Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)
  • Flocking to the beach on a sunny day…
  • the-muffin-man

…how can this be enjoyable!

yossarian
    Free Member

i live by the sea and it amazes me how people will drive, then queue to park, then sit on a crowded beach before queueing to leave.

jam-bo

cos it was doing this on saturday in kernow.

I didn’t get to go despite being 25miles away.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

…how can this be enjoyable!

You might catch a glimpse of a pair of boobies.

(Other sea birds are available, etc.)

z1ppy

oh stop being grumpy arses 😉 , we seemingly have so little proper hot weather, why complain when ppl try to use it?

persona
    Free Member

how can this be enjoyable!

the woman in the foreground checking out her nipple?

bikebouy
    Free Member

A beach near me hardly gets anyone sitting on it for let’s say 360 days of the year, but Sat and Sun and it was plastered from shingle to lightly lapping briney, today it’s half full already..
    Looks like being a fave spot for another couple of days yet before it turns back into the “kite beach behind the bird sanctuary where yer hair gets blown off”

Marvellous.

Bet the M3 back upto London was rammed last night…

Coyote
    Free Member

how can this be enjoyable!

Some would ask the same regarding riding a MTB through a godforesaken, wind and rain blasted moor in the depths of winter.

Bet the local tourist industry is getting a nice little boost. Stop moaning.

warton
    Free Member

I live 5 min’s from a beach. To be frank, on sunny days hundreds of people from outside our little town, come, use the beach, drink, act pretty badly, making it unsuitable for me to take my son, leave massive amounts of litter, then go home.

They can go **** themselves

binners

Maybe they just come to bask in the charm and hospitality of the locals?

zokes
    Free Member

I live 5 min’s from a beach. To be frank, on sunny days hundreds of people from outside our little town, come, use the beach, drink, act pretty badly, making it unsuitable for me to take my son, leave massive amounts of litter, then go home.
    They can go **** themselves

Such a pity that they’re actually public places 🙄

warton
    Free Member

Such a pity that they’re actually public places

So, because it’s a public space people can be abusive, aggressive and leave vast amounts of litter everywhere?

😯

wwaswas

maybe you should head inland on sunny days and crap on their doorsteps warton?

cat69uk
    Free Member

Northumberland coast yesterday afternoon 🙂

warton
    Free Member

I’ve been doing that for years wwaswas 😀

Not just in summer either

bob_summers

My local playa an hour or two ago. Heading down for a dip after training.

convert

I was doing a swimming event at Brownsea Island in Poole Harbour yesterday. Leaving Sandbanks at about midday the queue the other way to get onto sandbanks and into the car park was about 2 miles long. Sandbanks is one of the uk’s (world’s?) most expensive places to buy a house. If I had to suffer that sort of conjestion to drive to my own house there’s no way I’d have paid out 5 or 6 million for it.

Can I just be the first to say that trying to get a few odd jobs done around the garden today (bit of strimming, bit of pruning, bit of chainsaw action) – it’s actually a bit too hot today! We brits are never satisifed!

MrSmith
    Free Member

can’t see the point in it either, i grew up 25min from a beach and as a family we would drive down at 5:30 just as everyone was coming back passing the long queues of cars sat in the heat then walk along the beach for a bit and grab an ice-cream or fish and chips and watch the sun go down. i still don’t get sitting on a beach being burn’t to a crisp while the dregs of humanity seethe in close proximity.

40mpg

Convert – the right hand lane round sandbanks bypasses the ferry queue so the bentleys and astons can get home (there’s also a load of free parking roadside just past the ferry which most people miss).

Apparently there was a 10-mile tailback coming out of Bournemouth yesterday afternoon 😯 It often gets bad but not usually that bad on sunny days – I think the summer has been condensed to one weekend this years in most peoples minds due to the cold spell earlier and last years washout, so everyone was trying to get a bit of British beach time in one hit.

If the weather stays good, it’ll calm down a bit, so I’ll get my beach time in a few weeks (and the water might be a bit warmer by then too).

