Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Flat shoes with 2 provisoes…..
  • rOcKeTdOg

Must be as grippy as a 5:10 but stiffer than a 5:10 for pedalling.

I find 5:10 soles start out reasonably stiff but soon go “baggy” pedalling a heavy fat bike up hills. But i do like a flat pedal on technical stuff so not really wanting a 5:10-a-like with a cleat.

Any ideas?

chakaping
    Free Member

Nothing is as grippy as a 5:10.

Apart from maybe those Adidas Terrex shoes, but I dunno if they’re stiffer or not.

Don’t 5:10s come in dozens of models now anyway? There must be a stiffer one.

paton
    Free Member
    rOcKeTdOg

Interesting

stuker
    Free Member

spesh 2fo. stiffer than my 510s and grippy too

big_scot_nanny

I just got a pair of the Terrex fellas, the ones with the ankle cuff, use interchangably with Spesh 2FO (not grippy, hard plastic inside hurt my toes) or 5.10 impacts (too HOT, and heavy)

I think the Addidas fit your bill, my favourite shoe now.

big_scot_nanny

should add the spesh 2FOs are not grippy beacuse the soles have worn very fast (same as my old shimano AM) and they move about.

Terrex I used for 4 days round the Portes du Soleil last weekend, very impressed.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Good thread will watch with interest. Inside a year old five tens are so flexible they make the bottoms of my feet ache but I don’t want anything less grippy than a regular five ten. Wasn’t even a fan of the contact version as found they moved too much.

jedi

Giro jacket are my favourite

psycorp
    Free Member

Which terrex version are we talking about. There seems to be many.

EDIT

I assume it’s the TrailCross as they have the Stealth sole?

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Have you tried the freerider pro? I’m only a couple of rides in but feel stiffer than the normal freeriders.

martinhutch

I wonder if you could stiffen up 5.10s by changing the insole for something a bit stiffer, maybe one of those with a thin metal plate in the toe box.

warpcow
    Free Member

As someone already mentioned, which 5.10s are we talking about? Impact and the Danny MaCaskill one are noticeably stiffer than a standard Freerider (the Danny Mac is perhaps slightly less grippy).

GolfChick
    Free Member

I was contemplating the free rider pros but if the same happened again I’d be truely pee’d off so was waiting for some feedback and experiences from others.

Northwind

Yup, as above, 5 10 stiffness varies a lot, the Impact VXI frinstance is a lot stiffer than my freeriders (I hated ’em for that reason but other folks like it)

bowglie

I’m on a similar search for the perfect flat shoe. Have got…er..a few pair of Fivetens (original & new Impact, various models of Freeriders), so familiar with the pros and cons. Also got some Spesh 2FO’s – I like the stiffness and comfort of these for longer XC type rides…BUT, find they demand good technique to maintain grip when the terrain gets rough in places like the Peak, Snowdonia etc. Even with heels right down, I’ve felt my feet aren’t as locked in as the dotty tread Freeriders.

Latest shoes I’m trying are Ion RAID Amp’s. I’ve only had them about 6 weeks, but have ridden my regular Peak stuff, Glentress/Tweed Valley and Coed y Brenin red & black. They feel as supportive as the 2FO’s, but I’d say there is slightly more feel of where you are on the pedal (maybe because they’re narrower than 2FOs), and grip seems to be around halfway between a normal Freerider and the 2FOs. Again, you have to pay more attention to keeping your feet weighted and heels down in rougher terrain, but personally, I can live with the trade off for other benefits.

HTH & good luck with your search. Please let us know how you get on.

wl
    Free Member

I liked my Giro Jackets but they defo weren’t as grippy as my Five Tens and the soles didn’t last as long, plus they were probably no stiffer. Having said that, uppers were still like new when I had to chuck them out after around 1 year.

richwales

Adidas terrex are noticeably stiffer than 5-10 freeriders and the old impacts. The grip is on a par with them.

GavinB

I’ve never heard of those Adidas shoes, but they look really good.

I’m currently swinging between some Shimano AM7s and an old pair of Teva Links. Big difference between them – I like the mud shedding ability of the AM7, but they are much less grippy and less stiff then the Links.

I was getting sore feet on long descents wearing the Shimano ones, so switched back onto the Tevas for now, but when they wear out I’d probably head towards those Adidas ones.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Stiffness is a difficult one to be honest, as lots of people compare their old used shoes to the nice new ones that they have just bought, of course they’ll feel stiffer.

Also a common issue with folks getting new brakes.

richwales

Plug for pair of teva links for sale if that’s ok?
    Link

lardman
    Free Member

My 5.10 ‘impact High’ boots are much stiffer than my ‘Freerider contacts’.

chiefgrooveguru

5.10 ELC has the stiffest sole of the non-DH 5.10s, stiffer than a normal Elements which is stiffer than a normal Freerider, which is stiffer than a Spitfire.

5plusn8
    Free Member

I am confused about the Addidas Terrex recommendations.
    There are 40 odd models here? They seem like trainers?
    http://www.adidas.co.uk/men-terrex-shoes
    Which ones?

joemmo
    Free Member

Yup, Terrex Trail Cross is the one. It’s a good shoe, built more like a hiking trainer than a skate shoe so the materials deal with wet and mud well. Also has a little bit of tread on the toe and heel with the pedal surface using the same rubber as the 5-10s. (Adidas own 5-10…)

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Flat shoes with 2 provisoes…..’ is closed to new replies.