• This topic has 12 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by STATO.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Flatout cycles – be wary
  • matther01
    Free Member

Bought what was said to be a near immaculate condition Stanton switchback frame with no dents or dings…just cleaned it down with IPA to put on invisiframe to find shit loads of scratches all over it.

So they’ve either polished it up good and proper or not bothered to check it themselves from whoever sold it to them. It also has a tiny ding which you can only notice at a certain angle.

Had the frame a couple of months until I could build it up so can’t return it.

Just thought I’d warn folks to perhaps clean anything down with IPA on receipt of one of their “near immaculate” frames.

Not worried about the scratches…but pisses me off when the condition isn’t as good as suggested for the price paid.

http://flatoutcycles.co.uk/stanton-switchback-631-16-5-longtravel-650b-hardtail-frame-43847

mrsfry
    Free Member

I don’t think this is fair on the company. If you had checked it when you first got it the company could of had the opportunity to offer to do something about the frame with either a exchange or refund. It’s not there fault you never inspected it until now.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

You got a picture of the turd load of scratches?

preciousmetals
    Free Member

I once tried getting a price for them to buy a £5k SC weapon, guess what!
    They said they’d buy it once it had been checked and for £850. :0

You can imagine what I thought of them and it of course the deal never happened.

I’ve also heard of other ‘mare stories regarding not working forks etc.
    Problem is they just want to turn a quick good buck(s) without putting any graft in somewhat like these rogue type private traders popping up anywhere and everywhere.
    Boils my piss that they actually believe they’re doing the biking community a favour.
    Are they ####

iolo
    Free Member

Have you contacted them OP?
    Did you give them the option of responding to your complaint?
    Or have you just made your complaint on a major forum with out giving them the option to reply?

phunkmaster
    Free Member

Just for balance I have always had good dealings with them. Have sold to them and bought from them.

I didn’t expect to get ‘going rate’ for my frame but I was willing to take the hit to avoid dealing with one of the many tyre kicking PayPal disputers bike parts seem to attract.

That’s not a dig at you Mather01. I’m just glad someone will by my unwanted bike parts hassle free.

mattyfez

I’ve only had one dealing wwit them, bought a hard to find discontinued shifter, didn’t read the ad properly and it was a 3 speed front shifter, I wanted a rear shifter.. I noticed before they dispatched it, Emailed them, they refunded me swiftly, so can’t really complain.

matther01
    Free Member

Yes, I did send them an email, and yes I did inspect it, but you can only see the ding from an acute angle and under certain light. I’m not in the habit of wiping a frame down with IPA when it first arrives, but will be now.

Was only passing on a friendly note of caution.

Bike is fully invisiframed now and most of the scratches aren’t that visible thankfully.

Guess I’m just a bit pissed as I sold my raw switchback being completely honest as to the condition of it for the same price…and it was in a better condition.

nwill1
    Free Member

Flatout’s stuff always looks ‘well used’ but they seem to ask for top prices! I’ve always avoided them, guess people buy from them as they feel they can trust them.

Northwind

Have you spoken to them?

mrsfry – Member

I don’t think this is fair on the company. If you had checked it when you first got it the company could of had the opportunity to offer to do something about the frame with either a exchange or refund. It’s not there fault you never inspected it until now.

It is their fault they sent out an item that’s not as described, though. If the OP’d moved faster maybe it would have been easily fixed but that’s not really the problem…

iain1775
    Free Member

but you can only see the ding from an acute angle and under certain light

FFS get out and ride it, have fun on it and enjoy it
    It’s a bike for riding outside not hanging on a wall and looking at under spotlight

Ok it may not be exactly as described but if the ding can only be seen under a new moon, on the 1st of the month when squinting and after washing in IPA they can probably be excused for missing it themselves (IMO)
    Looks like a decent price, £200 off new if that is all that is wrong with it

Did they reply to your email before you flamed them here?

Guess I’m just a bit pissed as I sold my raw switchback being completely honest as to the condition of it for the same price…and it was in a better condition.

If you sold your frame, to buy the same but a different colour, where you rebuilding with the same bits, if so, why wait that long before even properly inspecting the frame? If not, still inspect it the minute it arrives

Sundayjumper

…you can only see the ding from an acute angle and under certain light

I would suggest that, if this is a big deal to you, you shouldn’t be buying second hand kit.

STATO
    Free Member

nwill1 – Member

Flatout’s stuff always looks ‘well used’ but they seem to ask for top prices! I’ve always avoided them, guess people buy from them as they feel they can trust them.

I sold a frame on ebay to another of these s/h re-sellers, I was slightly worried as my pictures of it were quite flattering but id took lots to show all the marks and gave a detailed honest description. It was on their site 2 days after I posted it with some very flattering pics and no info on any of the hidden cable rub or the detail id noted, and at double the price. Its sold not long after once they dropped the price a little, but someone still paid over 50% more than it was bought from me as the seller was ‘trustworthy’ due to being seen as a dealer. I accept there is safety in buying from these people as they will likely handle returns with no complaint, but IMO some are just as dishonest in what they advertise anyway.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Flatout cycles – be wary’ is closed to new replies.