Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • fluorescent yellow or not for road riding? is it 'safer'?
  • Vortexracing

Still undecided on what to get as a waterproof for commuting. (colour wise)

Is it a fact that fluorescent is safer than any other colours?

It's just that the Montane velocity is anothet £20 for a fluorescent one.

opinions please (probably divided I guess)

Ta

Dave

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Better to be seen too much than too little!

trail_rat
    Free Member

what other colour options ?

Red seems to work well

blue doesnt seem to work well in the rain

igm

Safety gear for workmen on the road is always fluo and generally though not always yellow.
    A lot of people who know what they're talking about made that decision, so it's good enough for me.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

As a driver I can't say much clothing stands out against a backdrop of car lights. Lights, lights and more lights and make sure your batteries are fresh. See too many folks with LED lights that may be flashing but need new batteries.

wonnyj
    Free Member

I'm definitely getting a fluro yellow one for commuting this winter.

Basically since becoming a regular driver i've realised that the only cyclists i spot early are the ones wearing bright yellow.

Bright orange might work as well (like the roadworkers pointed out bove).

aracer
    Free Member

I can't say much clothing stands out against a backdrop of car lights

Well with flouro colours we're talking about being visible when cars haven't got their lights on – in the dark there's no substitute for reflective stuff (hence why workers safety gear has both). Not even having your own bright lights beats reflecting the car's own lights back at them with something retro-reflective.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I seem to remember that yellow is better in the dark and orange fluro is better in the clag (from motorbike training).

will1
    Free Member

There seems to be so many people wearing flouro stuff nowadays due to h&s that it just tends to blend in!!!!

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I'm thinking more of when as a driver you are pulling out and can't see cyclists as they are in front of cars with their headlights on. The most effective way to be visible then is a flashing LED. Reflectors on pedals really stand out, as would something reflective on shoes or legs I suppose. I just think its important to check those batteries, people don't seem to realise that LED's fade when the batteries are nearly dead.

Vortexracing

Already have a reflective band around my ankle and multiple led's both flashing and non flashing. I agree with the 'can't have too many lights'

It would appear that in the daylight the yellow is better but at night it's the reflective stuff and lights that work, hence the altura night vision stuff is black with reflective bits.

theboatman
    Free Member

I wear one of these shameful items over my normal clobber –
    http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/27/rcn905/nitezone-courier-reflective-vest.html

Northwind

The most important thing for night riding is good retroreflectives- and not the "slightly shiny" yellow rubbish you get on most bike-specific stuff, you want 3M or similiar, and as much of it as possible. All in all, what you generally want is a dirt-cheap worky's vest… Or if you wear a rucksack, a full jacket. These are lightweight and use a very open fabric, perfect really. But there's not any waterproofs etc that I've seen that come close to their visibility.

langy
    Free Member

Get a waterproof to stay dry – colour etc doesn't really matter.

heaps of reflective tape and blinky lights in the dark. Come daylight, there really is no excuse for drivers not seeing you (I know, that is no help if you get squished etc!) and flouro yellow doesn't really stand out to be honest anymore than any other bright colour – 'normal' yellow, orange, red, 'bright' green, etc

my tuppence…

epicsteve
    Free Member

I use one of the yellow Altura Night Vision's. When I'm driving I find it a lot easier to see people with jackets like these, especially when they don't have lights on, which is good enough for me.

rootes1

can't do any harm, though reckon bright orange is better than the commuter uniform of fluro yellow

I_Ache
    Free Member

I'm thinking that I'm going to get a black Altura Night Vision as I have 3 lights (5 LEDs total) and have even left on the rear reflector I dont want to look like a power ranger by going for the yellow and it also means I can wear my commuting jacket on the MTB.

FWIW My lights will probably be arranged in a triangle with a small one of each of the seat stays and the big one on the seatpost just below the reflector this coupled with this level of reflection should get me seen. Oh and a Hope 2 LED on the front.

I'm doing my first dark commute on Wednesday down mainly country lanes that at 4:30am are normally pretty quiet.

juan
    Free Member

Can I had that even though day glow isn't the most fashionable item (specially from a girl point of view) it is much safer than black/grey or other trendy MTB colour.
    Another point to consider is the helmet. White with a small light on it is a mucho better 😀

pennine
    Free Member

Usually wear red in summer but switch to yellow/reflective for the dark. Driving up a 3 lane carriageway this morning I spotted a rider in yellow from a long way off. So did most other drivers who pulled out in time.