Anyway I think its great people heading down this way and enjoying our wonderful coast (although preferable if they clear up after themselves).

binners

Just feel the love on this thread 😀

BoardinBob

Beaches are horrible for sunbathing on. Sand, used tampons and condoms, salty water. Yuck.

coursemyhorse
    Free Member

We got caught in the traffic going down south Saturday morning. I was trying to get to a family event and not the bloomin beach!

bigyinn
    Free Member

Ryde beach was pretty busy yesterday, but it was wonderful out there. Lots of nice ladies / men / walruses (whichever is your preference) on the beach.
    Sure the grockles are a pain in the arse, but they spend their money here then they **** off lobstered up back to the holes they came from, leaving the beaches clear for us natives to enjoy.

bigyinn
    Free Member

BoardinBob – Member

Beaches are horrible for sunbathing on. Sand, used tampons and condoms, salty water. Yuck.
    WTF do you go on holiday? Kings Cross? 😯

CaptJon
    Free Member

Depth of field is making it look busier than it is?

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Bournemouth looked to be a shocker yesterday – we passed the traffic going the other way.

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/10531843.UPDATED__Anger_follows_traffic_bedlam_on_A338/

bigyinn
    Free Member

That ^^^ is my worst nightmare.

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Flip flops, check
    Buck fast, check
    Sun cream, nae chance
    Pocket knife, check

Or you could do as our locals do:

http://www.westfm.co.uk/news/local/police-reassure-people-after-ayr-beach-riot/

wwaswas

The seafront has always attracted people on a sunny weekend;

I love the family in the middle of it all;

Brighton police used to wear proper hats too;

jekkyl

I considered going to the beach yesterday, but instead I took the little one to the local baths and when she had a post lunchtime snooze I had 2 cans of grolsch and dozed in the sun. Absolutely glorious.

Drac

Tell me about we went Friday night and could hardly move.

Low Steads packed as ever by Lee Collis, on Flickr

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

I raised an eyebrow on Sat when the GF said she wanted to go to the seaside.

Swanage? Really? A cul-de-sac? On the hottest day of the year so far?

OK then.

Far too much pink, white and badly tattooed flesh on display for my liking.

Not from my GF, he edited hastily. 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Decent boozer just behind you, IIRC, Drac.

Their lobster was superb last time I was there!

pictonroad

10 miles.. West Wittering was worse than that, my mate lives down there and they were still queuing at 6 to get onto the beach which closes at 8.

2-3 hours stationary in a car in 30degs with 2 kids in the back. I bet there were some frazzled tempers. I’d NEVER consider that kind of nonsense but if that’s what floats your boat…

I grew up near this beach in Norfolk, like others have said, when you’re local it’s the natural thing to just stroll down as the sun is setting and the crowds have gone.

absolute bliss, the beaches down here on the South Coast are awful.

Drac

Decent boozer just behind you, IIRC, Drac.

Wrong beach but I’ll let you off as we have so many to chose from but most are quieter than that one.

the beach which closes at 8.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqyixwqiCag[/video]

CountZero

Crowded beaches like that give me hives just looking at the photos! I love going down to Burnham/Berrow/Brean, the beach is about five miles long, and once you get away from the hotspots near the actual beach access, there are very long stretches with barely a soul on them. Pendine is another, around six miles of sand which hardly anyone ventures onto, other then the half-mile or so at the access point. A bit too far for a one-day trip for me, though.
    I’ll probably drive down to Burnham this week, though.

singletrackmind

@Drac
    West Wittering beach is privately owned . Its also one of the longest stretches of sand with a gently shelving beach on the south coast .
    It gets thousands of people on hot sunny days all happy to pay( I think) £10 to park . It closes ( well the car park does ) at 8pm.

Drac

Pay to park and use a beach?

Where is this foreign land?

Lifer
    Free Member

The NIMBY’s Republic of West Sussex.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I can’t stand beaches they bore me to tears. I just don’t get it at all. Horrible places.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Flocking to the beach on a sunny day…’ is closed to new replies.