Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Florida, after the theme parks
  • notsospeedydaz
    Free Member

I’m off to florida next month big family holiday.
    Whats not to miss after I’ve been dragged round the theme parks by the kids?
    Got my eye on Daytona as nascar is on
    Thanks for any ideas

m0rk
    Free Member

KSC

Even if there isn’t a launch due, it’s worth a day

Also, Tampa has a nice zoo if you / your kids like that

jambalaya
    Free Member

As above Space Centre
    Everglades or Key’s but they are a long drive and not really a day trip
    When we used to go (many years ago when kids where little and Euro Disney wasn’t open 😳 ) we made sure we had nice accomodation so we could relax at villa / hotel on the park “off days”

Cougar

+1 for KSC, if you’re into that sort of thing (I am) it’s one of the most literally awesome places in the world. It’s a fair drive from the house of mouse, but well worth it.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Swimming with manatees on Crystal River is an experience and not expensive.

theotherjonv

ALL the theme parks?

Homepage

dabaldie
    Free Member

Head down to Tampa, but make a day of of it.
    Personally I think Busch gardens is the best theme park, but Clearwater a bit further down is an awesome warm sand beach with plenty going on. Its a fair drive but almost worth getting a motel room for one night to stay and do two days worth. Just watch some of the areas can be a bit dodgy in Tampa at night.

pyranha

The BA in-flight magazine when we flew to England last month (so I don’t know how current) had an article about a food road trip from Orlando to Miami. what are your, or everyone else’s, interests? Is your accommodation for the whole trip fixed, or can you make it a two centre or road trip – if you can get there, the Keys are marvellous. You’ll find info on airboats, swamp buggies in most hotels, villas etc

tonyg2003

Did the Everglades – sitting in front of a V8 airboat engine -on a work trip (so fortunately not theme parks) last November. Great experience.

The KSC would be the one for me.

midlifecrashes

The Dali museum is fantastic in St Petersburg, bit of a trek from Orlando, but I did it as a day off the parks, dropped mrsmidlife and the crashes at the gates of Busch gardens and had a half day at the Dali, and a couple of hours on St Pete’s beach as I’d never bathed in the gulf coast side before and wanted to tick that box, well worth it too, nearly as warm as my bath at home, with loads of clams, fish and pelicans swooping around you to scoop them up.

Also go tubing at Blue Spring state park oor one of the other springs/parks, amazing the amount of big fish and turtles you see while floating along.

Head for the Artegon shopping centre on International Drive, and go in the BassPro shop, huge huntinshootinfishin megastore, they call redneck disneyland.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I go to Florida several times a year. Was there last week.

My personal take on the best thing to do in Florida – Leave and go somewhere nicer. Like Montana. 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Florida, after the theme parks’ is closed to new replies.