Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)
  • Flocking to the beach on a sunny day…
  • johndoh
    Free Member

I assume everyone is aware that on those ‘crowded beaches’ shots, they use really long lenses to foreshorten everything to make it appear like people will be elbowing the person next to them when they apply sunscreen.

Drac

Even still there’s a world of difference between those beaches and the ones I’m use to.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ah, looked rather like the beach opposite the Ship at Low Newton.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    johndoh
    Free Member

Even still there’s a world of difference between those beaches and the ones I’m use to.

I’m sure there is, but, as the press like to do, the reality isn’t the same as they paint it.

Drac

as the press like to do, the reality isn’t the same as they paint it

What the media mislead? 😯

Ah, looked rather like the beach opposite the Ship at Low Newton.

That’s a few mile up the coast.

RichPenny
    Free Member

About 10 degrees and a huge ball of fire in the sky? 😉

Dodged the Bournemouth bullet yesterday – there are some nice beaches nearby which are nowhere near as busy. I was still proposing a detour to the New Forest as an alternative but my Wife wouldn’t have it. I’m with Bill Hicks – the beach is where dirt meets water.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Berrow and Brean beach is good for flying big kites: Soft landings. I like road cycling through the empty green hedged singletrack roads of Somerset. To the flaky cafe at Brean for toasties. I like the fort on Brean Down; Martyn Ashton should shoot a bike trials video there.

But mostly when the weather is this fine, I head to the hills.

Drac

About 10 degrees and a huge ball of fire in the sky?

Yup we have that too.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

That’s a few mile up the coast.

Damned nice coast it is too, apart from Seahouses. Which is an armpit of a place. 😉

Drac

Yup mini Blackpool is a horrible blot it’s only the few hundred yards in the town centre. A real shame but it brings money to the area so shouldn’t complain.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Flip flops, check
    Buck fast, check
    Sun cream, nae chance
    Pocket knife, check

Or you could do as our locals do:

http://www.westfm.co.uk/news/local/police-reassure-people-after-ayr-beach-riot/

POSTED 3 HOURS AGO #

Cheesy, where are you then? I’m in prestwick, couldn’t imagine a worse place to been a hot day than Ayr beach! Weegie grand central.

Kunstler

Pictonroad – if that’s Wells beach, that’s where I spent my childhood too. If it was hot and busy the vast majority of folk would plonk themselves down in front of the steps over from the car park. There are five miles of beach running west from there. We used to go in a boat over to the East Hills or to ‘the boiler’ up the creek. On a day like today the shallow water up there would be pleasantly tepid (although tepid doesn’t actually sound pleasant).

cobrakai

Walked around loch morlich this morning then sat and had a brew on the beach. Was brilliant. No crowds, idiots or traffic jams.

Now in hamble looking across southampton water at an oil refinery. Boooooo.

brack
    Free Member

I’m a local to West Wittering.

We cycle to some local spots that are empty in comparison to that beach.

Love it when the angry folk leave us alone after their day trip to the coast… Then get back in their cars with their city attitudes.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Machir Bay, Islay, last Sunday…

Islay 2013 010 by jimmyg352, on Flickr

Loch Gruinart, Islay, last Monday…

Islay 2013 027 by jimmyg352, on Flickr

Claggan Bay, Islay, last wednesday…

Islay 2013 061 by jimmyg352, on Flickr

You really need to pick your beaches! & You can bloody keep Cornwall, rammed with sodding families & kids. Nasty.

BigJohn

There’s a wonderful beach, just south of Bridgend, that’s about a 20min walk from the closest car park, with a camp site and fantastic pub close(ish) by to said car park. Oh and then there’s a 15 minute walk across the stones to get to the sand.

We went down Friday to Sunday and while it wan’t totally deserted, I think everybody had about 3 acres to themselves. Weather perfect, just an interesting bit of surf, absolute bloody paradise.

We lit a fire and cooked some sausages too.

project
    Free Member

I live between 2 or more beaches on the wirral peninsular so surrounded by sand, and as soon as the warm weather comes, loads of people turn up and just sit in their cars with the window open, radios on and read the papers or just ignore the other pasenger.

Strange.

project
    Free Member

Sadly tonight riding along the prom, loads of police there has been a murder, and a few miles along the same route, somebody has been found stabbed.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m just back from paddle boarding at my local beach and its still full from last Saturday 😆

yunki
    Free Member

I live 5 min’s from a beach. To be frank, on sunny days hundreds of people from outside our little town, come, use the beach, drink, act pretty badly, making it unsuitable for me to take my son, leave massive amounts of litter, then go home.

It’s all a matter of perspective surely..

