Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • floating rotors
  • elaineanne
    Free Member

ok ive had floating rotors for approx three years or just over… the outside (saw edge) is rusty ans in the design grooves is also rusty…ive read there are different types of steel (which they are made out of)… and the top graded steel does not go rusty…but the lower graded steel does go rusty…. they are ‘Hope’ floating Rotors… so good quality realy…. anything I can clean them with…. the actual steel bit where the pad grabs isn’t rusty at all just the saw edges and design grooves /holes..

plus-one

Use bit of fine grade sandpaper or similar.. It will just be bit surface rust 🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

Wire wool would do it but it’s purely cosmetic.

Also, different grades of steel can have quite varied performace characteristics for a number of things. Rate of corrosion is just one of them. Just because some might not rust doesn’t have to mean it’s better in this application.

oldnick

If you can just live with it.
    Back in the mists of time I put cast iron rotors on one of my motorbikes, they rusted when you blinked but were much better for, er, braking.
    I presume Hope chose the alloy they did to get the compromise of braking performance vs corrosion resistance they wanted, if the surface rust really bugs you look out for some ‘rust killer’ that leaves an inert surface.

elaineanne
    Free Member

doesn’t bother me too much just asking really lol

acehtn
    Free Member

Depending on pads, could be pad dust causing the rust ?

I use organic pads and don’t get that, have had it with sintered pads.

Not worried by it, just cosmetic.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘floating rotors’ is closed to new replies.