Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Flocking.
  • leegee

I’m looking for some advice on flocking metal parts.

I know people do dashboards it gets used for decorative purposes but I want to use it on metal parts for outdoor gym equipment,

Is it likely to be durable enough? Does it get worn away by handling?

Cheers

charlielightamatch
    Free Member

I don’t think it’s meant for parts to be handled at all. Occasionally touched as in a dashboard but outside and being grabbed I don’t think it would last five minutes.
    Flocking was used on dashboards to reduce the sun shining off hard plastics for race cars, not for any durability reasons as far as I know.

leegee

Cheers, I’ll have to find another solution.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Powdercoat or hydrodip?

leegee

All of our parts are already powder coated, I’ve been asked to find something non slip for handlebars for a spinning bike, flocking was my first idea. Rubber coating blooms good but won’t be cheap.

globalti
    Free Member

Self-adhesive neoprene insulation tape as used by AC installers.

convert

Might be stupidly obvious, but handlebar tape?

scruff9252

How about heavy duty shrink wrap? Years ago I coated a spinnaker pole in stuff that must have been 1mm thick.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Definitely not flocking. Its really not hard wearing at all.

What about hard plastic grips such as those on wheel barrows etc? Our local park has some outdoor gym equipment in it and they all have those types of grips. Maybe look into someone who supplies parts for playgrounds etc?

leegee

Thanks for all the suggestions. It’s a weldment of about 12 parts and not just tube,and the finish needs to be permanent and durable. Polyurethane coating looks the way to go.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

There was a Lotus 47F covered in green Velvetex flocking that used to do autotests back in the 70s. Just been restored recently.

http://www.legendsautomotive.co.uk/Showroom/Car/1968Lotus47

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Flocking.’ is closed to new replies.