Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Flat/traffic free roads near Guildford
  • padkinson
    Free Member

I’ve just moved to Guildford to study at the uni, so I don’t know the area that well, and I’m struggling to find a road suitable for an FTP test. This wasn’t a problem I ever had in Suffolk!
    Anyone know of any roads within 45 minutes of Gford where I could do 20 minutes of continuous hard pedalling? (i.e. Flat, straight, no traffic lights).

jambalaya
    Free Member

The whole beauty of Guildford for cycing is it’s not flat ! You can try heading South, once you are past the North Downs, say around Cranleigh heading South before you hit the South Downs. Quiet ? Hum, go out very early

zippykona

Hard shoulder of the a3?

theotherjonv

Mainly flat (slightly uphill actually, but only 1-2% gradient) is the A323; starts pretty close to the University, through the Park Barn estate.

From the Black Bison pub http://theblackbison.co.uk/, heading West on the A323 – it’s downhill to start with but then flattens; then there’s a roundabout in about 1/2 mile (take the first exit straight ahead) where you might need to slow but visibility is usually Ok for you to pick a gap; after that it’s pretty flat as far as nearly Ash which has a set of traffic lights and a short hill thereafter.

It’s an A road so quite wide with good visibility but cars do come past quite quick, even in the bits which are a 30 limit. There’s also a right turn at Cobbett Hill Rd where in rush hour sometimes there’s a short queue and you have to pick past (or use the pavement!!) Used by lots of cyclists (me included) though so regular drivers of it are used to seeing and passing bikes.

I reckon it’s about 5 miles which maybe isn’t enough for a full 20, so instead you could start at Ash end, and use the roundabout as a turn and return course? Or there is a local ten mile TT course, that uses the same road but then a loop and which has a couple of small hills (up and then down, 95m total climb in the 10m)

http://www.mapmyride.com/gb/frimley-eng/charlottesville-10-tt-course-route-51551926

theotherjonv

and if you knock me out of 4000th place on any of the strava segments down there I’ll come looking for you!!

skaifan
    Free Member

Traffic free in Guildford! Hahahahahahahaha

A25 from Albury to dorking is fairly flat until Wotton. Don’t know about 20 minutes though. I don’t roadie.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I was going to suggest A25 but it’s not that straight and goes through a number of villages

@theotherjonv 🙂

J-R

Flat for 20 mins? This is the Surrey Hills, not Suffolk.

I think you would have to look for something north of Woking, South of Cranleigh, or go for A24/A29 south of Dorking.

gee
    Free Member

You could use the A24 around Dorking and do loops round the roundabouts?

Otherwise I’m struggling.

dovebiker

Possibly towards Pirbright – the A323 or A324 are relatively steady and without lights but you’d need to do an out and back. The nearest TT course to Guildford starts on the A31 at Bentley heading to Chawton, but it still has a downhill, but you can start from the Coxbridge junction at Farnham. Been riding in the region for 25 years and struggling to think of others – possibly the A281 south from Bramley but there are lights near Cranleigh.

njee20
    Free Member

Also struggling to think of places not mentioned. A25 sprung to mind, but you’ve got lights at Clandon.

You could do worse than finding a loop somewhere, head south to Cranleigh, you could go past Cranleigh School, down Smithwood common road, through Rowly on the B2130 and round. Left turns only, no lights. Could do the same around Shalford-Bramley-Wonersh, but that’s busier.

Sure there are plenty of options like that though.

methers27
    Free Member

Try the A3100 between Godalming and peasmarsh, 1.5mile flat smooth road, roundabout at each end to turn at, and the only lights are a pedestrian crossing at halfway, but it isn’t too busy. I would avoid it at rush hour, but that is where I would choose
    Edit: Link to strava segment

mrblobby
    Free Member

Have a look at the London South time trial courses for something local…

http://www.londonsouthdc.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/LS-2016-courses-v1.0.pdf

Usually flat or traffic free, sometimes both. Just google Strava and the code. 10 mile courses usually good for a 20 min test.

padkinson
    Free Member

Cheers for the suggestions, I think I’ll just end up doing it on the wattbikes in the gym.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

A serious suggestion – the south downs link ie the old railway line from Bramley to Cranleigh. Flat if a bit gravelly in places. I used to do running tests on their for the marathon.

The Pirbright/Normandy loops are where a lot of TT take place but quite busy.

joolsburger
    Free Member

From Kingston Bridge to Weybridge along the Thames or vice versa. Flat and an easy 20 mins. Hampton Court Road then Follow the A3050 – Traffic is light in the week and mostly empty on a Sunday morning. Follow the Guildford canal route to the Thames via west Byfleet/Brooklands BTW it’s a nice ride in itself.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Flat/traffic free roads near Guildford’ is closed to new replies.