Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Flat shoe recommendations please
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’ve got some Five Ten Freeriders. They are fantastically grippy shoes but don’t offer enough arch support for me and also take waaayyyy too long to dry out (they got wet on Monday; it’s Thursday and they’re still not quite dry!).

Recommendations to solve the arch support and slow-drying problems please

In-soles?
    Waterproofing spray to help the water bead off a bit better?
    New shoes?

Only ride once a week

If you must ride more often, buy more pairs and alternate

Can’t help with the arch support, but I like to think I’ve solved the slow-drying issue for you…

stilltortoise
    Free Member

😆

Thanks. To be frank that’s a considerably more practical suggestion than I dare to admit 🙁

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    darrenspink
    Free Member

Agree with ^^

I have two pairs of shimano am41s. They dry a whole lot quicker (or maybe don’t get as wet) as my last five tens but still not overnight.

Insoles for your arches, and maybe invest in a shoe dryer if not another pair of shoes.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Are the AM41s as grippy?

beamishblue

Why not just use sealskins socks with the damp shoes?

Superfeet insoles are great.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I have one of these, http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Shoe-Dryer/18-4300

Shoes are dry in about an hour and a half

chakaping
    Free Member

Grab yourself a pair or two of these…
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sombrio-float-low-top-shoes/rp-prod114744

Wear them on rotation. I usually have two pairs drying at any one time. Dunno how people live with just one pair of bike shoes.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Why not just use sealskins socks with the damp shoes?

Never been that impressed by Sealskins. Also, call me a wimp, but I prefer to put on dry shoes at the start of a ride 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Oh, and you need insoles for the arch support.

I use Formthotics and swap them between shoes, other brands are available, there was a thread recently.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

In true STW fashion – You need a woodburning stove.

My Five10’s are always dry next day. 😀

chiefgrooveguru

Put newspaper in them after they get soaked (I always assumed everyone did this?) I’ve got some unwanted orthotic insoles (the medium arch support Specialized ones in a 9-ish) you can have for nothing.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

^thanks. Where are you and what’s the most convenient way to get them to me.

Ta

thegreatape
    Free Member

My 2FOs dry very quickly.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Are the AM41s as grippy?

Not quite, the new version AM7 might have improved on that.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

2FOs do dry quicker than most other flat pedal shoes. get 2 pairs, job done. if the arch support in them feels too flat (i find them to be okay personally), insoles fix that.

mattbee

My wife has 2fo and they seem to absorb less water than my Teva & Freeriders. Once they are wet they still need time to dry out though.
    We have a dehumidifier in the conservatory/junk storage/winter clothes drying room anyway so I just stick them in front of that and they are usually dry within 24hrs.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

2 pairs of Vans in the sales, alternate them and have Sealiskins.

jam-bo

My riding shoes live on top of the boiler this time of year, generally dry but at least start warm if they are wet.

Currently using am40 somethings, the model before the Star Trek version. Plenty enough grip for me.

Eyeing up some adidas terrex cross for the summer.

Or some of these:

http://www.v12outdoor.com/product.php/7594/five-ten-mens-guide-tennie-mid-gtx

crapjumper
    Free Member

Wot chakaping said ??

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Currently using these 5 10 tennie guide

They are approach shoes and do have an arch support, build quality is far superior to 5 10s normal mtb specific shoe, the grippy sole is same as the mtb shoes, will be looking for second pair on pay day.

jam-bo

Currently using these 5 10 tennie guide

They are approach shoes and do have an arch support, build quality is far superior to 5 10s normal mtb specific shoe, the grippy sole is same as the mtb shoes, will be looking for second pair on pay day.

mine are just falling apart after 1 year of daily use.

alexh
    Free Member

Chakaping pointed it out.

Sombrio float. 20 quid. Stiff, grippy sole. They dry quick too. Far better than my vans I was using and way lighter than my am 41’s when they get wet. I had a very wet ride yesterday and they held up way better than expected. I did wax over the vent holes in the toe area though.

timber

I got some Addidas Terrex, seem to dry in reasonable time if not left out, pretty comfy, enough grip on the pedals and better than skate shoes off them. Use Stealth Rubber. Did have to get them from Europe, limited or non existent distribution here.
    Some very Euro, green and yellow came versions too.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I bought a pair of Sombio Loam mid shoes from CRC for £20 and really, really can’t fault them. Almost as grippy as 5 10’s but better made, dont act like a sponge in the wet and dry quickly when they do get wet. I thnk thry offer better support for pedalling too.

kevster
    Free Member

Cheers for the heads up, well worth a try at that price!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Flat shoe recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.