Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Flight prices & skiing hols
  • mildred

Hello, we’ve recently booked our annual ski trip; going to Les Deux Alpes. Feb half term 😩

We drove last year but flew the year before. I’m just looking at flights and the prices are currently more than double what we paid in the 2017 half term. Does anyone know whether they’re likely to alter much once the ski season starts? I can’t recall when I booked the flights in 2017 (i.e. closer or further from the date of travel), so can’t remember what happened with the prices, whether they altered much etc.

Anyone any tips?

There’s 3 adults & 4 kids travelling & we’re considering hiring a minibus, but struggling to find any that include a winter pack such as winter tyres. Again, anyone any ideas?

leffeboy

Is the train not an option? It’s a huge drive

deadkenny
    Free Member

I’m SE based and 10-12ish hour drive vs 1 hour to get to airport & parked plus shuttle to terminal + 2 hours before flight + 2 hour flight + 1 hour at least collecting luggage + 2 hours with a transfer faffing about stopping everywhere or 1 hour drive but at least half an hour getting to the car rental and sorting out the car.

So, worst case with flying, and that’s assuming no flight delays, it’s not that much quicker than driving door to door.

That said, skiing I tend to fly but luggage costs are racking up these days taking skis.

Plus Les Deux Alpes is close to Grenoble airport so less of a transfer in theory.

Bike trips I’d prefer driving as so much more flexible with what I can take and don’t have to pull the bike apart.

Anyway, flight prices have gone up a lot. The pound being bad one reason for a start. No idea where it will go what with Brexit and stuff.

Train, looks like Eurostar to Paris and SNCF to Grenoble. Then transfer. Quick look and about £150 return just based on one person (interested myself at train prices. Last time I did one was a very long time ago Eurostar overnight ski train).

TheDTs
    Free Member

Some of the group we are going with are flying the rest (us) driving. The prices were crazy for flights. Some have booked to go a couple of days early and have a mooch about Geneva and Martigny. The Thursday before is about £30 plus extras from Bristol. No good if you have kids though. Never found the drive too arduous if I’m honest.

cchris2lou

If Grenoble is Ryanair, luggage costs will be huge.

mildred

Train is coming up very close to flying cost wise (we’re Notts).

I’ve driven there loads and don’t mind it that much – flying is easy and quick but when I look at flight times, last time we did this we set off from home at 1.30am in order to get parked and to the terminal in time for a 6.30am flight. The transfer took about 2hrs and we arrived in resort at about 1pm – that’s a long time travelling, sitting around spending money in airports etc.

Last year we set off at 7pm on Friday, got the overnight ferry (harwich – hook of Holland) and got in resort for 6pm Saturday. That included 7hrs asleep in a comfy bed. I’d book it tomorrow but I only have 5 seats in my van and there’s gonna be 7 of us travelling this year.

Speeder

Did Les 2 Alpes this year and it was fabulous. Bluebird skies everyday and err quite warm. Never known anything like it for temperature. Snow suffered but as a first family ski trip it was awesome. Flights were about £1k for 4 with Jet2 into Grenoble and that was a week outside 1/2 term. !/2 term itself was above the threshold so we bunked the kids out of school.

Good luck.

igm

5 in the van, met the other two there?

mildred

No can do – I’m not being responsible for other people’s kids..! I’m barely responsible with my own 😳

mildred

Anyone hires a minibus for this? Had a couple of quotes but coming in similar to flights when I factor fuel & tolls.

ransos
    Free Member

We’re driving to Samoens next Easter. Eurotunnel is very cheap and we’ll stop over in Champagne in both directions to keep life easy. French chain hotels are usually cheap.

I did have a good look at driving times for the various resorts as there are big differences.

TheDTs
    Free Member

We drive a pickup truck with the 4 people who are flying out’s gear, they take hand baggage only. The other car is a 7 seat smax with 4 people and a roof box. The S max is coming back with 6 in it as the return flight was too expensive. We take lots of stuff! Everyone has own skis and boots except my two kids. We also take lots of food up from the valley. I can’t see a cheap option for you, sorry! Send gear with DHL and hire a 7 seater?

tuboflard

When faced with this problem a few years ago we ended up flying to Paris and driving to Samoens for half term. EasyJet were quoting around £900 for two adults and ski bags to Geneva from Manchester. Paris flights were peanuts in comparison and was able to hire a Merc 4WD for the drive which was great and made the actual drive pretty painless. Also meant I could spend a day in Paris on the way back seeing my brother so worked out really well.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Flight prices & skiing hols’ is closed to new replies.