• This topic has 7 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by tomd.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Flat roof replacement (garage) – fibreglass versus rubber
  • strike
    Free Member

Felt garage roof is coming to end of life as it’s starting to increasingly lift and leak in patches so time to consider replacement. It around 20metre-squared and due to the design must remain a flat-roof. As I understand it the 2 options are fibreglass or rubber but I don’t know any more than that…..

MoreCashThanDash

We replaced our asbestos garage roof with rubber about 5-6 years ago. Has withstood everything nature has thrown at it so far.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Firestone rubber on roof gives 25 year guarantee. Just need a decent roofer to fit i.e guarantee is for the materials amd not the roofers work.

sharkbait
    Free Member

[no help]
    We have a [garage sized] beach hut in a row of 5 that all had fibreglass (over ply) roofs. After about 25 years they were seriously deteriorating and at least one hut had the fibreglass skin peel off in a storm.
    We all had them replaced about 5 years ago with rubber and they’ve been great so far.

Would I use rubber again? Yes definitely.
    [/no help]

RicB

I asked this a few months ago, and the consensus seemed to be both are good, rubber perhaps slightly more dependent on a good fitter but the main difference is fragility- if people walk on the roof go for fibreglass, if not go for what your preferred/recommended installer normally uses

IMO the boarding under the roof is far more important than the roofing material. If the boards are rubbish/move then any roof material will leak sooner or later

jam-bo

EDPM is pretty easy to DIY.

fibreglass less so.

jonno101
    Free Member

EDPM is pretty easy to DIY.
    fibreglass less so.

I would say the opposite to above. GRP can make a load of popping noises. One builder said to avoid this screw down ply sheets with 100mm centres (not 300-400).

or OSB!

tomd
    Free Member

Our inherited flat roof extension has a GRP roof. I think it’s about 20years old and sound but one of the main pluses for me is that is easy to DIY repair. I’ve done a couple of patches and covered a hole where I removed a redundant flue. It was easy to do with a automotive repair kit + suitable pigment and the patches have held no problem. I’m pleasantly surprised, I’d always been conditioned to hate flat roofs.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Flat roof replacement (garage) – fibreglass versus rubber’ is closed to new replies.