• This topic has 34 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Del.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Fleas.
  • bluearsedfly
    Free Member

In the house.

Only found a few this evening, the cat will be nuked in the morning but what’s best for the house apart from constant hoovering?

The wife is threatening to go to the mother in laws until it’s sorted so it’s not all bad.

z1ppy

Had good results with Indorex household spray previously

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

get the council in. got to kill the eggs. ficam d with 5% bendiocarb is the weapon of choice i believe

(summer spent when 17 as a flea and wasp dude)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    pk13

Flea bomb and leave the house for day. Or roll up your trousers take your socks off and let the feeding commence.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Just panic bought some of that Indorex.

Wife flapping about poisons and the kids. Will speak to the council on Monday.

Thanks!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Flea bombed an apartment last year and was 100% effective, bought from a pet shop.

demelitia
    Free Member

Those little lamp/sticky pad contraptions were actually surprisingly effective for grabbing the few stragglers you might have missed with the chemical warfare. Stick one near where you know there were critters and then laugh the day after when you see what you’ve caught.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Are those flea bombs like a smoke bomb? I like the sound of those!

Presume it’s a pets at home job?

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

As a teenager me and my french exchange would catch and pop the little critters as they gathered under the warmth of a lamp in the bedroom of his family’s holiday home in Correze. Kept us entertained for hours. I don’t think I’d suggest this as a very effective method if you were short of time.

Drac

Amazon do flea bomb sprays set them off close the door to the room and leave it for it’s work. They work a treat.

Cougar

I’ve tried all manner of powders / bombs / sprays. The only thing that ever worked for me was Frontline on the cat.

slimporcini
    Free Member

+1 for indorex. had a couple of infestations since we’ve had cats. also works great to keep them at bay, tend to spray the house 2 -3 times a year with the stuff

mrwhyte
    Free Member

Indorex is the job.

Just have to be thorough with the hoovering. Wash any sheets or pillows the cat sits on.

At night you can put a bowl of water out with some flea spray in and a couple of tea lights floating in. Morning you will find a few fleas in there. This one worked really well for us when a stray brought in a load of fleas to our house last summer!

verses

We’ve twice been lacks/lax(?) with defleaing the cat, to the point where fleas’ve taken over the house.

Indorex has sorted them both times.

eskay

We moved in to a house where the previous owners had cats and tried everything to get rid of the fleas. The only thing that got rid of them was calling in the council and getting them to spray the place.

drewd

As above, Indorex for the house. It will kill pretty much any insect too. That said I am asthmatic and although it isn’t a pleasant product to use I don’t feel the need to leave the house after applying it like I did when my parents used to spray their house with whatever was available 25 years ago. The older stuff was really nasty.

Regular hoovering and a second application if necessary should see you right.

z1ppy

The wife is threatening to go to the mother in laws until it’s sorted so it’s not all bad.

😈

Just panic bought some of that Indorex.

Wife flapping about poisons and the kids. Will speak to the council on Monday.

Dude you have my sympathy, she sounds mad as a hatter challenging. What do you think the council are going to use? Just tell her to **** off to go visit the MIL for the day, get on & spray the house. Then go out for a good ride, come back open the windows & vacuum. Job done, & you don’t have to live with fleas for the weekend
    😉

dannybgoode

Indorex for us – never let us down.

Don’t use frontline on the animals – it’s no longer very effective – been around so long the fleas have become pretty resistant to it.

Del

Don’t use frontline on the animals – it’s no longer very effective – been around so long the fleas have become pretty resistant to it.

heard this said more than a few times. i don’t treat my dog regularly, but when i do i use a frontline equivalent bought online ( same active ingredient, much cheaper ), and it wipes the problem out almost immediately.

indorex for the house as suggested. used it when i got rid of the ex, not had a flea problem in 6 or so years.

Cougar

indorex for the house as suggested. used it when i got rid of the ex

Christ, it must be strong stuff.

