• This topic has 20 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by will.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Flu + 1/2 Marathon
  • will
    Free Member

Basically for last 2 days I have been in bed with flu. Now today I did feel quite a bit better, but not 100%.

Got a half marathon on sunday up in Preston, questions is, should I do it?

I was going to do 4 or so miles tomorrow just to see how I feel.

Everybody is telling me not to do it though 🙁

ourmaninthenorth

It's unlikely you've had flu if you feel better after 2 days.

Run it and try not to think about sudden athlete death syndrome.

nonk
    Free Member

i wouldnt.

next 6 months with chronic fatigue?

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

If you had flu you would not be asking this question.

aracer
    Free Member

You've not had flu, but I still wouldn't do it – unless you're a serious runner and it's a target race you're aiming for a result in, what exactly is the point when there will be another half marathon along next week and the week after?

racefaceec90

i would definitely leave it until you are fully recovered,even if only so you dont keep blowing snotters out of your nose,every 5 metres.

stratobiker
    Free Member

Probably not a good idea to do it.

But if you do do it, and you're flying, it was probably bird flu! 😆

SB

mikeyd
    Free Member

I'd leave it!

I had more or less the same thing happen to me a couple of years ago (although I just felt rough), and I decided to run it at my usual pace… which resulted in me passing out at 9miles… then again 200m from the finish line (I didn't finish, which was a bit annoying).

5thElefant
    Free Member

I'd do it, but I'm an idiot.

I doubt it was flu mind, unless you're double hard.

MrNutt
    Free Member

you'll probably die.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Don't do it. There is a link between exercise when you have respiratory infections and sudden death.

Gentle exercise might be fine but pushing yourself – its simply not worth it.

colande
    Free Member

haha
    don't mean to poo poo your illness
    but flu would knock you out for ages
    only ever had flu once and man I was a state for a quite a while, hallucinations and everything 🙂

if you've trained for it, i'd give it a go,
    saying that i've foolishly run 1/2 marathons without training,
    wont ever do that again.

i think you'll be surprised what the boy can do/take,
    just make sure you drink plenty of fluids
    good luck if you do it

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Isn't it something like if it hurts from the neck up you will be okay if you go gently, if you ache all over don't do it! I'm sure I read that somewhere .. doesn't mean I have a clue what I'm talking about though. 😀

anonymouse
    Free Member

As others have said, if you're better after 2 days it probably wasn't the flu. As far as running's concerned you'll probably be alright if all of the remaining symptoms are above the neck. See how you feel on the day and, if you start but begin to suffer, don't be ashamed to drop out.

will
    Free Member

Well I went out for a brief 3 mile run this morning to see how it felt. It wasn't nice.

What ever I had, it made my legs achce, me be sick, and have a thumping headache. I agree it probably wasn't flu, however was flu like symptons, and was easier saying that 😆

I rang my mate up in Preston, and given that it would be a drive from Nottingham, I have sacked it off. Like people said, plenty more to do.

Peregrine
    Free Member

Wise move – i like to run but never with colds/flu.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Hey don't be phoning the Dr they'll diagnose swine flu! then you'll be quarantined for another 2 weeks or so and bored silly!!

will
    Free Member

😆 Thanks guys.

I was actually expecting a more stw answer, such as MTFU etc…

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Stop whining about your "man flu", MTFU and quit your moaning. 😆 does that make you feel better now?

stever
    Free Member

You're off the hook, it's cancelled anyway
    http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showthread.php?p=290864#post290864
    🙂

will
    Free Member

I just found out 😆

Was going to do it in a sub 1:10 as well 🙁 ah well, next time 😉

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Flu + 1/2 Marathon’ is closed to new replies.