As already mentioned, the worse 'cyclists' are those with dim rear lights and dark clothes.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I used to have a 3M vest for motorbiking in winter, tried it on the mtb and it probably worked but looked a bit special needs. 20min stitching later and it was as close fitting as any race jersy, and as a result much less likely to be 'forgotten'

coffeeking
    Free Member

I never really find that clothing colour matters for visibility unless its fairly light anyway, but reflective (especially 3M Diamond grade stuff)is so reflective that even the slightest hint of light and you're visible from miles away.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ohh, and avoid orange, its almost invisible at dusk when the streetlamps haven't warmed up yet, especialy in the rain.

sofatester
    Free Member

So to summarise:

Florescent Yellow jacket
    Reflective 3M everywhere
    BRIGHT lights with back ups

Done.

juan
    Free Member

o to summarise:

Florescent Yellow jacket
    Reflective 3M everywhere
    BRIGHT lights with back ups
    And white helmet 😉

aracer
    Free Member

Reflective 3M everywhere

Especially on bits that move, like feet/ankles/pedals. A dozy idiotdriver's brain is far more likely to register things that are moving.

Vortexracing

cheers folks, looks like the extra £20 is is probably worth it for the fluorescent one.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Other alternative is to get the "cheaper" waterproof and maybe stick a mesh vest over the top? This one is £6 posted

http://hivizextras.co.uk/vests.html

There do a nice rucksack cover too. I've had loads of comments about mine from other commuters – I've got the more expensive Respro equivalent.

Vortexracing

I've got a yellow and orange respro cover, but TBH i'm trying to get away with a small bumbag rather than a rucksack, hence the thought of having some yellow on my upper body.

cheers for the link breatheeasy, a black jacket and one of those could work well and be £17 cheaper

ebygomm
    Free Member

You can buy 3m reflective tape. Stick it on crank arms, forks, bag etc.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

As mentioned above, movement is key. Ankles are a great place for some Scotchlite and a small (fixed beam) LED can also be very effective on the outer ankle, as it traces light up and down.

Other than that, contrasts are good, such as the yellow and orange contrast on the Respro Hump…

I've had loads of comments about mine from other commuters – I've got the more expensive Respro equivalent.

🙂 *Smug* 🙂

redx

Has anyone tried attaching the Respro I-Shots (http://www.respro.com/products/urban-commuting/hi-visibility/ishots/) to clothing? Thinking of sticking some of these to my shorts/trousers….

Cheers,

Alex

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I've got the more expensive Respro equivalent.

*smug*

Sorry, yes, that did come across slightly badly! I actually meant to say I'd not purchased said recommended rucksack cover, and I have bought the more expensive one before I realised there was a cheaper alternative.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

breatheasy, that wasn't what I meant! The Respro Hump was originally my idea, hence the smugness!

DezB
    Free Member

Has anyone tried attaching the Respro I-Shots (http://www.respro.com/products/urban-commuting/hi-visibility/ishots/) to clothing? Thinking of sticking some of these to my shorts/trousers….

Yes – got some of the chevron ones stuck on my backpack. But unfortunately, they are not wash proof – so it would work out pretty expensive to stick them on your shorts!

As far as colours go, I always wear red (hides the blood) – I was a passenger in my mate's car last week – he moved over to let a cyclist go past leading up to a roundabaout – this guy was wearing a nice yellow flouro jacket. As we turned left on the roundabout the cyclist was picking himself up off the floor after being sideswiped by a Peugeot. I've ridden the same roundabout countless times without a problem. How you ride makes the difference, not what colour you wear.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

LOL @ Capt'nFlashy.

I take it back, I wasn't smug, but applaud you on your own smugness 😆

Did you find with the Respro Hump that the reflective was on the top and thus not in drivers eyeline when you actually assume the riding position? I ended up fitting mine upside down.

StirlingCrispin

Has anyone tried attaching the Respro I-Shots"

I bought myself some Respro leg bands, cut them up and stuck them to my saddlebag with Evostick impact adhesive.
    That was five years ago…..

My latest trick is to loop some leg bands together and hang them off the saddlebag's right-hand pocket. Makes me appear a foot wider and encourages traffic to give me more room.

rootes1

<<It would appear that in the daylight the yellow is better but at night it's the reflective stuff and lights that work, hence the altura night vision stuff is black with reflective bits. >>

they also do that stuff in yellow as well so it is daylight and night visible – just don't see the point of their black version…

DezB
    Free Member

they also do that stuff in yellow as well so it is daylight and night visible – just don't see the point of their black version…

Really? Point is it looks a lot nicer. And it's very visible at night. Haven't got one myself, but used to see a chap riding in the opposite direction every day wearing one. Very visible he was.
    They also do it in red.

ChrisS
    Free Member

So what do people do about the changing weather? All these reflective waterproofs look great for cold wet evenings, but far too warm for mild dry evenings….

breatheeasy
    Free Member

That's the benefit of a mesh style reflective vest. Just chuck it on over whatever you feel you need to wear for the ride.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘fluorescent yellow or not for road riding? is it 'safer'?’ is closed to new replies.