Del

i knew someone would go for that and you didn’t let me down. 😉

footflaps

We had a flea infestation when using Frontline as the local fleas aren’t affected by it anymore. Moved to “advantage”, which still is effective.

Killed off fleas in the house with flea spray and a lot of vacuuming. Wasn’t that hard to get rid off, just took a few weeks efforts of spraying and vacuuming a lot.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Thanks everyone.

Mrs managed to burn our classic Dyson DC04 out this morning (gutted), so a new one is being delivered tomorrow.

Cat has been nuked and is sunning herself outside.

Is indorex ok around the kids etc or do we have to clear the house? The cat usually sleeps on the corner couch so I’m going to have to pull it out and lag it.

Edit: The wife bought some flea drops called Ectoline and I’m struggling to find any reviews on it. Does anyone have any experience of it?

chickenman

Nit comb every day on the cat. have a dish with freshly boiled water from the kettle beside you to dunk the wee feckers in when you catch them. All round the neck, shoulders and base of tail favourite hiding places. Tummy too..cat will hate you for this! Treatment as well of course!

stumason10

My dog got them bad a few years back and trashed the house with them too.

What worked in the end was vaccine, flea powder bombs the whole lot. But what actually fixed it is an old wives tail that works. Treat the host with decent quality flea treatment and the critters jump on the dog and commit suicide in the process. That’s what finally sorted mine. Advocat.

funkmasterp

dannybgoode

Indorex is pretty potent. In particular cover any fish tanks. Rooms need to be sealed for 30 mins or so after spraying then aired. A good blast should last a year.

z1ppy

Is indorex ok around the kids etc or do we have to clear the house? The cat usually sleeps on the corner couch so I’m going to have to pull it out and lag it.

Lag it? Bin it? Nah just spray it down with the indorex, follow the instructions but I know you need to vacate the room for at least a while, then ventilate, can’t be too bad as there’s quite a few of us on the thread who’ve used it and survived 🙂
    As for flea treatment, I tend to get a perscription stuff, which is annoying as the vet will want to see that cat, but more likely to work unlike over the counter stuff

Del

a dyson? oh well, never mind.
    spray the vacuum cleaner before you use it too, otherwise you’ll hoover the eggs up and spray them out the back. just fire indorex up the pipe.

simmy
    Free Member

We have used stuff from the vets in the past, prob that indorex stuff, where you have to leave the room etc.

Just do it before taking the family for a nice day out to calm the missus down 😉

Another tip is to empty the Dyson every time you use it into bin bags etc, tied up into the dustbin.

carlosg
    Free Member

We now use Advantage on the cat after Front line stopped working and a mixture of diatomatious(sp) earth and lots of vacuuming for the carpets. Luckily our cat lives inside (scared stiff of the outside world and will not go out) so it’s the humans that bring fleas home now.

wicki
    Free Member

Fleas ticks mosquites big problem here in France.

We treat the cats with a pill from the vet called cofidice or close to that much better than frontline, and like the rest said bomb the house once a month and i would repeat a month later, its great! dead bugs every where.

Neb

We use the monthly flea tablets on the cats, much easier than spot on. Less stress for the cats and less scratches for us! We’ve not had any flea problems since. Previously advantage spot on and indorex, always seemed to half work and the little buggers would still appear 3 months later

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Mr DPD has just very kindly dropped of a gtech air ram thingy and hand held gtech thingy. They’re on charge ready to go (I’m not sure if they’re STW enough, I imagine a Miele is the default? Mrs bluearsedfly chose them).

Indorex due in the morning so will have to see how it goes.

Luckily the cat is a big softy, she’s more of a house cat and doesn’t really venture past the front or back gardens and doesn’t really kick off when she’s being handled.

Thanks again.

Del

😆 stw enough? no idea. never heard of them. have heard of miele and they’re supposed to be good, but i have a henry ‘cat and dog’, that works a treat, and was much cheaper than the alternatives.

anyway, good luck with it. a day or two and you’ll wonder what the fuss was about.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Fleas.’ is closed to new replies.