Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Flats – Another pair of MG1's? Anything better?
  • RustySpanner

Only ever used Wellgo MG1’s.

To me, they seem fine.
    Comfy, light, grippy, cheap.
    Seem to last two or three years.

I hear a lot about Nano’s and the various clones, but not sure which are the one’s to go for.

Am I going to notice a difference in grip and comfort, or just spend more for a heavier pedal?

Any other suggestions welcome, thanks.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Impressed with my steele industries flats, lighter than my mg1s and about same money. Also slimmer body and ally so they won’t disinegrate and loose pins like mg1s

warpcow
    Free Member

I personally prefer Nanos as they’re slimmer and don’t shed pins as easily. Mine are from Exotic/Carboncycles, who happened to be cheapest when I bought them many moons ägo.

roblane65
    Free Member

got a pair of superstar mag pedals about 4 1/2 yearsago and still going strong,after about a year converted the silly m3 pins to m4 allen head bolts through from the back works great.

patagonian
    Free Member

I’m in the process of buying another set of pedals too.
    Nanos are very good but if I’m being really picky I could do without the raised centre section. My favourites are the new V12s but are they really that much better than the Nanos or MG1’s……probably not worth worrying about when you consider they are a lot more money.
    So I think I’ll be going for another set of MG1’s.

superstu
    Free Member

Nanos for me. Nukeproof electrons not far behind (and lighter as plastic)

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

All about the vaults over here. Not cheap at double the price of the saints I had before and the dXs before that but worth it. I was very sceptical of spending that much on pedals and was unsure how they could just the price difference but they are comfortably better with a larger more comfortable platform and much better grip. Also they seem much tougher than they look. Mine have been battered but still have all pins and no real damage other than scratches.

thepurist

I’m going to throw SS Deltas into the mix too. A bit thinner than Nanos and grippier than MG1s

fd3chris
    Free Member

If you have wide feet I do recommend spank spikes.

asdfhjkl
    Free Member

Plastic Nukeproofs here. Light, have taken a beating but still going strong, and come in bright orange and enduro-yellow (if that’s yer thing).

giantriderjay
    Free Member

Gonna echo thepurist here – just bought some deltas and they are very impressive. Slim and grippy.

bartimaeus
    Free Member

I had MG1s on one bike and Nanos on the other for a couple of years, and for me the Nanos are just that bit better – so when the MG1s gave out I got another set of Nanos. They feel slightly bigger and more grippy, and they are thinner. But MG1s are lighter and are often a bit cheaper (though my 13 year old now has Nanos as they were 30% off for a day last Christmas!)

Not a great deal in it… both are great value.

tomkerton
    Free Member

I agree that Vaults are worth the £££

Northwind

I like the thin-ness of my Nanos and RSP Egos, but MG1s are good. Amazing value, if you want something as light and reliable but thinner you have to spend a lot more.

Wasn’t very impressed with vaults tbh. Massive platform but nothing else really going for them.

Rockplough
    Free Member

I went from MG1s to Nukeproof Electrons. Very impressed and will be my go-to pedal.

withersea
    Free Member

New nukeproof electron evos, lovely and much thinner than mg1s

andymc06
    Free Member

Superstar Ultra Mags, very lightweight and grippy. Failing that the new style DMR v12’s are similar to vaults but much cheaper. Might be worth checking the classifieds…… 🙂

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Had Nano Mags and love them but just bought a pair of Delta Mags and they feel pretty darn nice.

ceepers

I’ve got nanos on one bike and vaults on the other. The nanos are a great pedal but the vaults are definitely grippier and nicer. Worth the extra spend if you can

thegreatape
    Free Member

Uberbike have some pedals now – may well be similar if not identical to one of the Superstar models – but they look pretty decent. £45.

I like my Vaults though.

stu170
    Free Member

Love my v12s heavy, but sturdy and no pin loss issues for me

jonnyseven

+ 1 for SS delta’s. Had these a couple of months and very impressed

thepleasantpheasant
    Free Member

Used MG1s for years, now have a set of Nukeproof Electrons (slim, plastic clone). The slightly larger, slimmer platform of the Nukeproofs are noticeably nicer to ride with. More grip than the MG1s, for certain. More comfortable for longer distances too. Pins don’t smash out nearly as easily as MG1s either.

Go for it.

danbo
    Free Member

Nukeproof electrons again here. Very impressed with them.

Alex

I have a couple of pairs of superstar ultra mags. Very light, very thin. First set the paint mostly fell off but that’s not really an issue, the second set got really beaten up riding int he ardeche and the pins fell out (so now I loctite them). Grippy as well.

I have some old SS Nano’s still going strong. Bought some new UK made ones and they’ve been straight back due to dodgy tolerances. The replacements aren’t great either.

Bought a set of UberBike hammerheads (I think). Really like these, cheap, thin, light – pick 3!

colinpm1
    Free Member

Shimano Saints here. But more weighty than most flats but to be honest I don’t notice. Good long pins (once the spacers are removed) which can be swapped out in the event of breakage. Tried Vaults and V8’s in the past but found them too wide.

The Saints are spot on and have a nice concavity to the platform which (IMHO) make them more comfortable. Had them for just over a year and they are faultless in spite of the beatings they have taken.

Also CRC have them on offer at the mo.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/shimano-saint-mx80-flat-pedals/rp-prod82557

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

pedals are like saddles, everyone has different shaped/sized feet, and different shoes too, so have preferences accordingly.

I have a few different brands, but mag vaults are the best, for me, by miles.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Stolen throttle bmx pedals here. Been very very good but brutal in the pedal rash interface!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Flats – Another pair of MG1's? Anything better?’ is closed to new replies.