knife & fork and you only share toilets with 20 people max.

Houns

Flew Virgin upper class to Sydney via Hong Kong and back a few years ago for NYE… All for free thanks to an ex who worked the flight (Her name was Louise, she turned to be mental) beds weren’t too comfy, but ‘spose can’t complain

Kryton57

Her name was Louise

😯

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

There are very few airlines that have First Class nowadays.

Apart from BA, Cathay, Air France, Emirates, Singapore, American, Etihad, ANA, Qantas, Qatar, Garuda, Malaysian, Swiss, Etc. Yeah, apart from them.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Yeah, apart from them.

The majority of long haul aircraft are 2 cabin configurations.

eltonerino
    Free Member

JAL cattle class is great. Loads of space, good food, plenty to drink, kids have plenty of entertainment too.

Finnair cattle class? Get me the stun gun, please. Long haul had no leg room, the food was… Um, foodish. Kicked in the back the whole way. Could smell what the couple in front were doing under the blanket. They also reckoned so far back you couldn’t get anything off the floor and had to make them move to go for a pee. People picking their toes and their noses all around. Urgh. My eldest was also travel sick for the first time on a plane, so we added to the aroma too.

Short haul was fine though. Twice the leg room…

fifeandy
    Free Member

Never done business/first, and in the real world i never would.

If i had an 8 figure bank balance on the other hand, there’d be no hesitation.

matt_outandabout

Can myself and mrs_oab go first with the kids in the hold cattle?

tang
    Free Member

Certain family members would travel 1st while the nanny would travel cattle with the kids. They would be allowed a visit, once! Nice.

finbar
    Free Member

civil service rules used to be another over 4hrs was business. Not sure if that’s still the case.

It’s not. Maybe if it’s a night flight and you’re accompanying a minister.

sweaman2
    Free Member

Can myself and mrs_oab go first with the kids in the hold cattle?

On one flight a couple of years ago Sweajnr, Sweamrs and I were all travelling together in Premium Economy but I was on a separate ticket to sweamrs and sweajnr.

At the gate I was delighted to learn that I’d been upgraded to business 😯 but decided to turn them down to avoid marital strife. 🙁

For my own flights I fly premium economy as I think it’s worth it especially when I’m also juggling a toddler and then hiring cars etc. The extra rest / relaxation is worth it.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

My stepdaughter & her bloke are off to Jamaica this year. Dave is an expert at flights & booked some with BA for 3.5K return for them both, (dunno what class that was,) but he went to upgrade & paid £35 more to go 1st class! Some glitch or another was involved & Dave noticed it, I think it shouldv’e been another 3.5K. The ****.

tomhoward

I’ve flown business (BA) a few times, paid for from my own pocket (with money, not airmiles or anything), and absolutely would again. 6foot beds alone are worth it on a 9hr+ flight

The whole experience of flying, from the moment you arrive at the airport, is miles better (I like flying/planes, despise airports).

Not sure I’d pay the extra for first, yes you get nicer wines and food, a nicer, more luxurious lounge, but I’m not sure that means that much to me, over business.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘Flying first class’ is closed to new replies.