I also live 5 minutes from the beach.. quite often on sunny days it’s thousands that descend on us, boosting the local economy, creating a vibrant atmosphere, helping the town to water down it’s angry insular inbred population (jus’ sayin’ don’t take it personally 😉 ) they have fun, enjoy the pubs.. me and my kids will go to a quieter spot if it’s heaving, cos we’re locals innums, and know where to head when it’s busy.. 8)

piemonster

I genuinely like a beach…….. on a cold sunny winters day.

bearnecessities

I genuinely like a beach…….. on a cold sunny winters day

Full of dogs?!

zippykona

We spent a new year at West Wittering. You couldn’t move without someone watching you. Every bit of grass verge was owned by this set of nimbys or some other competing bunch of express readers.
    Horrible ,horrible place.
    Ps shit beach as well.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Esselgruntfuttock, your Scottish island beaches look lovely, but they are missing 3 ingredients crucial for the perfect beach photo:

1) An azure blue sea, topped with rolling white surf.
    2) A wide expanse of golden sand.
    3) Admiral Ackbar, buried up to his neck.

CountZero

Burnham beach today:

The crowds of sun-worshipers:

The crowded end at Brean, my car’s eleven along from the near end, next to the silver MPV: 😉

RichPenny
    Free Member

Where the **** are your Star Wars characters though? No way are you passing that red and white thing off as an AT-AT, either 🙄

CountZero

It’s a Victorian AT-AT…
    Everybody else is waiting for the kids school break, except Akbar, his are taking a year to go travelling… 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

God there’s some grumpy people about. The complainers remind me of the type of people who move to the countryside then complain about being woken at 5am by the cockerel crowing.
    It’s the beach. People like beaches and will visit them when the weather is good. We’re British. Is what we do.
    Get over it! 🙂

atlaz
    Free Member

I’m with PP. My parents live in France and when they had their house built, they intentionally picked somewhere that wasn’t close to the beach to avoid the insane busy-ness in summer and the total death of the places in winter.

Got to say one thing about SatNav; it’s removed the ability for the average person to use a map. This means usually that although the obvious/shortest route is usually rammed, often the back roads are quite clear.

LoCo
    Free Member

Always go at dawn or in evening as loads quieter in the water for surfing (so I don’t get in anyones way)
    Also being a bit gingerish middle of the day is a bit of a no no if I don’t want to loose all my skin. 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

by Mike Smith 79, on Flickr

Sunset over a very crowded beach last Wednesday – we were about the only people on it.

piemonster

God there’s some grumpy people about. The complainers remind me of the type of people who move to the countryside then complain about being woken at 5am by the cockerel crowing.
    It’s the beach. People like beaches and will visit them when the weather is good. We’re British. Is what we do.
    Get over it!

Complaining about the complainers, I see what you did there 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

…how can this be enjoyable!

You mean posting on STW just to moan about other people having fun? Yeah, I’ve no idea how that can be fun either.

You really need to pick your beaches!

Ok so I’ll just drive 10 hours up to Scotland for a quick day out 🙄

So, anyone got any suggestions for the quietest nice beach within striking distance of Cardiff? I’ve lived here for ages but I’ve never before felt the need to head for a beach in a rare spell of hot weather with millions of others. The Gower is likely to be rammed.. Maybe Pendine as mentioned above?

binners

Those lovely expanses of deserted sand are all well and good, but after you’ve let your dog curl one off on the sand, where do you go for a WKD Blue? Eh?

DezB
    Free Member

On Sunday I rode 10 miles on my cross bike to the beach, swam in the sea, chilled on the pebbles looked at the bikinis. Rode back home.
    Was lovely. Not crowded at all.

convert – Member
    I was doing a swimming event at Brownsea Island in Poole Harbour yesterday

Bloke I work with did that event too 🙂

piemonster

striking distance of Cardiff?

Last time I went to Pembrey Sands near Burry Port was during good summer weather and was reasonably quiet.

bikebouy
    Free Member

WFH again so I’m off to the beach..

Ta ta.

😆

stimpy
    Free Member

Heading to the Purbecks for a ride tonight.

Depressed at the prospect of the traffic 🙁

plyphon
    Free Member

I live on the South Coast and I hate the beach in the UK.

Abroad, **** yeah.

In the UK I can’t stand the sea of tribal tattoos and tales of last nights shag, the stench of suncream on middle aged women juggling the coolbox and nappies, and the inevitable “older couple” who are both showing off far more than i’m sure is legal.

You’ll find me in the forest.

molgrips
    Free Member

In the UK I can’t stand

Not all beaches are like that though. As shown above, there are tons that are empty.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Flocking to the beach on a sunny day…’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts