• This topic has 20 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by pb2.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Flip flop hub
  • pb2

I am selling my fixie after failing to grow a suitably hipster beard and finding riding in tight jeans uncomfortable(:wink:)

A potential buyer has asked me does the rear hub have a flip sprocket to convert to single speed and I confess I don’t have a clue even though I have built up several bikes and repaired a lot more.

I guess there is an easy way to determine this ? If someone could enlighten me I would be grateful, thnx Paul

STATO
    Free Member

Is the other side of the hub threaded?

joshvegas
    Free Member

If they want it to flip flop a fixed thread is stepped with the outer thread noticible narrow in diameter and threaded the wrong way. Freewheel threads are the same diameter from flange to the outer edge.

A freewheell will happily sit on a fixed thread though as they are the same

pb2

Yes the non drive side is thread and looks at first glance to be identical to the drive side in diameter and width.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Then that is what I understand to be a flip flop hub. Stick a fixed gear on one side and a freewheel on the other then reverse the wheel to swap between them. So long as they are the same size of course

STATO
    Free Member

It never works of course as the chainline of a freewheel is different to that of a fixed sprocket.

pb2

Well thats got me thinking if it is that I might just keep it because its like new and making it in to a single speed gives me a lot more options 😀

STATO
    Free Member

Unless its hilly then fixed is better anyway. A fixie with a freewheel is even more shameful than not having the right beard 😀

pb2

Its too late Stato I am more shameful than the entire cast of shameless — I am beyond redemption according to my friends and family 😀

pb2

To convert it to a single speed is it as simple as flipping the wheel over and swapping gear from one side to another or is that wishful thinking on my behalf ?

joshvegas
    Free Member

To swap you just flip the wheel. Aslong as you have fitted a freewheel ofcourse…

To clarify you need to fit a freewheel. The fixed cog stays where it is.

thepodge
    Free Member

Its easy if they are the same number of teeth, if they are different then you run the risk of needing to re adjust the brake blocks

pb2

Cheers guys, thats a great help and you will be pleased to hear I have finally got it 🙂 Anyone know of a decent cheapish freewheel ?

TiRed

A fixie with a freewheel is even more shameful than not having the right beard

I normally pronounce to hipsters that their rear wheel is on the wrong way round. Most look at me in a rather gormless way.

(Short bearded, fixed road bike rider)

OP you have a flip flop hub. Stick a freewheel on and reverse the wheel. then when you are used to riding singlespeed, come back to fixed. FWIW I’v never really understood singlespeed (as opposed to fixed) for the road despite riding SS exclusively on my mtb.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Singlespeed is way better for those of us who like to coast unless you are a feet off the pedals type

shermer75
    Free Member

“Anyone know of a decent cheapish freewheel ? “

Sturmey Archer ones are about £12, are a bit heavy, but seem to run ok.

Shimano DX ones are about £20, lighter, and seem to be the one that everyone goes for! 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member
    ninkynonk
    Free Member

Hi Paul,

try having a look on Charlie’s site.

cheers
    Barney

shermer75
    Free Member

There’s a bit of chain compatability to worry about too- they can either be 3/32″ or 1/8″.

A 3/32″ chain won’t work on a 1/8″ sprocket or chainring

But!

A 1/8″ chain will work on a 3/32″ sprocket or chainring.

drofluf
    Free Member

Cheers guys, thats a great help and you will be pleased to hear I have finally got it Anyone know of a decent cheapish freewheel ?

Dicta are cheap as chips and “fit and forget”*

I’d go for a shimano one, seem to last forever.

*as in fit it and forget about getting it off without going medieval.

pb2

Gold medal to all who replied.
    Thats another one ticked off my to do list,in my best C.A fast show scorchio voice “mucho grassy arse forumites” 8)

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Flip flop hub’ is closed to new replies.