Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Float or Revelation…
  • mangatank
    Free Member

In a follow up to a previous post, I seek further advice…

A fixed travel Fox Forx Float XTT (130mm 2006) or 2008 100-130mm Revelation. What would you bung on the 06 Wolf Ridge?

hmmm…..

steve_b77
    Free Member

Personally I'd go for the Revelation, I've got a 2008 U-turn 85-130mm and it's bloody good.

RealMan
    Free Member

I love my revs, but they broke after only 3 weeks of riding. Think the floats might be a bit more reliable.

clubber
    Free Member

Definitely revs for me – cheaper, reliable, perform well and fewer problems with the anodising and you don't have to deal with Mojo if they go wrong.

mangatank
    Free Member

I agree with both of those comments! :-/

Therein lies the problem…

SO it's really a question of fixed travel vs adjustable.

fozzybear
    Free Member

Revelation whichever version you choose you will be happy.

having had 3 x fox forks and 2 x RS forks (pike and lyrik) i'll not go back to fox unless they make amazing steps forward or RS fall back..

hugh_b
    Free Member

deffo the rev's, i've had both fox and rockshox. The rockshox wins evey-time, for me the rockshox perform as good if not better than the fox, they are far less maintenance hungry and all my rockshox have been reliable. (touch wood)

mrtwist
    Free Member

I'm going to be flogging my 08 revs as soon as my new 2010 ones come if you are interested?

mangatank
    Free Member

Possibly! I'm still in two minds about fork lengths too. (140mm on 130mm frame). But yeah I could be interested.

mrtwist
    Free Member

mine are u turn, they run between 100 and 130

stumpy01

I'd go with the revs…..

nickegg
    Free Member

I'd go with Revelations.

Used to run Fox Float RL then Vanilla R on my 2007 Wolf Ridge but had major problms with wear despite regular maintenance……just fitted Rev's to my Orange 5 and they're are great.

Personally don't have a need for travel adjust. The u-turn versions have abit of dead travel due to the u-turn assembly, apparently.

mangatank
    Free Member

That's exactly why I'm debating the need for travel. I think Marzocchi's ETA system is the best solution for most situations. That or a lock out.

Maybe Magura Menja 130mm…

Olly
    Free Member

U turn is an utter faff.
    i would MUCH rather have zocchis ETA or RSs "2 stage" system in my revs…

none of that "windywindywindywindy"

just

"up, down, up, down"

mangatank
    Free Member

…refreshed browser and double posted! ignore!

Speshpaul

Maybe Magura Menja 130mm…

Most defo Menja's, 1.7kg and £360, and very well made.

But back to your question, Rev's (if i couldn't have Menja's:-)

mangatank
    Free Member

Thanks Everyone!

james
    Free Member

"SO it's really a question of fixed travel vs adjustable"

And ride height

Axle – crown measurements differ
    Fox Float @ 130mm = 501mm
    RS Revelation @ 130mm = 508mm
    Magura Menja @ 130mm = 500mm

So the revelations won't dive as far when bottomed out

mtbtomo
    Free Member

The rev's won't dive as low, but surely if they're 130mm travel they will dive 130mm just like all the other 130mm forks?

Depends if you need or want a low front end or whether 7mm is 3/5 of naff all in reality?

topangarider
    Free Member

Can't recommend the Menja's enough. Absolutely chuffed to bits with mine. Track really well due to the stiffness (as good as all this thro' axle business I reckon).

Can't say I use the lockout much, but would depend on your climbing technique. I reckon I'd prefer a lock-down like the Marz ETA, but a lockout is better than none.

Menjas!!

mickasaki
    Free Member

Hi, ive had floats on my 07 wolfridge, but changed to 130 revs. no doubt about it, go for the revs ( and i was anti-rockshox for years too!)

lyons
    Free Member

I think i'm the only person here who would go for the foxes… After riding and owning various 130mm forks – marzochi, rockshox, manitou, i still think that fox forks outperform them all.

mangatank
    Free Member

I don't think I've ever seen such an overwhelming vote in favour of a particular fork before. Rockshox really do seem to have sorted their stuff out. That's really interesting in itself.

Anyone ever tried Fox XTT forks?

mangatank
    Free Member

Well I ended up going for the Menja 130mm. Lovely fork with the nicest shock absorbing action I've come across.

In the end the choice came down to axil to crown lengths. The Menja was the shortest of the 130mm's at 498mm, giving me sharper handling for the same travel as the bike's original spec. A good compromise I think.

What a great bike it is too. That brutal, mechanical TARA monocoque still looks startlingly radical even in these days of sinuous top tubes and hydroformed pipes.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Float or Revelation…’ is closed to new replies.