Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Flower id?
  • AndyF1
    Free Member

I bought some mixed medow seeds and this one came up yesterday,any ideas all?

Bunnyhop

I have no idea, however what a pretty little thing.
    What sort of size is it?

anagallis_arvensis

Havent a clue but it sure as hell isnt found in any UK hay meadow.

muddy_bum
    Free Member

Looks like something from the magic roundabout.

flowerpower
    Free Member

Usually I like flower ID, and make my living buying and selling garden plants in the UK, but I don’t recognise that. The closest I would come is one of the miniture wild tulips (certainly not UK native – more like Himalayas). Hard to say without seeing the foliage, but they come in lots of colours and can have very thin strappy leaves… a bit like THIS but red!

I have found another image which almost matches yours – but the photographer just calls it red, yellow and black flower!

The photographer who took this shot is based in California more details HERE

muddy_bum
    Free Member

To show my google prowess it’s a Sparaxis Harlequin Flower

Cougar

Showing off my Google prowess, specifically it’s a Sparaxis Tricolor. “Harlequin” just seems to be another name for Sparaxis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparaxis

The plant is native to southern Africa. It is present in California and Australia as an introduced species after having escaped from garden cultivation.

http://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/index.php/Sparaxis

Sparaxis tricolor has orange scarlet flowers with a yellow center edged with black. It grows on damp clay and stony soils in renosterveld in the northwest Cape and blooms in spring. It is one of the species used in hybridizing.

anagallis_arvensis

Good work fellas, what else was in the meadow mix?

AndyF1
    Free Member

Wow..just back from cutting back the brambles and the collective knowledge came up with the awnswer. Good work indeed,i`ll see what else crops up from the meadow mix.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Flower id?’ is closed to new replies.