Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Fleetwith Pike – what's it really like to ride?
  • wl
    Free Member

Seems to be some debate as to whether this descent is rideable or not, so I’m looking for views from people who’ve walked or ridden it. Is there only one way down it? And is it rideable but very steep and tricky, or not rideable at all, or mostly rideable with a few bits that aren’t? Looking for an alternative to Warnscale as a way of getting to Buttermere. Thanks v much.

richpips
    Free Member

The FP? Having walked up and down it a number of times, I would say don’t bother. It’s very steep in a number of places.

bungalistic
    Free Member

The bridleway is rideable in parts yes, how many parts depends on your level of technical skill. I’ve never managed to ride it all, don’t think i’ll ever be able to, can’t say I found it that enjoyable but it’s certainly challenging.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Not many other options to Buttermere, but if you’re route after Buttermere was up and over Scarth Gap, then one alternative would be to ride from Honister over Grey Knotts and descend Loft Beck to Black Sail Hut.
    A bit techier and steeper than Scarth Gap (which is a bit meh)

wl
    Free Member

Thanks for the info so far, folk. Keep it coming.

Ecky – cheers. Is that the one that comes down alongside a waterfall, approached BS hut from the other side to Scarth Gap? I’ve walked it and wondered about riding it. Might have to give it a go sometime. Take it you’ve not done Fleetwith?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

That’s the one WL.
    Sorry only ridden Fleetwith by the usual Warnscale BW route.

wl
    Free Member

No worries – thanks Ecky. Loft Beck now on my hit list. Just how techy is it? I seem to remember very steep and very tight in places. Bit of exposure, but not suicidal?

lowey

Loft beck… (it wasnt me, ok ?)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/owp2HX]Buttermere 1-9-13 – 26[/url] by lowey.com, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/oNBY1M]Buttermere 1-9-13 – 29[/url] by lowey.com, on Flickr

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

yep wl, that’s a fair summary . Not really much exposure tbh, just steep.

[edit] I seem to remember less rubble and more steps than Lowey’s pics suggest, but yep, that’s the one [/edit]

wl
    Free Member

Ecky – ok, great, and thanks.
    Lowey – ta for the pics and mum’s the word.

boxelder

Bits of the Fleetwith will be rideable, but there’ll no flow – it’ll be on the brakes slow survival I reckon. Some like that sort of thing. If going down to Black Sail, there’s a route down the head of the valley – left as you descend Loft Beck.

wl
    Free Member

Box – cheers for this, might have to check it anyway, just so I know once and for all.

Another trail I’m interested in is the cheeky FP from halfway down Sticks Pass to Ullswater. Anyone know it? Is it good/technical/easy to find? Ta v much.

skolt
    Free Member

Fleetwith main ridge footpath down to Garesgarth – there are 2-3 sections of carrying down. The rest is OK if you’ve not done it before but not amazing.
    Main bridleway down Warnscale is the usual way down. One tricky section down a slab and further down a likely few metres of cary across a gully.
    Path down left of beck is rideable but a bit stop/start at top.

Loft beck – wouldn’t bother!

wl
    Free Member

Skolt – cheers for this. Done Warnscale plenty of times (one of my favourites) and now looking for an alternative. To be honest Loft Beck sounds worth a look to me – I’ve hiked it anyway so know what to expect. Will probably give Fleetwith a look too at some point.

fergal
    Free Member

Sorry for the hijack, but while we are in this neck of the woods, any tips for the best way off Robinson?

Superficial
    Free Member

Don’t know the best way, because I’ve only done one; Hindscarth –> Scope End.

95% rideable if you’re pretty good, happy with extremely tight tech stuff and OK going slow. It’s pretty epic – the ridge stretches out in front of you and since you never get any real speed up, the descent goes on forever (in a good way). BUT it’s a massive ride to get there (via Honister) and not at all flowy so I’d imagine it’s not everyone’s cup of tea.

wl
    Free Member

fergal and superficial: no worries for the hijack and thanks for this bonus bit of info – Robinson route sounds like a cracker and is now defo on my list.

D0NK

Another trail I’m interested in is the cheeky FP from halfway down Sticks Pass to Ullswater.

round the back of sheffield pike to seldom seen? Done it, didn’t enjoy it, nor did the guy I was with, one long rut with a load of exposure to the left. Don’t like ruts or exposure. I know others who reportedly enjoyed it tho. There’s a vague boggy bit between the quarry and nick head, not too difficult to find the trail tho, we stayed low, I think the other group took the higher fp then dropped off piste (or unmarked track) to nick head.
    Bottom section through the woods is a bit more my style, proper slippery when wet tho.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

thanks Superficial,
    a Robinson > Hindscarth > Scope End route is now on the to-do list 🙂

dunmail
    Free Member

Boxelder: Some like that sort of thing. If going down to Black Sail, there’s a route down the head of the valley – left as you descend Loft Beck

Do you mean down the long ridge marked as “Tongue” on the map? Or closer to Loft Beck, i.e. on an unmarked path?

For the former you’d have to traverse along Moses Trod for quite a way.

stoney
    Free Member

Done it 2/3 times, mostly ridable, (i was on a HT), just a couple of bits i dragged the 3rd brake…. 😉

boxelder

Yes, ‘Tongue’. Tricky to get the start, but you cut in without starting Moses trod proper.
    Stoney’s unhinged, so that settles it…… 😉

stoney
    Free Member

Unhinged!, (i`ve been called worse!) 😉 I can live with that! 😛

Sadly, no longer have the HT, got a full bounce now. 😉

stoney
    Free Member

BTW, Moses Trod is a bit of a trek……, especially if you`ve ridden from town.

But its all good stuff!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Fleetwith Pike – what's it really like to ride?’ is closed to new replies.